Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Severe Weather Alert

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Severe Weather Alert

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 11:43 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Severe Weather Alert

We have those all the time in AZ, mostly because of the heat, and we ignore those. But sometimes, I guess you should pay attention. Rode home today, cyclocross style through floods, in "scattered thunderstorms" that turned out to include hail the size of marbles. Shooters, not pee-wees.

Hail hurts.

It was fun, though, in an odd sort of way. Saw one other cyclist, and we laughed at each other as we passed, trying to stay on a bike path you couldn't see.
Old 10-06-10, 04:19 AM

Bikes: Marin Larkspur / Giant Defy Alliance 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No one can ever say that cycling is not an adventure!

I've only been caught in hail a couple of times (and it sure wasn't "shooters") and was very happy to have been wearing my helmet.
Old 10-06-10, 06:12 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I was in a meeting with a group of folks that had just come in from Phoenix and they indicated that flights in and out of the Airport were cancelled or delayed due to the Tstorms. I was very surprised.

And yes, hail huts. I hope you didn't sustain any dents on your frame or your helmet!
Old 10-06-10, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of my most memorable rides was during an ice storm a couple of years ago. The bike was covered by the time I got home. That was the ride the woman at the quickie mart told me "Oh you poor thing, did you lose your license?" I'll never ever forget that one.
Old 10-06-10, 08:22 AM

Bikes: 15 Specialized Crosstrail, 83 Schwinn Traveller, Fuji Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jppe
I was in a meeting with a group of folks that had just come in from Phoenix and they indicated that flights in and out of the Airport were cancelled or delayed due to the Tstorms. I was very surprised.

And yes, hail huts. I hope you didn't sustain any dents on your frame or your helmet!
I lived in Mesa for 3 years and can testify that the desert thunderstorms put on the most amazing lightning displays you would ever hope to see.
Old 10-06-10, 09:08 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They weren't quite this big as I rode home, but earlier in the day, the hail was truly intense:

Hail 3..jpg
Old 10-06-10, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I've only been caught in hail once in my life, and that was enough. Never forget the sound of "Ping-Ping----PingPingPingPing" on my steel frame. It didn't last long, only about a minute.

Around here, the severe weather alerts usually mean snow/ice in the winter, and thunderstorms/wind in the summer. Yeah, I've been caught in a few. Ice storms are definitely the worst of the worst. Most "experienced" Boston area folks would rather it snowed three feet, than an ice storm.

Originally Posted by Terrierman
One of my most memorable rides was during an ice storm a couple of years ago. The bike was covered by the time I got home. That was the ride the woman at the quickie mart told me "Oh you poor thing, did you lose your license?" I'll never ever forget that one.
Priceless! Absolutely priceless!
Old 10-06-10, 03:42 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Coming up for our "Wet" season and you are going to get wet. Thank goodness for Goretex. But our storms used to come in summer. Beautiful weather and a cloud appears. Then it gets very dark but still just that one cloud around. Directly over us and there is blue sky allround. First crack of thunder and we start looking for shelter. We normally have about 30 seconds. 5 minutes later and it is finished- except for the Flash floods. This year I don't think we have had a storm like we used to- we just get hours of heavy rain. Bring back the good old days.

Spike Milligan