Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pie Ride Report

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pie Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 11:47 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Suburban (35 years old, the bikes not us), 2 Trek 7000, T900 (Tandem), 2 EZ Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pie Ride Report

I know the official date is the 18th but as the greenway we wanted to ride is very busy on weekends with walkers and other slow people we did ours yesterday (Thur.). It was a beautiful day. The greenway was cut through the woods so it was almost all shaded. We did 18 miles which is the longest ride we have done since we started cycling (again) about 2 months. All went well and we both enjoyed the ride and the exercise.

The Blueberry pie was very good, nice and sweet. As we couldn’t find many places to get pie in this area and none we thought we could get to safely, the pie came from The Bakery At Walmart.

2002_0309pie0007[1 .jpg

As we are both trying to loose weight it actually looked like this.

2002_0309pie0008[1 .jpg
Old 09-17-10, 12:07 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Egads! I hope what looks like a fork in the photo is actually a pitchfork! Bonus points for being brave enough to eat pie sold at Walmart!
Old 09-17-10, 12:16 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not going to knock the ethics as you have ridden and you have had pie= but did the berry's fall off or give any problem in on the weight stakes?

But 18 miles does merit a Trip to the "Local" Bakery or cafe- preferably on the bikes- to get something a bit more substantial.

Well done on getting your longest ride in to date but I do feel there is room for improvement---------Perhaps before the next International Pie Ride aswell.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-17-10, 02:21 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Holy smokes! I have been negligent in my training for the pie ride, that is to say, I've not eaten any pie in months. When I came home today, there were a few packages of single portion pies on the counter. Of course, I chose the blueberry pie. I am eating it now. As I examined the packaging for nutritional and caloric info, my mouth was full of pie and my eyes bugged when I read, "The Bakery at Walmart!" What a coincidence, ncbikers! I will admit, it is not half bad.
Old 09-17-10, 02:56 PM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's going to rain here tomorrow, so I guess I'll do my Pie Ride on Sunday. Not a fan of riding in the rain.
Old 09-17-10, 03:03 PM

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
My pie ride will be on Sunday.

I may have to go to wally world to get pie.

But I will ride, and find some type of pie!

I can't wait till I read all the threads about good pie. I still can't understand why New Orleans has no pie.
Old 09-17-10, 03:35 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jr59
I can't wait till I read all the threads about good pie. I still can't understand why New Orleans has no pie.
It's because, considering all the great food you have, if you had great pie options, it would be way too unfair.

Were I you, I'd opt for quiche (it's pie, right?) at Croissant d'Or! And an almond croissant, naturally.
Old 09-17-10, 03:53 PM

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread and the "why don't I lose any weight" thread appear side by side right now.
Old 09-17-10, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by AzTallRider
It's because, considering all the great food you have, if you had great pie options, it would be way too unfair.

Were I you, I'd opt for quiche (it's pie, right?) at Croissant d'Or! And an almond croissant, naturally.
But of course, I'm Sure I can find something close. Bread pudding @ Comanders maybe? Nope no bike attire. DRAT!
Old 09-17-10, 05:26 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I expect I'll do my 'Pie Ride' in the morning by extending my pre-dawn commute home to include a pass by my favorite Diner!
Old 09-18-10, 05:55 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All righty then...here we go!!!!

This is yours truely leaving work at 05:30 this morning. It was a balmy 44*F!!

I was glad to be able to enjoy the sunrise over Round Pond on my way to the Diner....

Here's the pie. Apple Pie with whipped cream and hot coffee!!

Total miles rode................16.41
Total calories consumed....I dunno

O.K. Who's next?

Last edited by cranky old dude; 09-18-10 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-18-10, 06:08 AM
World's Oldest Adolescent

Bikes: Fuji touring, Schwinn Sierra MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunatly, mine will have to wait until Monday, Sept 27th. I know this is breaking protocol, but I'm working on a volcanic island and the local drivers make it nearly impossible to ride anywhere. Also, only meat pies here, not any fruit. I get back home on the 26th. I plan to ride on monday and eat two pieces of pie to make up for my stretching of the rules.

Stapfam, will this fit within the framework of the ride, or will I be disqualified and shamed forever.

I humbly await a ruling.

Ken
Old 09-18-10, 07:00 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
DISASTER!!!!!!!!!

Our "pie shop" is closed today for remodeling. There are no other suitable pie shops around. My wife and I have to figure this out.
Old 09-18-10, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sir Denver, according to some, all is not lost, apparently the rumour is that they sell a pie like thing at wally world. Prehaps, you could being the great leader you are, you could check out this rumour so the rest of us do not have to put ouselves in harms way. Then again, prehaps not! But then again a smart leader would just ask for volunteers to do the dirty deed and report back and everybody knows that you're a smart great leader. So that begs the queston who's volunteering?

Last edited by overthehillmedi; 09-18-10 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-18-10, 10:49 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I made a personal Executive Decision.

We wanted something in the middle of our ride, and there is a Panera's right there in the middle. SO, we decided on Blueberry Muffins - pretty much the same ingredients as a pie, only in different ratios. Sort of like climbing a hill - you have your choice of gear ratios. We chose the "Muffin Ratio."

So, here we are at Paneras!!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-18-10 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-18-10, 01:06 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pie Ride report, from the midwest. 40 miles, 15mph avg. Beautiful sunny day, slight headwind on the way down, nice tailwind on the way back. Stopped in the bikeshop on the way down to get a set of brake pads installed (they have enough hands to do that job, found out I don't).

P1050189 (Large)..jpg
The pie shop, My Just Deserts, in downtown Alton, Il. Highly recommended, for pie, soup and sandwiches.

P1050185 (Large)..JPG
The menu

P1050188 (Large)..JPG
Coconut Creme

P1050187 (Large)..jpg
Pumpkin Pecan

P1050186 (Large)..JPG
Ozark Berry
Old 09-18-10, 01:21 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KenSmith
Unfortunatly, mine will have to wait until Monday, Sept 27th. I know this is breaking protocol, but I'm working on a volcanic island and the local drivers make it nearly impossible to ride anywhere. Also, only meat pies here, not any fruit. I get back home on the 26th. I plan to ride on monday and eat two pieces of pie to make up for my stretching of the rules.

Stapfam, will this fit within the framework of the ride, or will I be disqualified and shamed forever.

I humbly await a ruling.

Ken
I failed today aswell so just get it in when you can and We'll say no more about it.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-18-10, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Rats. I was looking forward to doing a pie ride today, and the weather where I am is conducive, but unfortunately I'm stuck in Winnipeg without a bicycle. How that came about is a long story involving a broken down truck, 8 hrs on the side of the road,and a night in a motel.
I'll make up for it next week, or the week after that in Paris France.
More about that later.
Old 09-18-10, 02:47 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
57 miles w rain.
Pie still in the oven....smells so good.

Old 09-18-10, 03:20 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
It is with great sacrifice, (ie: we surely gained back all the calories we burned), doing our 31 mile club ride and then adding miles for PIE! Forgive us for having to surcum to a "cream pie" but all the "BERRY" items they had were "cobblers" so in keeping with it being a PIE RIDE, we chose a pure PIE! (photo) of my wife Jo, who hates computers but LOVES PIE!

A breezy day but really nice and sunny and with the "roadies" leading the ride, ya we got LOTS of HILLS

Last edited by bjjoondo; 09-18-10 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spelling errors and added text
Old 09-18-10, 03:26 PM
Aluminum Convert

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was supposed to commute today however the early weather didn't cooperate. I did however have pie. Fellow co-workers wife sent in peach pie and I had a small slice. Tomorrow however is a different story. I directed a riding friend to the different pie threads and while he won't be joining the forums(very busy at work and home right now) we will be partaking of a pie ride tomorrow. He and I are heading one direction and our better halves are heading another and we will circle around to meet them and then ride to the local diner for pie.
Old 09-18-10, 03:27 PM
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
got back from 20 mile ride. I had to go pick up the car from the shop so I didn't go to my first choice pie shop but did have a nice lunch w/ BB pie with wife and kids before continuing to pick up the car. Life is good and so was the pie yum. forgot about pix at the time
Old 09-18-10, 04:14 PM

Would www.hubigs.com count
Old 09-18-10, 04:25 PM
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my first ever pie ride today, it was awesome, 35 miles, perfect weather. I couldn't decide where to ride to, to qualify, I finally decided to ride the length of the MUP (14 miles one way) because I have never been to the other end of the trail. There wasn't anywhere at the other end to get a piece of pie, so I had to ride back to the local market and get a pre-made pie. BTW, the pie was good.. especially for a pre-made one.
Old 09-18-10, 04:31 PM

Bikes: 2006 Trek Rail 2007 Diamondback Dellacruz 1.0 2009 Trek Lime 2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7 1980s Nishiki Road Bike 1993 Cannondale R700 (Criterium) 1993 Cannondale V1000 1995 Cannondale M1000 1996 Cannondale Killer V900 1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3 1997 Ca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new pentax pix 03.jpg

It was a beautiful day for a ride -the weather has finally gotten a little less hot. I don't keep track so I never know how far I ride, but I mapped myself on Google Maps and did 15 miles.

Then I came home and had this.

mulberry pie..jpg

Homemade mulberry pie with mulberries I'd stolen off my neighbor's tree during season. Purloined pie is the best!

Last edited by wiredfoxterror; 09-18-10 at 05:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.