Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hoping to forever remain an ex-Clydesdale

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 10:56 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Being unable to find any way to be younger than 50 again, I decided that something within my control was to become an ex-Clydesdale. I topped 200 in the mid-90s, peaking at 235 in 2001, dropping all the way down to 205 by 2003 before starting up the ladder again. Got back to 225 and stayed in that neighborhood for a few years - tipping the scales at 224 in October of 2009.

Then I finally started eating better, getting more regular exercise - including biking, and became more serious about losing weight. Most notably I cut way back in two areas - late night snacking and calories consumed from liquids. Stopped eating all chips, went to lo-cal snacks (like sugar free jello), and drank pretty much only water, skim milk, and diet drinks. I reduced my caloric intake by about 1000 calories a day.

And it worked, the pounds started coming off. I lost 3-4 pounds a month for the first 6 months, dropping to 203 by April. I leveled off a bit but continued to lose 2 pounds per month since then. This morning the scales (verified by doctor's scales) read 195.

Still have a ways to go to be in decent shape. But I feel so much better. I've been below 200 for 2 months now. Hopefully to never cross that line again. Would like to be at 190 by years' end.

My RANS recumbent weighs about 30 pounds, so I've essential lost an entire recumbent bike off of my frame since last October.
Old 08-18-10, 01:04 AM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Way to go. One of my weird beliefs is that exercise will NOT make us lose weight. We want to eat back the energy we expend. The real way to lose weight is the way you have, but cutting out the stuff that made you overweight. (Of course, we should exercise for it's many other benefits).
Old 08-18-10, 03:20 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go dude!
You did what I did and I am 183 now trying my best to get to 175. I was 215 when I said enough is enough.

I believe you will do what you say and never go back to the above 200lb club
Old 08-18-10, 06:06 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by kr32
Way to go dude!
You did what I did and I am 183 now trying my best to get to 175. I was 215 when I said enough is enough.

I believe you will do what you say and never go back to the above 200lb club
That's actually what I did. I was 215 and now I'm 185 and shooting for 180. Oh, I'm 6'2", and feeling great. Great going Tom
Old 08-18-10, 06:13 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Kudos and thanks for the encouragement.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-18-10, 06:14 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Way to go Tom. I need to lose about 10-15 pounds. I lost it when I first started biking but it crept back up - I guess my body adjusted to the higher level of excercise. I think in my case I simply have to go cold turkey on candy.
Old 08-18-10, 06:19 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I am at 206 yesterday. Hope to get below 200. At one time I was about 245 - many years ago. Thanks for the encouragement. In my mid 20's I worked as a summer ranger for the USFS, driving a 1 ton 4x4 with, apparently, no springs over dirt rocky roads. I was at 155!! I guess I bounced the weight off.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-18-10 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-18-10, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go Tom. Keep it off.
Old 08-18-10, 07:55 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
Way to go. One of my weird beliefs is that exercise will NOT make us lose weight. We want to eat back the energy we expend. The real way to lose weight is the way you have, but cutting out the stuff that made you overweight. (Of course, we should exercise for it's many other benefits).
Even if you ate back the same calories that you expended during the exercise, you would lose weight because the exercise increases metabolism. Also if the exercise increased muscle mass, the increase in muscle would burn more calories.

It is tough to lose weight solely by reducing calories because metabolism decreases to compensate for the reduction in fuel.
Old 08-18-10, 08:32 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
Originally Posted by gtragitt
Even if you ate back the same calories that you expended during the exercise, you would lose weight because the exercise increases metabolism.
From what I've read, this effect may not be large. e.g., https://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/a...logy/a/rmr.htm
Old 08-18-10, 09:33 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Being unable to find any way to be younger than 50 again, I decided that something within my control was to become an ex-Clydesdale. I topped 200 in the mid-90s, peaking at 235 in 2001, dropping all the way down to 205 by 2003 before starting up the ladder again. Got back to 225 and stayed in that neighborhood for a few years - tipping the scales at 224 in October of 2009.

Then I finally started eating better, getting more regular exercise - including biking, and became more serious about losing weight. Most notably I cut way back in two areas - late night snacking and calories consumed from liquids. Stopped eating all chips, went to lo-cal snacks (like sugar free jello), and drank pretty much only water, skim milk, and diet drinks. I reduced my caloric intake by about 1000 calories a day.

And it worked, the pounds started coming off. I lost 3-4 pounds a month for the first 6 months, dropping to 203 by April. I leveled off a bit but continued to lose 2 pounds per month since then. This morning the scales (verified by doctor's scales) read 195.

Still have a ways to go to be in decent shape. But I feel so much better. I've been below 200 for 2 months now. Hopefully to never cross that line again. Would like to be at 190 by years' end.

My RANS recumbent weighs about 30 pounds, so I've essential lost an entire recumbent bike off of my frame since last October.
Congratulations Tom.
Old 08-18-10, 09:39 AM
Hanging On

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The effect may not be very large, but the exercise allows you to feel how good the weight loss is (inspiration) and allows you to carry the weight you still have more easily (feels better). Well done, Tom and others. It is never easy to lose weight.
Old 08-18-10, 11:14 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good to read so many similar stories going on here in 50+. Along with lower weight and increased fitness has come lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels. My doctor is happier.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-18-10, 12:45 PM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Originally Posted by gtragitt
Even if you ate back the same calories that you expended during the exercise, you would lose weight because the exercise increases metabolism. Also if the exercise increased muscle mass, the increase in muscle would burn more calories.

It is tough to lose weight solely by reducing calories because metabolism decreases to compensate for the reduction in fuel.
gtragitt, I think you've restated my point. Think it through: If metabolism is increased, it means we are burning calories faster than before. If we're burning calories faster than before, then we will be be hungry faster than before.
Old 08-18-10, 12:55 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Great stuff! I'm sure "feeling better" is a terrific motivator to continue the healthy regime.

I'm fighting a few extra pounds these days---not a lot --but 2-4 lbs more than I normally carry this time of year. It's become more challenging to avoid the extra caloric intake that keeps me yo-yoing. I also know I could drop another 10 pounds of stuff that is not doing anything outside of helping to soften the saddle a bit. After losing 60 lbs, getting the last 5-10 lbs off has been been a bigger hurdle than I've been willing to take on.

Keep on with the great habits!
Old 08-18-10, 01:05 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Way to go, Tom!. I hit 185lb before returing to riding a few years ago . Now I'm 160 to 165 lb. If I go even a bit higher I feel it and don't like it. My climbing is getting faster, too.
Old 08-18-10, 01:15 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I love these kinds of inspirational threads. I only wish I had said enough is enough when I weighed as little as some of you.

When I was in my late 20s I was up to about 260 and decided to shed it - and I got down to about 212 or so, before it crept back on. Heck, I even did some citizen's class racing at the time, and participated regularly in our club's weekly TT.

But sadly, life and a poor relationship with food intervened and I found myself, at 50, just peeking over 300. After a few years of losses and gains, I decided in April of this year that at 264, enough really was enough, so my wife and I joined WW. This week I was down to 226. I actually feel for the first time in my life that a healthy weight is a realistic goal. I'm shooting for 165 ultimately, though I've been telling myself the new road bike reward will happen when I break 200, a weight I will not have seen since high school.

Great work, everybody!
Old 08-18-10, 01:27 PM
Spin Meister

By the way, one good thing exercise will do is burn off sugars before they turn into fat.
Old 08-18-10, 02:13 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Way to go, Tom. Your hard work, discipline and smart choices are paying off.

I'm convinced that to lose weight and keep it off requires both regular exercise and improved eating habits. Sure exercise makes you hungry. But you don't have to satisfy that hunger by eating the stuff that makes you fat.
Old 08-18-10, 02:39 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
There is no way that I am overweight at 150lbs unless I lose 6" off my height. But over the winter I have been putting on the odd Lbs or 5. When it got to 6 I was getting annoyed. Trouser size went up as it was all round the gut. More riding would get the weight off but that is not possible right now. So about a month ago I looked at my diet. Cut out the snacks. Lunch came from home instead of the bakers and I cut the sugar in my coffee by 50%. I drink lots of coffee.

But this weekend- I am back to 150lbs and the old trousers fit again.

Funny thing is that I don't miss the sugar- I do look at the Snackbars but don't touch them- but I still want a fat filled Steak and Kidney Pie and cake for lunch from the bakers.

You are right- Diet can play a heck of lot in the Weight gain stakes and it does take a bit of a change to get it right. Just hope that I can keep the loss off in the future. Looks as though you will.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-18-10, 03:11 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey CraigB.,

Way to go and keep that new bike in sight! I know it will be exciting choosing which one to get.

To me a weight lose program is more a life change program.
Old 08-18-10, 03:33 PM

Bikes: 08 Cannondale synopse 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congats on your loss, you will get there just keep up the good work. I finally got tired of having the extra weight (208 @ 5'11) and started to diet (eat healthier) and run 3 times a week and bike on my days off. Lost 29 lbs, since mid May and have 9 more to go (ideal weight 170 lbs). I really does feel better to bike at my lower weight and the hills are a little easier also.
Old 08-18-10, 03:58 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I too have announced a weight goal at home, with the reward of a new bike once I prove I can maintain my target. I haven't announced that part yet! I'm 6'6", and weighed 230# when I started this effort a week or so ago. I'm at 227 now, and want to get down to 210 and stay there. I haven't been that light since who knows when, but I haven't been exercising like this since, well... ever. Snacks have been my downfall. If I can lay off those, I'll be okay.

Great to see everyone making the weight commitments - it's such a huge health factor!
Old 08-18-10, 04:22 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great job Tom!

Umm, now that the aero-belly is disappearing you won't meet the physical requirements for riding your Rans Stratus. I, on the other hand, still have quite a spectacular aero-belly along with a thick full beard and long hair, and I always thought that the Rans Stratus was a great machine. So if you won't be riding it anymore.....
Old 08-18-10, 04:25 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kr32
Hey CraigB.,

Way to go and keep that new bike in sight! I know it will be exciting choosing which one to get.

To me a weight lose program is more a life change program.
Thanks! My goal is to get under 200 by the time the 2011s roll in so I can try to find a deal on a remaining 2010. We'll see how that works out.

And you're absolutely right about it being a life change program. And frankly, I chafed a little at the idea that I could no longer eat whatever the hell I wanted. But when the results starting showing themselves, I decided acting like an adult might not be such a bad way to live after all. If only pizza and donuts weren't so bad/good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.