Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Replacement for Lost Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/676663-replacement-lost-bike.html)

gtragitt 08-31-10 07:07 PM

Replacement for Lost Bike

I went to the LBS and scored a 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert. I was torn between this fine bicycle and the 2011 Expert. I could not get a delivery date for the new model and didn't want to be without a road bike.
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/y...Expertcomp.jpg

kr32 08-31-10 07:54 PM

ooohhhh nice!
well done

George 08-31-10 07:57 PM

Nice looking ride Greg.
Now all you need is for someone to find your other one and return it.
That would be to good to be true, right. Anyhow nice bike, enjoy.:thumb:

BluesDawg 08-31-10 08:39 PM

Nice bike. I took a few test rides on a blue one just like it. I was relieved when they sold it because I couldn;t afford it at the time. Now that I find myself without a fast road bike, I am looking seriously at the 2011 Roubaix Comp with SRAM Rival.

kennyc 08-31-10 08:50 PM

Wow, very kewl bike, I love the paint!
I am lusting for a road bike & was looking at a Specialized last week. Did you consider any other brand?
What brand bike did you "lose"?

Allegheny Jet 08-31-10 08:57 PM

My 2007 Roubaix Expert is the same red color but doesn't have the badass wheels with the white spokes and hubs, or the World Champ stripes. Your bike is way cooler.:thumb:

gtragitt 08-31-10 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by kennyc (Post 11390912)
Wow, very kewl bike, I love the paint!
I am lusting for a road bike & was looking at a Specialized last week. Did you consider any other brand?
What brand bike did you "lose"?

I lost a 2009 Roubaix Compact. It had 40 CM Ritchey carbon bars and Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels.

I rode a Giant TCR Advanced. It was quick and very responsive. It fit and was a great bike. They wouldn't deal on it even though it was a 2010 and the 2011's are coming out.

I also rode a Cervelo RS. The geometry didn't work for me. It was probably a good thing because it was way expensive.

gtragitt 08-31-10 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 11390947)
My 2007 Roubaix Expert is the same red color but doesn't have the badass wheels with the white spokes and hubs, or the World Champ stripes. Your bike is way cooler.:thumb:

Thanks for the compliment! I hope the Roval wheels perform as well as they look. The Mavic Ksyrium Elites were perfect for me.

gtragitt 08-31-10 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 11390873)
Nice bike. I took a few test rides on a blue one just like it. I was relieved when they sold it because I couldn;t afford it at the time. Now that I find myself without a fast road bike, I am looking seriously at the 2011 Roubaix Comp with SRAM Rival.

I was way luckier than you in how I lost my bike. Mine just came out of the rack and I had no injuries.

I hope you get a good insurance settlement so you won't have to compromise on what you buy.

BluesDawg 09-01-10 04:41 AM

Is that a demo model? I didn't see that color offered in 2010.

gtragitt 09-01-10 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 11392017)
Is that a demo model? I didn't see that color offered in 2010.

Yes it is a demo model. It will be rare to see that color on a 2010. That was part of the reason I bought it instead of waiting for the 2011. I was surprised Allegheny Jet had one that color.

From what I could read in Cycle News and on the Specialized web site the 2011 SL3 frame is 100 g lighter.

Allegheny Jet 09-01-10 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gtragitt (Post 11392064)
It will be rare to see that color on a 2010. That was part of the reason I bought it instead of waiting for the 2011. I was surprised Allegheny Jet had one that color.

Here is my 07' after taking the white bar tape and saddle off. The accent graphics are different than you model. I have since moved the Mavic Elite wheelset to my Tarmac Pro SL. I estimate the wheels have at least 19,000 miles on them with no issues or adjustments to date.

gtragitt 09-01-10 07:15 AM

Thanks for the photo of the 2007. I was planning on black bar tape when my carbon bars arrive. The LBS included new bar tape with the bike. They will wrap the bar when they install the new Ritchey 40 cm ergo bar.

I am also going to lose that heavy white saddle and plan on a lighter black one.

BluesDawg 09-01-10 07:34 AM

Jet, how do you like the Rival components on your Roubaix? any issues with the crank/BB?

Allegheny Jet 09-01-10 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 11392539)
Jet, how do you like the Rival components on your Roubaix? any issues with the crank/BB?

There have not been any issues with the crank or BB. At first the LBS couldn't seem to dail in the shifting from the little to big ring, but eventually got it worked out. The Rival on my bike has the "FD trim" on the small ring. I seldom use the small ring and experiance some rubbing at either end of the big ring depending how it's adjusted. I believe the newer Rival has the trim in the big ring. My Tarmac has Sram Force which has the trim in the big ring, which works wery well for me.

JanMM 09-01-10 01:52 PM

Buying a new bike to replace a disappeared bike does not satisfy n + 1.

BluesDawg 09-01-10 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 11394753)
Buying a new bike to replace a disappeared bike does not satisfy n + 1.

Only in the sense that nothing satisfies N+1. No matter how you get to your current value of N, you still need one more bike.

But losing a bike does qualify as N-1, and buying a new one qualifies as N+1. N is the number of bikes you have, regardless of how you got there.

Kurt Erlenbach 09-01-10 03:02 PM

Looks great.

JanMM 09-01-10 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 11395151)
Only in the sense that nothing satisfies N+1. No matter how you get to your current value of N, you still need one more bike.

But losing a bike does qualify as N-1, and buying a new one qualifies as N+1. N is the number of bikes you have, regardless of how you got there.

That makes perfect sense.

Nothing satisfies n + 1.

That's quite a bike, though.

gtragitt 09-02-10 04:43 AM

My deductible was greater than the value of the bike. The mods were close to the original cost of the bike. There was no claim.

I am not sure what my insurance options are for the new bike. The deductible for a Homeowners Policy is 1% of the total insured value. I was trying to find a separate policy for the new bicycle.

bradtx 09-02-10 08:05 AM

gtragitt, I'm not sure if it was due to a different style bar or the shape of the DA hoods, but I learned I'm fairly sensitive to lever placement. Ride the bike after the bar change, but before the tape is installed to ensure you can shift, brake comfortably and the hoods are in the right place... riding without tape is an odd sensation too, try to dismiss that.

Brad

Beverly 09-02-10 08:25 AM

Nice bike :love:

t4mv 09-02-10 08:31 AM

gtragitt, did you chance to note your lost bike measurements somewhere? At least if you knew the frame dimensions you could get the appropriate stem lenth & bar width/drop and work your way back from there, including what BradTX is suggesting. Have whoever's best at fit at the LBS put you on a trainer and spend the time to get you positioned right. That new bike's too nice to not fit right and be comfortable.

gtragitt 09-02-10 11:58 AM

I am buying the same bar that I had on the old one. The new stem is longer and the bars are lower. I think the wider saddle is the biggest issue for me now.

t4mv 09-02-10 12:21 PM

Oh, yeah, definitely replace w/ whatever saddle was working well for you on your last bike(s).