Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

"No one commutes after 45"???

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

"No one commutes after 45"???

Old 09-30-04, 08:15 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Your professor sorely needs an education! I know of a 78-years-young San Diegan who, after cycling the west coast of the U.S. from Canada to Mexico, recently set off on a double-crossing (west coast / east coast / west coast) of the U.S.

Velo Retro's Chuck Schmidt, chronologically 60, biologically less than 45, works at home, but he rode every day until his recent collision, and will probably resume riding much sooner than his doctor would anticipate.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-02-04, 01:26 PM
Jean Beetham Smith 
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 57 and commute by bike year round here in the Boston area. Working 50 weeks a year, I have a potential of 4,250 miles commuting, last year I did 3,300 miles (77%) of my work travel by bike. I'm looking to do about the same this year.
Old 10-02-04, 07:05 PM
denisegoldberg

Bikes: Peter Mooney (touring), Bike Friday Pocket Rocket (road), Bike Friday Air Glide (touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 52 and I usually commute to work by bicycle 3 to 4 days a week during the summer. I say usually because I was unable to pull that off this year due to a cycling accident - but my plan is to go back to bicycle commuting in 2005.
Old 10-03-04, 06:42 AM
Courierjoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, just read your thread. I'm 45 and I'm a bike courier who commutes 11 miles to work, then deliver by bike all day just to ride home, 5 days a week 52 weeks a year and on the wkd's, my wife and I hook up a trailer and go grocery shopping about 6 miles from home round trip. Your prof. definetly needs to get out more. Anyways good luck with your studies.
Old 10-03-04, 10:36 PM
jcfergus
Jim

Bikes: Marin Lucas Valley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just turned 52 and have returned to commuting by bike. I haven't ridden for at least 10 years. It is sure great to get back on the bike. The one way trip is 10 miles of hilly terrain east of Sacramento, between Roseville and Folsom, with some suburban, some heavy traffic.

I trained for about a month to get back in shape and am routinely reducing the commute time. So far, I have commuted 9 out of the last 12 work days and intend to continue indefinitely. I am also riding on weekends. My target is to communte a minimum of 4 out of 5 days and total 100 miles per week.

I started primarily for health, weight control and physical conditioning, but am continuing for the sheer enjoyment. This has rejuventated me more than anything I have done in years.

Jim
Old 10-04-04, 08:35 PM
richm

Bikes: Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be 50 soon and I commuted 363 days in the past year. I walked in on 2 days because of heavy snow, but otherwise rode through our Michigan snow and rain. I recently broke my wrist in a bike crash, so I'm temporarily off both work and the bike!
Old 10-05-04, 04:41 AM
mrfix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
49 and going stronger than ever, 18.5 miles each way about 45 week a year
Old 10-06-04, 09:25 AM
scrantr
Along for the ride.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the store I bought my most recent bike, the owner shared with me
the observation that he sells at least as many high-end bike to the over-45
set as to the "racer boys" because the over-45s have gotten the kids out
of the house, discovered high cholesterol and hypertension, and finally
have the time to do something like commuting or distance cycling.

I'm 47, and have been commuting since mid-May 2004. I've missed maybe
3 days due to weather I thought was too extreme to ride in safely, due to
car driver's ineptness in my area. Several co-workers in their 50s also
commute by bike frequently, although I seem to be the most regular within
my little circle. Tell you prof to get off his duff and go riding. Maybe he would
see a few of us that way.
Old 10-06-04, 12:12 PM
Dusty M

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro, Schwinn Homegrown, 1989 Concorde road bike modified as a single-speed. Co-own a Bike Friday Tilite tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Rock Star,

I'm 51 and commute about 30 miles round trip up to four days a week. Various other recreational cycling activities such as tandem riding, weekend group rides, and mountain biking, but not recently.
Old 10-07-04, 01:50 AM
Lightice

Bikes: Trek 7600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You´ve got the answers more than enough but still one more: I´m 52 and commute daily by bike in Helsinki, Finland. Distance from home to work is 19 km, so I bike about 190 km a week plus ocassional weekend trips. No big deal, but keeps spirit up and waist in shape. And, I love Savannah, too. Visited there 1989 right after Hugo storm, luckily it didn´t hit Savannah (but did hit Charleston...).
Old 10-09-04, 10:57 AM
k0co_5
_ _... ..._ _

Bikes: Spec'd X-Roads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started commuting 2 - 5 days a week 2 years ago. 56 yrs old doing 6.7 miles each way. biggest obstacle to commuting is occasional need to lug laptop and extra work papers/books.
Old 10-09-04, 11:23 AM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute 16 miles one way, 5 days a week, all year round. I do use the light rail boost most days, which means I average 40-50 miles actual riding most weeks. i will be 51 soon.
Old 10-12-04, 01:28 PM
bjlaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 51 years old and commute 2 to 3 times per week. It's 20 miles each way. It's the best way to get my miles in each week.

When victory in battle is assured, time to tighten helmet strap.
Old 10-12-04, 01:35 PM
lala
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whoo, i only have 10 years to go!
Old 10-12-04, 06:00 PM
tornadobass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a professor and I commute, although it's only about 15 minutes each way, plus a big hill coming in and a bit of brick road when I'm close to my office.

I was talking to one of our recent PhD graduates today and suggested that she get back to moderate rides in the 20 - 40 mile range. She stopped me and asked how old I was. "I bet we're about the same age...I'm 46," she told me. She couldn't believe that I'll be 52 in a couple of months. And then I told her I was one of the younger riders on some of the club rides :-)

I bet she'll be back on her bike soon.

-Dan
Old 10-17-04, 06:05 AM
al-wagner
Happy old man

Bikes: Trek 4500 mountain bike, Trek 7500fx disk, and Trek 2200 Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 52 and commute to work every day rain or shine. The trip is 11 mile round trip. The only times I do not ride to work is if there is a snow storm or the temp gets below 0 deg. Oh I live in Vermont. My wife thinks that I am nuts when I ride in the cold.
Old 10-18-04, 06:43 AM
BuzzLightSpeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a 59 year old engineer that has been commuting to work for 20+ years. I ride 2+ days per week 15-17 miles each way (a little less in the months of Jan-Feb). Full commute is 23 miles but have found that driving and meeting other folks part way is the best way to go. Into the dark in these months is a nice change if the bike lighting is good and traffic in Long Island can be avoided. In this area we need more folks commutting on bikes regardless of their age.
Old 10-26-04, 09:17 PM
Lone_rider

Bikes: Norco and Devinci both are canadian made

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have been riding on and off for the last 10 years I am 47. I had to slow down this year because of knee pain but I work with 4 other guys that are older that me and the ride every day, as a matter of fact 2 of the guys retired this year and one of them bought a new bike for a retirement present for himself
Old 11-02-04, 06:28 PM
slowclimb

Bikes: road, touring, mountain/commuter, Schwinn 3 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like someone else said, I didn't start commuting to work until after I was 45. I will be 58 in a couple of weeks and, while my job as a college president means I need my car far too many days, I still commute to work when I do not need to leave campus during the day. It keeps me better prepared to keep up on the weekends with the the guys in my club who are over 62 and retired so they have more time to train for our 60 mile rides in the North Georgia mountains.
Old 11-03-04, 09:18 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 1693 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by rock star
Thank you for your input. Believe it or not I grew up in Shelton and have fond memories of Oly. Not the beer however. I feel your pain with the rain. Your bigger than me. I scuffled off to the South.
Are you referring to Shelton WA? I was born there...
Old 12-09-04, 04:39 PM
chicharron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Well, I don't have a picture of myself riding, but I do commute and I am over 45.

Old 12-10-04, 10:54 AM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be 60 (how'd THAT happen?) in three weeks, and I commute 24 miles RT, three to five days a week, most of the summer and fall. I don't ride to work in winter because the route I have to take is just too dangerous in the dark, but I still do essentially the same ride on many weekends, and often make shopping trips (nine miles to the closest supermarket) by bike year-round. I'm not an anti-car fanatic (we own five of 'em), but it's a way to keep my weight down, get some exercise, do something I enjoy and feel superior to people who need an SUV to haul home an ounce of nutmeg.
I live near Reno, if you're keeping track of weather conditions. Winter temps are usually in the high teens or 20s in the morning, rising to high 30s or 40s most days. Little rain or snow, though....
Old 12-13-04, 05:08 PM
PALux

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Specialized FSR Induro Comp, Specialized cross bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 62 years old and commute daily 10.4 miles round trip. Since starting in June of '99 I average better than 200 days each year. In the last 3 years I have only missed commuting 2 work days. One was for snow and the other I had a box that would not fit on the bike to take to work.
Phil Lux
Old 12-16-04, 09:52 AM
hoss10
"Big old guy"

Bikes: Trure North Touring, Cannondale Killer V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 50 I commute 55 km. round trip to work most days in the seasons. (I do live in Canada) Around our rural area I'm known as "the guy who rides the bike". As to your Profs. assumptions, Cycling is a sport your can do long after other sports. I was a Varsity wrestler, and my knees are so bad now that my most other activities are out, except walking (boring). I can ride my bike save some gas, get in shape and have fun, perfect.