Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   What age is the beginning of "old"? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/67729-what-age-beginning-old.html)

DnvrFox 09-24-04 05:43 PM

What age is the beginning of "old"?

This poll is for 50+ members.

Okay - one of our 50+ members has stated that "55 is the beginning of old."

Do you agree?

Just what age is the beginning of "old," if any?

Now, this is just for fun. Don't take it seriously. :D :D

Red Baron 09-24-04 05:55 PM

There have been a few "OLD" times in my life, but I got over it. Proof that Age is in the mind. 2105 total miles for the year. Tried out my new (used- 2001) Lemond BA that arrived UPS today! Yea Hah!!!

DnvrFox 09-24-04 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Red Baron
There have been a few "OLD" times in my life, but I got over it. Proof that Age is in the mind. 2105 total miles for the year. Tried out my new (used- 2001) Lemond BA that arrived UPS today! Yea Hah!!!

I've got you beat! :D 3468 miles so far this year , and I LOVE my Lemond BA and so will you!

I think we could come up with a nice index:

(total miles for year) divided by (100 - nearest age)

My index would be:

3468/(100-65) = 99.08

I don't have a clue what is shows or proves, but it is kind of fun!

SSP 09-24-04 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I've got you beat! :D 3468 miles so far this year , and I LOVE my Lemond BA and so will you!

I think we could come up with a nice index:

(total miles) divided by (100 - age)

My index would be:

3468/(100-65) = 99.08

I don't have a clue what is shows or proves, but it is kind of fun!

I'm right behind you, with 3268 miles for the year!

As for the age question...it's a simple calculation:

Old = [Your Current Age in Years] + 10 :D ;) :D

DnvrFox 09-24-04 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by SSP
I'm right behind you, with 3268 miles for the year!

As for the age question...it's a simple calculation:

Old = [Your Current Age in Years] + 10 :D ;) :D

I see you voted "60"

Man, you really know how to hurt a fellow! Thanks a lot! :eek:

SSP 09-24-04 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I see you voted "60"

Man, you really know how to hurt a fellow! Thanks a lot! :eek:

Yeah...my bad. I should have read down to the end...if I had, I would have voted for the last one (you're only as old as you feel). But, hey, you're still 200 miles ahead of me!

DnvrFox 09-24-04 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by SSP
Yeah...my bad. I should have read down to the end...if I had, I would have voted for the last one (you're only as old as you feel). But, hey, you're still 200 miles ahead of me!

One of the signs of "old" is failure to completely read instructions!

Louis 09-24-04 06:41 PM

I voted for -- I am 50+ and old is in your mind. When you think your are "old," you are then "old." --

Age hasn't been a big deal to me...so far.

wfin2004 09-24-04 08:52 PM

Older than what....dirt? 55 is NOT the begining of old. I have not been in this good of shape since I was in my 20's. Losing weight and riding are the main factors in keeping me this ........"old".

megaman 09-24-04 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by wfin2004
Older than what....dirt? 55 is NOT the begining of old. I have not been in this good of shape since I was in my 20's. Losing weight and riding are the main factors in keeping me this ........"old".

I'm in better shape than I was in my 20s. What's sad is that I'm in better shape than a lot of guys in their 20s. Even worse is that I'm not in that great of shape.

Some days I do feel old. That only happens on days I don't ride. Riding= youth.

megaman 09-24-04 10:17 PM

Old is older than me! :D

boilermaker1 09-25-04 01:38 AM

Life expectancy in The United States is 77 years. That means that at 55 years of age you have alot more behind you than ahead of you. You're getting old. You sure aren't new.

Such thinking as "you're only as old as you feel" is wishful thinking and displays the modern American middle-class penchant for ignoring inconvenient facts behind a smokescreen of cheer, good fellowship and empty optimism. As though impersonal facts can be changed by having a proper personal attitude. Doesn't work.

Such an attitude also betrays an immature and shallow feeling that there's something wrong with being old, that's it's something to be ashamed of and so vigorously denied. Since one has no control over one's age I don't see why one should be ashamed of being old or interested in denying it.

greywolf 09-25-04 02:34 AM

Some day's I feel older than others , although I recovered quickly from my accident( 10 weeks to start cycling again & 14 to resume full duties at work) ,some days my leg realy aches after a hard shift at work & I know I'll never be able to ride with the same strength as I did pre-crash .Although I'm very happy that I can still cycle & work at my old job ,I know that if I was 20yrs younger I would make a fuller recovery!
Not to worry though I'm looking to change out my inner 42 c/ring for a 39, should help me up those hills I've been avoiding :o
I think if we think young we'lle stay younger a bit longer :beer:

ruchai 09-25-04 04:16 AM

To me old are any one 10 years older than me. Young are those 10 years younger than me! I am now 74 so any one more than 84 is consider old, those under 64 are just kids.

Red Baron 09-25-04 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by boilermaker1
Such thinking as "you're only as old as you feel" is wishful thinking and displays the modern American middle-class penchant for ignoring inconvenient facts behind a smokescreen of cheer, good fellowship and empty optimism. As though impersonal facts can be changed by having a proper personal attitude. Doesn't work.

Such an attitude also betrays an immature and shallow feeling that there's something wrong with being old, that's it's something to be ashamed of and so vigorously denied. Since one has no control over one's age I don't see why one should be ashamed of being old or interested in denying it.

I think you have this wrong Sir! DnvrFox asked what is Old, he also asked our age. The 2 are completely separate.
As admitted, I have 'old' days. As Dnvr points out in many posts, he meets alot of Young People in their later years.
I have NEVER been ashamed to say my age is years. But, I am sometimes sadden to see folks my age start to give up on life and finally reach a state of giving up the thrill of living. That is my definition of Old. It cannot be measured in Years. It is found in the mind. Some of the 'Oldest' people I have ever seen have reached it at quite an early age.

DnvrFox 09-25-04 05:19 AM

For some reason, we are getting folks not even 30 yo voting on this poll. One was born in 1976. Therefore, it sort of defeats the purpose of finding out attitudes of those 50+, and skews the results a bit.

Why someone who is not 30 would like to claim they are 50 is beyond me - and then they vote that 50 is "old."

Must have an "old" complex! :D

DnvrFox 09-25-04 05:33 AM

Life expectancy in The United States is 77 years. That means that at 55 years of age you have alot more behind you than ahead of you. You're getting old. You sure aren't new.

Wrong. Life expectancy at age 55 is 26 years (81 yo).

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr52/nvsr52_14.pdf

Yes, everyone living in the world is "getting old." The alternative is death.

That was not the question. The question was what is "old" - implying what is the view of the each 50+ yo members as to when they formally get "old" in their own eyes.

There are optimists in life and there are pessimists.

Personally, I find that as I think of myself as "younger" I do more things, am more active, and expect more of myself. For example, at age 65, I am in training for an entirely new career. I wouldn't do that if I had the mindset that I was old.

boilermaker1 09-25-04 09:18 AM

Denvr-----OK, I see if your'e already 55 you should make 81. That means that at 55 one is 2/3s done.

Now I'm not a pessimist, simply a realist. Time passes without regards to one's attitudes. And once so much time has passed one is old. Some things exist objectively. You can't "attitude" that passage of time away.

I don't go around thinking of myself as an old guy but I must admit that I'm getting old if asked. Just this year 2 of my friends had heart troubles and a third died from a stroke. This kind of thing wasn't going on around me when I was young.

Anyway have a great time being a healthy, creative, well-balanced old guy.
;)

Bop Bop 09-25-04 10:22 AM

Age is a state of mind. I see people in their 50's who go out and grab the gusto everyday. Then I see people in their 50's who have already given up.

I believe the mental is just as important as the physical. If you think you can you probably can. You may not always do it, but if you do not try you'll never know!

DnvrFox 09-25-04 11:07 AM

Denvr-----OK, I see if your'e already 55 you should make 81. That means that at 55 one is 2/3s done.

No, one is 2/3rd's started! Goodness - your glass is certainly half-empty!

And once so much time has passed one is old.

The question is - Just how much time is "so much time?" You and I see this entirely differently. Who in the world decided it was "55?"

but I must admit that I'm getting old if asked.

Just this year 2 of my friends had heart troubles and a third died from a stroke. This kind of thing wasn't going on around me when I was young.

I NEVER admit I am getting "old." To do so puts the person asking in a mindset that I am becoming incompetent and am ready for a rocking chair. Instead, I ask them if they would like to accompany me on a 30 mile bike ride. They always say "NO."

Yes, people get sick - both young and old. But the fact that my friend may be sick or dying does not make ME old.

I'm curious? Is your attitude about "old" similar to your attitude about other things in your life?

As I see it, I have two choices:

1. I can look at life as almost "done" and program my attitude and actions on that premise; or

2. I can feel that I still have 30 or more years to go (my mom is 91 and going strong) and act as if I am 30 or 40 and have a lot of fun, finding new experiences around the corner, new opportunities, new challenges.

I choose the 2nd option.

Red Baron 09-25-04 11:20 AM

AND YOUR POINT PERTAINING TO OLD IS???

Now I'm not a pessimist, simply a realist. Time passes without regards to one's attitudes. And once so much time has passed one is old. Some things exist objectively. You can't "attitude" that passage of time away.
PARDON ME WHILE I FAAART ... THERE I FEEL BETTER

I don't go around thinking of myself as an old guy but I must admit that I'm getting old if asked. Just this year 2 of my friends had heart troubles and a third died from a stroke. This kind of thing wasn't going on around me when I was young.
WHEN I WAS 22, I SAW MANY A PERSON DIE - SOME GOOD FRIENDS. EVEN HELPED A FEW UNKNOWNS ALONG (RVN). AFTER A YEAR OF THIS I RETURNED TO USA AND THAT'S WHEN I FELT THE OLDEST I HAVE EVER FELT. ODD- EVEN STILL TODAY IT WILL AFFECT ME IF I LET IT. AND I WILL NOT TRY TO ASK IF YOU HAVE EVER VISITED A CHILDRENS CANCER WARD.

Anyway have a great time being a healthy, creative, well-balanced old guy.
;)

Now- being sincere, all kidding aside, I see were you may be and feel somewhat sorry for you. And I don't mean that as an insult. I tried to touch upon this in a 'special question for 50+ thread'. I find that my friends become limited as I grow older. Why? Cause most of them - I just can't stand their attitude. Most complain of aches and pains and 'ohhhh' I ate too much, and 'damn its hard getting old" as they sit on the rocker on the porch, smoking a cig and popping another tab off a beer can. I find that the folks I seek out to enjoy life with are those who see the positive side of life. Yes - the price of living is extremely high. And one day I will be called upon to pay the price.
But - complain about getting old in front of me and I will remind you of the many who did not take the initiative to enjoy what life remains and prolong it as long as possible. Old in years - perhaps. Old in Spirit - NEVER!

Richard Cranium 09-25-04 01:41 PM

I think 50 is old, but I think all 50+ year-olds are way older than me.

DnvrFox 09-25-04 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
I think 50 is old, but I think all 50+ year-olds are way older than me.

:rolleyes:

One too many beers before posting?

The poll was for those 50+! The other voter who selected "50" is only 28!

Did you fail to comprehend the instructions? I know they were pretty complicated.

Here is the poll question that you and Raiyn answered:

I am 50+ and think that 50 is the beginning of "old" - - Raiyn, Richard Cranium

Was the "50+" the difficult part to understand?

And the correct grammar is:

" . . . are way older than I" - (not "me").

Surely you can find another forum in which to play!

boilermaker1 09-25-04 06:09 PM

Let me state one more thing and I'll let this go; I don't mean to be a pest.

I don't think that the recognition that one is getting old means that one must start slowing down or that one's attitudes should be determined by one's age.

On the other hand I fail to see how simply recognizing that one is getting old will make one change his attitudes either. It seems to me that some of you folks think you have to deny being old in order to avoid acting old, whatever that means to you, somebad bad evidently.

I, on the other hand, have no preconceived notions of what acting old is supposed to be or how one is supposed to feel when old. I'm the same fella I've always been, just older.

DnvrFox 09-25-04 06:13 PM

I don't think that the recognition that one is getting old
For me there is a great difference between "getting old" and "being old."

We are all "getting old" - even a newborn. None of us can fail to recognize that.

"Being old" is a state of mind that I do not entertain.

And, everything else being equal, I will live 7.5 years longer with my attitude then you will:

http://www.globalaging.org/health/us/positive.htm

But, I think this will never be resolved.

So, have a great day!