Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cross training

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cross training

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 05:12 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cross training

About a month ago the health club at work gave me a session with a personal trainer as a birthday present. I choose one of the trainers who is also a good cyclist and explained to her what my activities were as well as my goals. She put together a 1 hour routine to work muscles that will balance my cycling - mostly to strengthen my back (upper and lower), abs and one for parts of the hips and thighs that cycling does not work hard. I cut out my dedicated hill climb night (moved the climbs to my weekend ride) and lost one of my two off days to fit these workouts in.

Week one was rough, week two a little better but still for two days after each session I walked around like an old man (Hey - I resemble that remark). This week is much better but still a little sore.

The interesting part is that I could ride just fine, the stiffness did not hurt my cycling, what these exercises were working were not heavily utilized while cycling. This morning on my training ride, my riding partner wanted to do a hard workout with some fast intervals, I felt my riding was better even though I was tired and would have rather had an easy ride. I was even able to do the hill sprints in the big chain ring.

I hate working out in the gym, but the outcome may be well worth it. I know some others here mix up their fitness routines. So far I am pleased with what I feel is happening. I would recommend it to others.
Old 08-05-10, 05:33 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I know I need to mix up the training as well. I'm in a rut. And there are two new clubs within a mile, I gotta do what cyclinfool does....... thanks for the Motivation.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 08-05-10, 07:14 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I tend towards doing nothing but cycling spring through fall. I've been trying to be better about doing stretching, crunches, push-ups and working with 10 pound hand weights.
Old 08-06-10, 09:36 AM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I have found that washing the cars instead of going to the local car wash saves $40. per weekend and is a fairly good aerobic workout. I do squats when cleaning the tires and just generally HTFU while washing. Let me tell you, trimming Pam Trees by hand from a ladder was a real workout as well. I have learned that I can find exercise and save some coins if I just move my butt.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 08-06-10, 10:23 AM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's plenty of research out there that shows that cycling, while a wonderful activity, does not cover everything you need to maintain your health. One particular item is that since it is not weight bearing, you are still at for osteoporosis (yeah, even guys, as you get older). As far as weight training actually helping on the bike, perhaps it's the result of building up your core muscles, but I don't really know.
Old 08-06-10, 10:24 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have included core and resistance training into my riding regime. My coach had me stop lifting weights and doing more core work using stability and medicine balls as well as doing various pullups, pushups and squats. I really find it hard to do the 45 minutes of pain after riding and only have around a 35% attendance rate. I do know the exercises are very beneficial and will do them with due diligence over the winter this year.

Some things I didn't think I could do, like pushups from a handstand against a wall, or 10 shoulder with palm facing away pullups with legs extended, or single leg squats without support, are now possible. How that equates to better cycling for me is that I can hammer out of the saddle for extended periods without blowing up the core muscles. It probably translates into seated ride too, but I can't isloate the benefit.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Oh yea, for the first time since college I've got a "beach stomach".
Old 08-06-10, 10:47 AM
Dan J

Bikes: 1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CF,

Can you be more specific about the exercises she has you doing? Thanx.
Old 08-06-10, 04:08 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chinarider
CF,

Can you be more specific about the exercises she has you doing? Thanx.
Nothing is heavy weights.
Lunges
bench press with hand weights - not a bar.
stiff leg dead lift (hand weights again)
planks & crunches
shoulder fly
inverted fly (on a machine)
row (on a machine)
something that works my hamstrings done with a big ball on the floor - don't know what it is called.

I think that's it - don't have the instructions in front of me.
It takes about 90 minutes to do all of it - for that last few times I have had less than an hour so I have had to cut a few things out.

As you can see - heavy concentration on the back.
Also - the lunges are the thing that hurts the most - it gets parts of my hips & thighs I don't work while cycling.
Old 08-06-10, 04:13 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I have included core and resistance training into my riding regime. My coach had me stop lifting weights and doing more core work using stability and medicine balls as well as doing various pullups, pushups and squats. I really find it hard to do the 45 minutes of pain after riding and only have around a 35% attendance rate. I do know the exercises are very beneficial and will do them with due diligence over the winter this year.

Some things I didn't think I could do, like pushups from a handstand against a wall, or 10 shoulder with palm facing away pullups with legs extended, or single leg squats without support, are now possible. How that equates to better cycling for me is that I can hammer out of the saddle for extended periods without blowing up the core muscles. It probably translates into seated ride too, but I can't isloate the benefit.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Oh yea, for the first time since college I've got a "beach stomach".
I seem to remember you making a comment to me when I mentioned working out my abs and I will repeat it back to you now: .... Pictures?
Old 08-06-10, 04:33 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
All my training is happy
Old 08-06-10, 04:56 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Oh yea, for the first time since college I've got a "beach stomach"
I have never had a "beach stomach" & the only 6 pack I have ever had was sitting in the frig.
Old 08-06-10, 04:57 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
So this has nothing to do with running up a muddy hill with your bike on your shoulder?