Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Looking for riding group (40's/50s/60s)...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...my old weekend cycling group down in Miami is now beyond their cycling years, so am looking for a new group in the Davie area of Broward County, Florida...

FYI - I've checked out the SBW, but it seems they're not interested in a new member unless you have a bike worth at least $5,000 and ride at least 25 mph...

I'm what we called many years ago a "moderate" cyclist (13-16 mph), but am good for rides of at least 25 miles and am working back to at least a half century (I'm in my mid-50s)...

If anyone here happens to live in this area (I'm sorry for you) please post here, though I've tried this before with no success, so am not getting my hopes up, and while I like my Saturday/Sunday morning rides by myself, there's nothing better than companionship...

Thanks,

Glades2

Last edited by Glades2; 07-21-10 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Grammar...
Old 07-21-10, 02:55 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't live in your area- but I was looking for a group to ride with. Found a couple but not for me. The local Cycling club is into T.T.'s and they are far too fast for me. They have an "A" group and an "A" group- forget it.

Then locally there is a group that rides from my local town on Sunday mornings. Been out with them a few times but not certain if it is me or them but I don't quite mix with the fast group. They all have "Vintage" bikes and as I Can't tell a Sora from a Centaur group unless it is written in big letters (Eye sights going) I am not quite there with them. Plus the fact that I can't see the sense in slogging up 15% slopes with a Standard Crankset as that was what was Originally fitted to this bike. They have an older group that once again is on vintage bikes but sensible adjusted for the riders capabilities. 22 granny rings are common within this group and speed is sensible but not quite the ride I would like to go on.

So for the past 4 years- since I went road- I have mainly ridden solo. Prefer it that way as I don't have to listen to inane chit-chat about how good the 30lbs steel bike they ride is so good- or struggle to stay with the 25year olds on the flat- let alone on the slopes. I just put on the I-Pod and ride till the Pie stop is warranted- and then ride again.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-21-10, 03:31 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
You might try posting this in the SouthEast Regional forum too.

Good Luck and Happy Trails...