Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First metric century on the Litespeed

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I posted some pictures of my new Litespeed about a week ago and took my first long ride with it today.Best ride ever from my home in Manhattan to the Croton Resevoir and back.Glorious day!The Litespeed is amazing!Also my first ride wearing Bike shorts and Jersey which I must admit makes for a more enhanced experience.And the Tush appreciates it too.Passed 2 Deer and a red tailed Hawk passed right in front of me as he landed as I'm pedalling at full speed.This was my longest ride yet and probably my most continuous.(least rests)Average speed of about 13mph is admittedly modest but that includes slow street areas as well as some sustained bursts of22,23 mph. Just a glorious day!!
Old 09-13-10, 06:53 PM

Bikes: 2008 Trek FX 7.1, 1984 Fuji Esprit, 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like your making memories. Hope you have many more great days.
Old 09-14-10, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Ti will make many days seem glorious.
Old 09-14-10, 06:47 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Ti will make many days seem glorious.
I'm still waiting for that part.

I like my Litespeed--don't get me wrong--but it rides no better than my steel Schwinn Peloton, which in turn, rides no better than my aluminum Trek Portland.

I had expected wondrous things from the Litespeed based on comments like yours. It just ain't there.

To be fair, I can't side-by-side test Ti vs steel because, also to be fair, I stripped the components from the steel frame to build up the Ti one in order to eliminate the variable of wheels, tires, saddle and bars from the ride equation. I put 600 miles on the steel bike before using its parts to build up the Litespeed. I have 500 miles on the Litespeed now. I'll swap components back when it gets to 600 miles. Maybe I'll notice a difference then.

Back to the OP, congratulations. I'm delighted to hear you're enjoying your new ride. I have no doubt the ride is far superior to your previous mount.
Old 09-14-10, 07:27 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl

I like my Litespeed--don't get me wrong--but it rides no better than my steel Schwinn Peloton, which in turn, rides no better than my aluminum Trek Portland.

I had expected wondrous things from the Litespeed based on comments like yours. It just ain't there.

To be fair, I can't side-by-side test Ti vs steel because, also to be fair, I stripped the components from the steel frame to build up the Ti one in order to eliminate the variable of wheels, tires, saddle and bars from the ride equation. I put 600 miles on the steel bike before using its parts to build up the Litespeed. I have 500 miles on the Litespeed now. I'll swap components back when it gets to 600 miles. Maybe I'll notice a difference then.
Well, there you go. There's the problem. I've got both my steel and ti bike set up with the same wheels, tires, seats, seat post, saddle, handlebars, stem, etc. I've actually done side by side test rides over the same route. The Ti is slightly faster (larger tubes make it a bit stiffer) and more comfortable. The key word in my last sentence is "slightly".
Old 09-14-10, 07:56 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm jealous, of course. I have a desire to try every kind of bicycle. My limited budget doesn't allow it. A titanium frame is high on my bucket list. Are you going to change your name to Litespeed330?
Old 09-14-10, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I'm jealous, of course. I have a desire to try every kind of bicycle. My limited budget doesn't allow it. A titanium frame is high on my bucket list. Are you going to change your name to Litespeed330?
I'd have to change my name to Litespeedclassic!On the difference between my steel Trek and the Litespeed it's like the difference between a Caddilac and a Mercedes.I love the solidness and stability of the steel.The Litespeed is much lighter and more responsive and gives a softer ride.Smooth as can be.It also fits me better.However there is something I love about the steel.I'm also very new to the sport and certainly no connoiseur,But there is a fineness to both machines that puts my Walmart special that was stolen to shame and MAKES ME WANT TO RIDE!!
Old 09-14-10, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice. My carbon Kestrel doesn't even come close in the comfort zone of the S-9 Matta. No rear wheel chatter at all, and the 531 bike gathers dust also.
Old 09-14-10, 08:11 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
These kinds of days are why we enjoy riding so much! Sounds like a great ride. Some day I hope to investigate this titanium issue.
Old 09-15-10, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl

One of my goals is to get a ti bike, but I think you're probably right. I doubt there are major, life-changing differences between my carbon Trek and a Litespeed titanium. Same slow motor.

One more dream down the tubes.
Old 09-15-10, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl

Back to the OP, congratulations. I'm delighted to hear you're enjoying your new ride. I have no doubt the ride is far superior to your previous mount.

Ti does not make you faster, or a better rider.

It is most times a lighter, more comfortable ride. If your Peloton rides as well as a Litespeed; GREAT! You have a wonderful steel frame.

I sold my Merlin about 15 years ago and wish I never had.
I am waiting on a lynskey now and can hardly wait.

Will my custom Ti frame make me faster, NO! Dratt!
Will it ride better than my Surley. Hopefully.
It should be lighter and fit better anyway.
If it works as well as the stock Merlin. It will be the last road frame I ever buy!
My Merlin carried me 75 miles a day, EVERY day for 10 years or so, so I sing the praises of Ti.