Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Birthday Ride (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/679344-birthday-ride.html)

kr32 09-11-10 04:06 AM

Birthday Ride

Not mine but my brothers. We are heading out in about an hour and a half from now. Around 7:30am.

He will be 65 and wanted to ride somewhere different then where he usually rides so he gave me a call and wanted me to plan out a route up where I live.
I am taking him to Cobb Island Md. so it should be close to 70 miles.
I think I am just as excited about riding it only because I will be riding with my brother.

http://cica.home.comcast.net/~cica/

cyclezealot 09-11-10 04:10 AM

Can't think of a better way to celebrate.. And certainly a century qualifies one for two pieces of birthday cake..
and a happy birthday to him...

stapfam 09-11-10 04:39 AM

Need a report from your brother when he gets back so we can find out if he can still slaughter his younger brother on a ride.
Wish him happy birthday and remember- it's his turn to buy the Pie.

Allegheny Jet 09-11-10 05:18 AM

Enjoy the ride and company. It is special to spend time with a brother or sister doing something you both did in your youth. One of my 5 brothers rides and when we get together a bike ride and/or fishing date is usually part of the occasion. The only problem is he lives 1,500 miles away in Denver making rides too infrequent.

Ride report is a must.

miss kenton 09-11-10 09:39 AM

This past June I had the opportunity to ride with my big brother who was visiting here from Dallas and is also a cyclist. It was really special since the last time we rode together was when he was 12 years old and had a paper route and let his eight year old sister tag-a-long on his route with him. What made it even more meaningful was that we rode the same area as we did then. Enjoy your ride as you will come to cherish the memory.

gtragitt 09-11-10 10:59 AM

I rode 102 mi on my 61st birthday; so, I was still able to ride my age. I think it will be too much to expect to ride 100 mi when I get to be that old.

I didn't have any pie after the ride. I should have stopped for a beer and a brat at the last rest stop for the Hotter N Hell 100, but I wanted the ride to be over.

Although I lost my bike on my birthday, the accomplishment helped moderate the disappointment .

skilsaw 09-11-10 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by gtragitt (Post 11446749)
Although I lost my bike on my birthday, the accomplishment helped moderate the disappointment .

sounds like a good reason to get a new bike, it being your birthday, and all.

kr32 09-11-10 03:24 PM

Well we did 72.5 miles and it was great!
We started out at 7:30am and the air was brisk(one could say cold) so I had on arm warmers he didn't. No problem though as soon as we hit the sun it was not too bad.
I have ridden this route several times and I wanted to show him the roads I ride on so I took him on a few little variations and hit some really nice back roads of Southern Md.
One thing I noticed was as soon as we hit some hills he dropped back big time and I was even taking it easy, no big deal, he is after all 65! Where he rides there are no hills so he really has a excuse. Anyway we rode at a very comfortable pace and had a great conversation as we rode. When we hit the 65 mile mark he wanted to stop and call his wife to let her know we had done 65.
When we got back he said he could have kept going as I could have too. We went and got a steak and cheese and sorry to say no pie.
Sorry for no pictures, my camera is crap and I need a new one. Maybe on my birthday I will get one. It is coming up next month too.

Stap..{ find out if he can still slaughter his younger brother on a ride.** that will NEVER happen! LOL

What I really think is so cool about the whole thing is he got me riding a couple years ago with one of his borrowed bikes.

gtragitt 09-11-10 06:35 PM

Good job on the ride. I can't fault you for not having pie because I am also guilty.