Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

They Finally Arrived

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

They Finally Arrived

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10, 01:48 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They Finally Arrived

For about 2 months I have been shopping for a pair of Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX 320tpi tires, they had to be red or black (first choice was red). Most merchants didn't have them in stock, those that did wanted an arm + leg. Finally cbike got a pair of blacks in stock and offered them at a very good price so I picked them up. Today I mounted them up on the Tarmac and tried them. They are replacing a pair of slightly used Gatorskins which I will keep in stock for my Simoncini.

I took them for a 28 mile spin with a 1200' climb just to see how they do in varied terrain. I started out over some really nasty streets in Schenectady, they road well. I tried them on a stretch of windy bike path, they handled well. I tried them on some smooth flats, they spun up easily and my perception was the bike seemed a little easier to push (although not scientific by any means). They climbed well, had good traction and the high speed descent was rock solid.

All in all - a good tire although I hear they will wear out quickly. That's OK - the Tarmac is getting set up as my club ride & hill climb bike. My Simoncini will take on the roll of morning training rider and century rider, it will keep the Gatorskins until it's current set + the three I have in stock are all worn out, then depending on how the Vittorias actually do wear for me, I will see what it gets.
Old 07-25-10, 02:30 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You should have waited for the red pair- and others can give you the main reason.

I run Michelin Pro Race 2/3's and I like them. Not convinced that they are any better than any other tyre in the performance range but it is my choice. Had a problem with my Son-in-laws bike and I replaced the Lithions that were on his bike with my spare wheels- Pro-Race 2's and he swears they are quicker than the Lithions. What he didn't know was that last week I put his Lithions back onto the wheels he is borrowing (Same colour and they do look the same) And he hasn't come back to me yet saying the bike is slower

He will next week as I am running out of spare tyres and he now has the OM stock wheels that came with his FCR1 and kenda 700x26 tyres. That was one tyre I was glad to get rid of.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-25-10, 03:40 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Are you required to have a drogue 'chute on your bike when you use tires like that?
Old 07-25-10, 03:50 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Are you required to have a drogue 'chute on your bike when you use tires like that?
No - I carry enough dead weight as it is...
Old 07-25-10, 03:50 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Geez . . . color matters?
Old 07-25-10, 07:18 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Geez . . . color matters?
Well yea!
Old 07-25-10, 07:38 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Please, oh please tell me that you didn't get them at a 'Blow Out Sale'!

Actually, kudos to you for waiting to get the tires of your choice at a fair and reasonable price. It just goes to show that "Good things come to those who wait." Or, er, is it "The early bird catches the worm."?

Oh crap. Now I'm all confused again. Just ignore this post, I think I may have just fried my cerebral circuitry, and my head hurts too.

Anxious to see some pictures of the Tarmac with her new skins.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 07-25-10 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-26-10, 03:45 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probikekit has them for $42 and if you enter TDF10 in the promo code you get an additional 10%. And in red!
Old 07-27-10, 06:11 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kr32
Probikekit has them for $42 and if you enter TDF10 in the promo code you get an additional 10%. And in red!
They are in the UK - a couple of little gottcha's:
  1. "International delivery charges for orders sent to countries outside the European Union is charged at a flat fee of £12.00 regardless of order value."
  2. For orders outside the U.K. please allow 28 days for delivery.

I think I did quite well enough, I had them on my door within 4 days of placing the order and the shipping was very reasonable.
Old 07-27-10, 06:14 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Anxious to see some pictures of the Tarmac with her new skins.
I will need to to another ride worth taking pictures on - if I stay home this weekend I'll probably climb the escarpment but I was planning on using the Simoncini - maybe the Tarmac will be a better choice. There are awesome views from the top and that would make some great photo-ops.
Old 07-28-10, 03:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
  1. "International delivery charges for orders sent to countries outside the European Union is charged at a flat fee of £12.00 regardless of order value."

I think I did quite well enough, I had them on my door within 4 days of placing the order and the shipping was very reasonable.
Checked out the site you got them from and have to say you did do well!
Thanks for sharing that. I am always finding new places to buy stuff from members on this forum.
Old 07-28-10, 05:19 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclinfool

Those are nice riding tires. I used a pair last year on my race bike for training and some races before I got my carbon tubular wheel set. Watch the rear tire and switch it to the front before it gets too worn.

Did PBK change it's pricing and shipping? I purchase from them all the time and have never paid any taxes, delivery charges and shipping and handling charges. Most recently I purchased a pair of Conti GP 4000 S for a total of $68, about the same as the price for one in my LBS before the 7.5% sales tax.
Old 07-28-10, 07:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet

Did PBK change it's pricing and shipping? I purchase from them all the time and have never paid any taxes, delivery charges and shipping and handling charges. Most recently I purchased a pair of Conti GP 4000 S for a total of $68, about the same as the price for one in my LBS before the 7.5% sales tax.
I did the same but could not remember how long it took to get here, I think less than two weeks.
Old 07-28-10, 05:45 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Those are nice riding tires. I used a pair last year on my race bike for training and some races before I got my carbon tubular wheel set. Watch the rear tire and switch it to the front before it gets too worn.

Maybe they don't inforce the shipping charges and set the delivery expectations low so customers will be happily surprised. I will consider them for a purchase in the future - and test to see if they perform well. Although I do hate taking my business out of country.