Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I ride alone

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I ride alone

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride alone

Not many riders in my part of the hinterland and do about 40 km a day without seeing another cycler. Any other lone wolves out there and what do you carry in your seatbag? Been going mostly minimal but then after reading the health threads started wondering.....any thoughts?
Old 09-17-10, 02:06 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
For the most part I ride alone, too. Some of the reports on here have prompted me to send for a Road ID bracelet. Well, actually I had a gift cert. won as a door prize, but I was thinking of getting one, anyway. I can't stand the thought of lying on my back injured in the woods somewhere and watching vultures hovering above. Of course, someone would have to stumble upon my crumpled form to read my Road ID, so....
I do carry a couple of extra tubes, some CO cartridges, cell phone, and of course, an extra tube of lipstick.
Old 09-17-10, 02:25 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The lipsticks handy-- Especially if you can't find a pen to leave a note of what went wrong

Just the normal wedge under the saddle with levers- puncture repair kit- Multi tool-and a tube. Then I would be carrying the phone and wallet in the jersey posckets.

But how about the extra warm jersey in case it gets cold- and the waterprrof has to be stowed somewhere- and the spare food. I don't bother as it is is going to get cold- I would be layered up and I can always unzip and if I can't carry enough food in the empty jersey pocket- there must be somewhere to buy pie.

Only thing I don't do is ride offroad alone- not many people up on the hills but on the road there will be a car along sometime.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-17-10, 02:45 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Sometime back we did a "ride alone" survey. We found that LOTS of folks ride alone!! However, I am sure that some areas are more "alone" than others, and it sounds as if you REALLY ride alone.

Cell phone, 2 tubes, frame pump, patch kit, water, boot, tire tools, wallet, multitool, and some other stuff.
Old 09-17-10, 02:47 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I ride alone

Yeah me to for the most part. I take my niece's kid riding occasionally 'cause his parents are.........well riding stoned can't be good.
Old 09-17-10, 02:54 PM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been riding alone for the past six years. Had a great group of people I rode with when I lived in California, but since moving back to Wisconsin, there are not tha many people around who ride when I do.
I take my cell phone, Road ID, pump, tube. And that's about it.
Old 09-17-10, 03:02 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Me too. I'm retired and not many people in my neighborhood ride in the middle of the day. Been mostly riding alone since 2000 (after corporate downsizing).
I carry my cell phone, RoadID (since 2004), multitool, patch kit (used mostly to help stranded weekend riders), spare tube, CO2, frame pump, money, 3 or 4 Hammer gels, and water.

I have a question. Why carry a wallet?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-17-10, 03:14 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Riding with a group is fun but I love riding alone. At least once a week I ride my 15 mi. TT as hard as I can. It's me against the clock.....me against me last week. It doesn't get any better than that for me. I usually take a spare tube, patch kit, a couple bucks and a cell phone, and maybe one GU and a bottle of water. I hardly ever use the water or GU but you never know. It's a strange thing but even at age 64 I have a need to test myself...to go faster...to do better....and, I love it.
Old 09-17-10, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mostly ride alone also. Not many riders around where I live except the hammerfest local Tuesday/Sat/Sun riders. I take the usual items ie cell, tube, patch kit water, etc. Still thinking about the statement, "of course the EXTRA tube of lipstick." Very interesting miss kenton, very interesting. Not sure what interest me more, the "of course" or the "extra". :-) Been thinking about a road ID and am sure it could be a lifesaver. Just not sure which one to get.
Old 09-17-10, 05:01 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I ride alone probably 99.99% of the time. It is rare that I ride with anyone else. I simply prefer solitude. I carry wallet with ID, and a cell phone.
Old 09-17-10, 05:05 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'm alone when I go Home too..
Old 09-17-10, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I ride alone during the week, with our group on Saturdays, and usually with a friend on Sunday afternoon. I carry the same stuff whether I'm alone or in a group... two tubes, glue-patch kit, tire boot, tire levers, multitool with chain breaker, Wipperman links, alcohol wipes, a few small bandages, tiny set of pliers, sports drink, frame pump. Also have front and rear lights as appropriate. There's probably some more junk in there that I forgot to mention. Oh yeah, dog spray on weekend rides. And food for rides > 30 miles.

Last edited by doctor j; 09-17-10 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-17-10, 05:59 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5458 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 238 Posts
There are no other riders where I live. I like to ride with others but only get the chance a few times per year.
Must haves for a ride; spare tube, patch kit, pocket knife to probe for cause of flats, allen wrenches, pump.
Spare batteries for night time rides, bug spray in summer-in case I have a flat or breakdown.
Halt dog repellant.
Water
I rarely carry a cell phone. Just seems like extra weight.
Old 09-17-10, 06:36 PM
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, don't we all ride alone??
Old 09-17-10, 06:37 PM
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deke
Not many riders in my part of the hinterland and do about 40 km a day without seeing another cycler. Any other lone wolves out there and what do you carry in your seatbag? Been going mostly minimal but then after reading the health threads started wondering.....any thoughts?
Same here. I'm in Red Neck, USA, where bikes are mostly for kids. The only groupists around are a small cadre of white-collar type, sport riders. Im not in their clique.
Commuting like I do throws people for a loop - they don't know how to react to someone who would ride by choice and I only know of one other guy who does it regularly.
So I'm self sufficient.

I use a seat wedge in which I keep a CO2 filler, spare tubes, tire tools, multitool and a few other bits and bobs. I keep stout rear tires, in good shape, and regular front tires spinning. In my backpack I have my wallet, a folding lock back knife, a few energy snacks, a riding hat and a cellphone. However, since I'm out in the toolies for most of my riding, the cellphone is usually useless.
I wear the hat when I want to take off the helmet.

My cycling life is one of solitude, serenity and the rhythmic sound of my own breathing. Im convinced this IS the right way to cycle and honestly, I wouldnt even know how to ride in a group.

Last edited by dahut; 09-17-10 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-17-10, 06:57 PM

Bikes: Rans Stratus LE, Terra Trike Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Occasionally, I'll ride a couple of miles with one of my grandkids however, I prefer riding alone. I carry a cell phone but most of my rides are in areas with sketchy service so I'm not sure how much it would help. I'm 65 but have no critical health problems that would warrant carrying a Road ID Alert. I don't worry about anything happening, I just ride.
Old 09-17-10, 07:21 PM
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aRoudy1
Occasionally, I'll ride a couple of miles with one of my grandkids however, I prefer riding alone. I carry a cell phone but most of my rides are in areas with sketchy service so I'm not sure how much it would help. I'm 65 but have no critical health problems that would warrant carrying a Road ID Alert. I don't worry about anything happening, I just ride.
And lets face it, you know that if anything life threatening happens while riding, you'll likely die doing what you love. But, because you're in better condition than most people half your age, nothing is what will most likely occur.

Thats the welcome paradox: you're better off cycling, than not.
Old 09-17-10, 07:33 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by aRoudy1
I'm 65 but have no critical health problems that would warrant carrying a Road ID Alert.
Never thought of it in relation to health problems. The RoadID is for when some a-hole either hits you or causes you to crash. When you're dead or unconscious it provides the police/EMT with a name, address, phone number so family can be contacted.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-17-10, 07:54 PM
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I ride with my son on occasion and with a friend I helped get into riding, but otherwise I ride by myself. I have no problem being a lone wolf. Have about 16000 miles doing it, so there's no problem. I wear an interactive Road ID too.

In the bike bag I carry my cell phone, tire tools, spare tube and patch kit, Co2 inflater.
Old 09-17-10, 08:18 PM
Harry helps.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride alone. After moving to where I live now, it was six months before I saw another cyclist. I do like group rides but the local group ride is a hammerfest, well beyond my ability.

I carry a cell phone, CO2 inflater with spare cartridge, small pump (for when the CO2 fails), patch kit, multi tool, tire irons, tube, ID and some money. And lots of fluids. This summer has been very hot.
Old 09-17-10, 09:11 PM

Bikes: 91 Specialized Sirrus, 96 Gary Fischer, 08 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2010 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do both, alone and in a group. I ride with my club 2-3 times per week and alone 2-3 times per week. I carry the normal stuff (including an expired DL) in my seat bag and sometimes a cell phone. Normal rides are 30-45 miles. When riding alone if I have a mechanical problem I fix it or I walk since there is no one to call for help.

Last edited by oldride; 09-17-10 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-17-10, 09:59 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I only ride when I'm by myself or with somebody.
Old 09-17-10, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I ride alone, lots of riders i could ride with however i just don't know where the heck i want to go until i check the weather and see how strong i feel. I don't mind blasting a hole into the wind (What, nobody to draft? who needs it just HTFU). I carry expired drivers license, med card, tube, patch kit, mini pump, allen wrenches, mini med kit, pen, paper, cell phone, cough drops, suckers, mustard, raisins, nuts, two insulated bottles for water and gatorade. All this i put in a small pouch that i strap to my seat and seat post so it hangs kinda like a flag, the water bottles are on the frame. During the week i don't see a lot of other riders.
Old 09-17-10, 10:40 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride alone almost always.

I used to carry a tube, pump, levers and a cell phone. The cell was in place of any other tool I should have had with me but didn't. I could just call home and the wife will come and fetch me.

Well now that she can't come fetch me anymore I carry a lot more with me. I need to be totally self sufficient on my rides now. If I have a mechanical failure I need to either fix it then and there or walk home. I have a tool roll that I've packed to handle almost every part of my bike. I still need to pick up some spare cables and I don't bother taking any crank tools along.

The roll easily fits in my knap sack when I'm commuting back and forth to work, and in my trunk bag when I'm on a recreational ride. I still need to pick up a couple of rear racks for my up-right bikes. I'm almost to the point where I'm all squared away, I think.

As far as I.D. is concerned...between my wallet and my cell phone they ought to be able to figure out who I am.
Old 09-17-10, 11:01 PM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always ride alone with rare exceptions, like last Saturday with my sister's "companion". I ride in the Oley Valley, PA, an area very popular for bicyclists, so while I'm alone, I usually see at least 3 other bikers in an hours time. Occasionally I have a whole pack of young legs past me. I stopped trying to pick up speed and ride on their tail, just not gonna happen. Again with rare exceptions, I ride alone in organized rides as well; however I've been giving up on the organized rides as the Oley Valley roads are so much better, they are free, and I can usually muster up a better after ride meal then a dry sandwich or thin crust cheese pizza. Rides over 10 miles I'll take some water. Always have a wedge bag attached with the spare tube, levers and CO2 inflater. A pump is also strapped to seat tube. Although all my flats to date, and there have been few, I was close enough to house or car and I just walked bike. Changed tube later in the comfort of the family room.

Been thinking about an ID of some kind. I currently ride with nothing. Don't know who medics would call, no body is ever home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.