Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Good Trunk Mounted Rack?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Good Trunk Mounted Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 11:46 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good Trunk Mounted Rack?

I'm tired of cramming the bike behind the seats of my Camry (hybrid) on those occasions when I need to haul it to the LBS, or to the start of a ride. Taking the front wheel out is no big deal, but I also have to pull the seatpost (68cm bike), then put it back in precisely with a tape measure, and that is a pita, as is making sure I don't get grease on the car seats - a process destined to fail now and then.

Anyone have a brand of trunk mounted rack they like?
Old 07-26-10, 11:56 AM
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2 Saris Bones trunk racks, best rack I have ever had and I have had a few. Paid 120 for each about a year ago but have seen them on Craigs List for as low as 40 wish I had checked Craigs List first. They have a 2 and a 3 bike rack.
Old 07-26-10, 12:08 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
I'm tired of cramming the bike behind the seats of my Camry (hybrid) on those occasions when I need to haul it to the LBS, or to the start of a ride. Taking the front wheel out is no big deal, but I also have to pull the seatpost (68cm bike), then put it back in precisely with a tape measure, and that is a pita, as is making sure I don't get grease on the car seats - a process destined to fail now and then.
1. Scribe your seatpost or mark it with a piece of tape and it'll be much easier to get it back at the right height. 2. Buy a canvas drop cloth at the paint store to protect your seats when you carry your bike inside.

Having said that, I'll also cast a vote for Saris Bones - it comes in 2-bike or 3-bike versions. The straps have secure cam locks which keep them from loosening as you drive and it has no rustable parts.
Old 07-26-10, 12:17 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
+1 for a Saris Bones rack.
https://www.saris.com/bike-racks/vehi...unk-racks.html

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-26-10, 12:25 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a tape measure for setting my seatpost because I'm still playing with tiny changes in the seat position, not to mention what happens if you switch seats. Though I've considered marking the post in such a way I could visually adjust it to slightly different settings without the tape. Tarp is probably better than the big towel I use, but I'd have to go buy one that isn't already so dirty it wouldn't help much.. plus I'll be taking atrip and want to bring the bike -and- have a dog in the back seat. Asked my wife to go, and she said no, but the dog says *yes!*.

And this is a good example of the value of the forum. In my searches, I hadn't run across the Saris, and it looks like just the thing.
Old 07-26-10, 12:36 PM

Bikes: '07 Felt F85, '14 Cervelo S3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you use a tail light, slide it down all the way to the clamp. Then all you need to do is to slide the seat post till the taillight is flush on the clamp. But be careful, if you put too much pressure, the taillight itself might move on the seat post.

On another front I have seen people complaining about the Saris bones putting too much weight on the rear bumper causing the top of the bumper to break the internal clamps which holds it. I tighten my top and side straps so that very little of the bike weight is actually resting on the bumper.
Old 07-26-10, 01:19 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I have the 2-bike model of the Saris Bones. I'm reasonably happy with it. As I have a hatchback, I have to take it off when I'm not using it, but installation takes about 2 minutes. It's so easy to remove that I stow it in my car while I"m out for a ride, as I want to be sure that it's still there when I return. My one complaint is that the arms are a little wobbly, but I haven't had a problem securing the rack and the bike
Old 07-26-10, 01:26 PM

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Would those of you who own these (Saris Bones) trust them for a fairly long drive (300-500 miles) at interstate speeds (70+)? I'm concerned about the bike (not easily replaced) and of course marring up the car.
Old 07-26-10, 01:57 PM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team road bike, Giant XTC mountain bike , Bike Friday Pocket Llama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Thule Speedway 2 bike rack. It's very light, easy to adjust, and holds the bicycles very well. I definitely would trust it for a long trip on the highway. As far as marring up the car is concerned, that is a risk with any trunk mounted rack. I think using a clear plastic film, such as 3M Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film, where the straps attach to the body panels is a good idea.
Old 07-26-10, 02:09 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgePaul
I have a Thule Speedway 2 bike rack. It's very light, easy to adjust, and holds the bicycles very well. I definitely would trust it for a long trip on the highway. As far as marring up the car is concerned, that is a risk with any trunk mounted rack. I think using a clear plastic film, such as 3M Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film, where the straps attach to the body panels is a good idea.
You have a good protection strip to go between the car and the hooks on the Bike rack already------Old Inner tubes cut to a sensible length.

No idea on the make of my Bike rack- had it for 20 years and it is a good firm one. The saris bones gets a lot of votes- but my "Old" cheap beastie is good enough for a 2,000mile round trip to the South of France. You can feel if one is good if you open it up off the car. If it feels solid then get it.

And this rack has taken 3 bikes on 200 mile trips and 4 bikes with the wheels off for the same distance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dover..jpg (72.8 KB, 16 views)

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 07-26-10 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-26-10, 02:44 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pars
Would those of you who own these (Saris Bones) trust them for a fairly long drive (300-500 miles) at interstate speeds (70+)? I'm concerned about the bike (not easily replaced) and of course marring up the car.
I have made numerous long trips with my Saris. I am leaving for St Pete FL in about 2 hours and it will be all interstate driving @ 65/70 mph. Put the bike on the back and forget it until I get their. The Saris has large rubber feet where it contacts the car. You could put something between the feet and the car if you like, I don't. Keep those areas free of dirt/grit and wax once in a while. You will be good to go.
Old 07-26-10, 07:02 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
My only trepidation for using the Saris for a long trip is the same that applies to any long car trip - what do you do when you stop at a restaurant/convenience store/rest stop etc.? If you're traveling with a nice bike, the risk of theft is pretty high. You have to carry a lock, remove the bike from the rack and lock it to something secure, etc.
Old 07-29-10, 09:42 AM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our Allen rack has been great. We drove across the country with it, and it was rock solid. Here we are in Yellowstone:

what do you do when you stop at a restaurant/convenience store/rest stop etc.?
Here's our solution: We lock the bikes to the towing attachment point underneath the car, using a large cable so we can enjoy our lunch stops.

Last edited by TromboneAl; 07-29-10 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-29-10, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Lots of love here for the Saris Bones, and with good reason. When I had my shop, I narrowed down my stock of trunk racks to include ONLY the Bones and Bones RS. They sold themselves. People would walk in looking for a rack, and as often as not, had already done the research and settled on the Bones.
Do any kind of online search for recommended trunk racks, and they will usually head the list. I could hardly keep them in stock.
I personally don't use a trunk rack type now, because my non conventional bikes require the hitch rack type, but I've driven to Florida and back with two bikes on a Bones with nary a problem.
Old 07-29-10, 02:12 PM

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
AzTallRider, I have a Saris Bones rack for 3 bikes that I no longer use. If you're interested, PM me. I am sure we can work something out.
Old 07-29-10, 03:55 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a Saris bones rack for a friend ($10 at garage sale). It looks like they rest on the bumper, right? I'm sure that's more secure, but you can't open the trunk with the rack attached, is that right?
Old 07-29-10, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I got a Saris bones rack for a friend ($10 at garage sale). It looks like they rest on the bumper, right? I'm sure that's more secure, but you can't open the trunk with the rack attached, is that right?
The bottom straps hook on the trunk lid, so you can open the trunk with the rack in place. Having the feet resting on the bumper makes for a nice secure footing, but the trunk opens easier, at least the rack stays in place better if the feet rest on the back of the trunk lid. Which option is employed is usually dictated by the car model, and whichever works best. I've installed them both ways.