Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Clouds, Glorious Clouds!- A Positive Rant (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/669608-clouds-glorious-clouds-positive-rant.html)

billydonn 08-07-10 02:49 PM

Clouds, Glorious Clouds!- A Positive Rant

As alluded to in many recent posts, it seems like it's been miserably, even dangerously, hot weather forever. But we have mostly persevered. Well, the trend was broken here for me yesterday:

Cloudy- check
Temp in 70s- check
Low humidity- check
Moderate wind- check!

OMG, I do declare I am not the same rider when conditions are favorable! What an amazing difference! HR is ridiculously low, not even close to where it has been.... riding up formerly scary hills easily "sans granny". And today was just as good. Even though the sun was out, the other conditions were favorable and my nirvana experience was repeated. Supercyclist rides again!

Forgive me friends... I could not control my exultation. I now return to normal affective state and will wait for something horrible to happen. Something this good cannot last.;)

stapfam 08-07-10 03:03 PM

We even had a bit of dampness today although the wind was a bit strong. No ride though due to the "Annual" gathering of our Clan. Didn't quite come to Fisti-Cuffs but one of the young lads is 6" shorter now due to being hit over the head with a heavy object---repeatably.

Perfect day for riding and I hope it last's till tomorrow. Providing it all comes right- I might be able to beat someone up the hills. A mate of mine who moved from the area about 8 years ago has come back on holiday and is borrowing a bike so we can go- offroad.

cyclinfool 08-07-10 03:21 PM

Unfortunately all the other people you ride with just got better as well. :D

jppe 08-07-10 03:35 PM

Send us some!!! It looks like it's just going to get worse for us in NC this coming week.

Lower temps makes a world of difference in performance. I found that out today-except I had the opposite experience!

doctor j 08-07-10 03:38 PM

Clouds and cold wave in northwest Arkansas... upper 80's. Woo Hoo!

billydonn 08-07-10 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 11250241)

Not necessarily! 1. A good many people claim that the heat does not bother or inhibit their performance. 2. Those who did not persist in the heat may not have gained from training. 3. And, what the hey.... I would not care anyway. This feels great!

Dark lining: record heat warnings are on tap for this coming week.
Silver cloud: I am leaving to ride in Minnesota for a few days! :)

stringbreaker 08-07-10 07:30 PM

Boy you would love it here. Rain and clouds today. we've been dry and warm but not hot so the rain was actually welcome but it had to happen on the second day of our little town festival so that was a damper on things. Looks like a better trend this week like the last three weeks or so, cool cloudy mornings and the low clouds burn off about 1:00 in the afternoon and warm the rest of the day

stapfam 08-08-10 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 11250241)

Not this rider- and not on the bike he is borrowing. He hasn't ridden a great deal since he left here and has put on about 40lbs.

But back to that weather- Coolish this morning at around 65F- but it will warm up- Blue skies coming our way and just enough rain to keep the dust down. Only problem will be if he is so unfit that he won't be able to make the 6 miles to the hills. Then it will be a road ride to the Seafront.