Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Have you ever given up and called someone to come get you?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Have you ever given up and called someone to come get you?

Old 10-17-10, 10:04 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have. When I haven't been riding and am out of shape, and get tired, and am facing a long ride with a headwind to get home, I call my wife. She loves to come rescue me. I usually know when it's a possibility and make sure beforehand that she'll be available, and that it won't inconvenience her.

Once when I was young a foolish I got a flat and didn't have the means to fix it. I held the wheel in my hand and stuck my thumb out. A bicyclist pulled over. He had a pickup truck. I threw my bike in the back and he took me right to my door! A road angel.
Old 10-17-10, 10:35 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't remember ever calling someone to come and get me but I certainly didn't hesitate to sag in from GOBA one day this year. After 40 miles of hills, 100+ heat index and 12 remaining miles with 7 more hills they didn't have to ask me twice if I wanted to sag to the finish. A shower and a cold beer sounded much more inviting than those last few miles

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 10-17-10, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
A few times. A couple of the more notable: I flatted about 25 miles into a 60-mile out and back, and the effin' Conti Gatorskin tire was so tight I broke both of my tire levers trying to get it off the rim. Another time, about 65 miles into a 80-miler, I hadn't been keeping up on my eating and drinking, bonked so hard I couldn't see straight, stopped at a country store, got some food and Mtn Dew, and was still pretty well incapacitated. Both times made me thankful that God made cell phones.

'Course, if either had been a "real" ride (where I'd paid an entry fee and had some stake in finishing), I'd have sucked it up and soldiered on. ;-)

SP
Bend, OR
Old 10-17-10, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hi,
I was having a really good day made it to about the 18 mile mark and thought I wonder if I could make it all the way to that NC Border, thought it was a few miles from my current postion. About an hour later made it to the turn around and started back, It was becoming alittle warmer and I needed more fluids, so I stopped at a Gas Station/ grocery store and bought 1/2 gallon of Gator Aide Chugged it down and off I went,
About 1 hour later I noticed I was starting to feel a little more fatigue than normal and my legs were becoming harder to mash on. I did make it back to my start point but didn't wish to fight the traffic all the way back to my home so I called the (wife) she gave a smile when she picked me up cause I didn't want to drive...I was alittle red faced and very tired...
It took a couple of days to recover from my first 60+ attempt.
Any sudden increase in mileage will get your attention..
Doug
Old 10-17-10, 04:27 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I've had a non-fixable problem twice.
First time was in 2000. A car driven by some 80 year old woman forced me into the curb, bending my derailleur hanger (aluminum). Tried to slowly straighten it by hand (wrong, wrong, wrong) and it snapped off. My wife was at work and wouldn't get off for about 4 more hours. Bummed a ride home (11 miles) with a good looking blond (about half my age ) who was driving a Mazda Miyata convertible. That was tough.
Second time was last summer (2009). Had 2 flats (1 front, 1 rear) within 1/2 mile. This required me to use my spare tube and patch a tube. About a mile past that point I had a blowout caused by a cut in the sidewall of the rear tire. I didn't see it when repairing the rear tire the first time. Had to call my wife. Luckily she was home and I was only about 3 miles away.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-17-10, 04:29 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Yep. I made a wrong turn on the Hennepin Canal towpath, ended up going about 20 miles in the wrong direction. I didn't really mind the detour, but it was really hot, and I just ran out of steam.
Old 10-17-10, 05:52 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Only two times that I can recall that my bike and I ended up needing a ride. The first time was when I dropped my front tire through the slots of a storm grate as a kid and an attentive and considerate gas station attendant, who knew my father, made the phone call for me.

The second time was when I was a teen on a group ride, one rider crashed hard causing the other teen riders to elect having their parents come and get them, being that I didn't wish to ride 50 miles alone at that time, I elected to be taken home as well.
Old 10-17-10, 06:21 PM

Bikes: Raleigh 12sp road, Specialized Hard Rock MTB, 1977 Schwinn Hurricane 5-speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple weekends ago I completed my first organized 1/2 century in about 3 hrs including 2 rest/fuel stops. Had a great free lobster dinner w/ free Gritty's ale, and set off for home 28 miles away, mostly up hill. Got about 10 miles out (head winds all the way), and my left knee started aching, then lateral meniscus really started throbbing. I couldn't think of anyone to call, so I completed the ride, pushing with all I had with my right leg, letting the left 'go along for the ride'.... wasn't able to ride for a couple of days, but it's been fine since. In hindsight, I wouldn't have done this again, as I may have really done some damage....next time discretion over valor!
Old 10-17-10, 06:35 PM
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Several times, actually.

Once, I started off on a 200k, and was just getting overheated and felt so bad, I called in. I was riding into a headwind and hot and had a flat and missed the first control at 60 miles or so.
Then the next 200k, it was also hot, but I was dealing with it better, until I got leg cramps so bad I couldn't ride, at about the 86 mile mark.
Then once, I started off on a New Year's Day ride. I was going to ride to the ride, but got about 20 miles from the house, was cold and getting colder, sun wasn't up yet, and it was pretty miserable, so I called in.
All three of those were on my Worksman cruiser.

Since then, I've gotten better, have a better bike, better tires, and have learned how to deal with heat a bit better.
Old 10-17-10, 07:48 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Many years ago, my brother was visiting from California. He'd been training for the Western States 100 (a 100-mile RUN) and wanted to go out on a 25-30 mile run. So I obliged and RODE alongside, using my speedo for pacing. Unfortunately, at the far point of the route, I ran over a sharp stone that ripped the sidewall of the tire. No repair possible. We walked/jogged together to the nearest establishment: a bar about 5 miles away. We were on our third beer by the time the Good Wife(tm) rescued me. The brother, of course, was mad that I ruined his run.

Nearer to the present, I went on DALMAC this year. The first three days were awesome, with warm weather and mostly-dry riding. Then the weather caved in on us. 30 mph winds with 50 mph gusts, temps in the 40s and rain. I know what I like, and that wasn't it! That was the end of my tour!
Old 10-17-10, 08:22 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
Two years ago my rear derailleur hanger broke throwing my der into the spokes. I was done for the day. Luckily, I was on a ride with our coach who followed us in a team van. He picked me up and I road with him for rest of the 70 mile ride.
Old 10-17-10, 08:27 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had my first time back in July. I was riding home from work and flatted 3 times. I only carry 2 spare tubes and I couldn't easily find the holes to patch the flats. I was 12 miles from home so I called my daughter to come and get me.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 10-17-10, 10:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fifteen miles into a ride last winter on the third flat I was out of options and had to call the SAG(wife) to be retrieved. I think this has pretty much happened to everyone if they ride a lot.

Actually thinking about this today when I discovered I had left the pump/co2 combo thing on the bench. Going to make a sign for the garage. "Do you have a pump?" to be hung somewhere I will see it before exiting.
Old 10-18-10, 05:59 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
I was 40 miles into a 70 miler, riding up hill. I rode over a wire bail handle for something - cooler, pail, that sort of thing. It flipped up into the front wheel, ferris wheeled around to the forks, broke four spokes, buckled the forks and front rim and catapulted me over the bars in much, much less time than it took to write this. I landed on my feet, running, and didn't go down, but the bike was toast. I called a buddy with a pick-up.
Old 10-18-10, 06:00 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
xizangstan, In retrospect there have been a couple of times I would've called for help, had I brought my cell phone.

Brad
Old 10-18-10, 06:44 AM
Just Ride

Bikes: Trek Domane 7 SLR // Cervelo R3T // Trek Madone 4.5 // Trek 6000D //Peugeot P6 (1986)//Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Twice this year, 1st was the end of a 60 mile ride in July with temps in the mid 90s and high humidty, I flatted about 4 miles from home and just decided to call the wife for a ride instead of baking in the sun fixing it. The 2nd was after a flat in mid September at 7:15PM and when I changed the tube, the seals blew out of the head for the CO2. Since I was 10 miles from home with not much day light left, I just made the call (stopped and got a Morph G pump on the way home).
Old 10-18-10, 10:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a crank strip out. The threads were all but gone. -- Had to walk a couple miles and ended getting a taxi to meet my gf at the beach
as she had the car, but no cell phone -- this was part of a 85 mile ride, missed by by about 20 miles

wpt
Old 10-18-10, 10:46 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I first started riding a road bike, I called my wife anytime I got a flat. Now, a flat doesn't even mess with how I feel about a ride.
Old 10-18-10, 11:05 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Once.

I didn't need a patch kit, pump or phone because I was only doing a "short test ride in the neighborhood." About ten miles from home a nice guy in a pickup rescued me from my involuntary hike. Other than that, I've been lucky in not having any breakdowns I couldn't fix well enough to limp in but would not hesitate to call for sag if needed.
Old 10-18-10, 11:28 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Ireland has Buses where the motor is under the center of the bus, so there is a Huge luggage compartment in the back..

swallows up a whole bike, as is, then panniers on top and still room for a bunch of backpacker's packs.
Old 10-18-10, 08:13 PM

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Every April my husband goes to a retreat up in Jackson NH. He goes to gain peace, I tag along to ride my bike in the beautiful White Mountains, huffing and puffing because it is just the beginning of the season.

Last April I set out with what I thought was every thing I would need in case of a flat my saddlebag, including my cell phone. Sure enough, going down a hill into a little hollow, I get a flat. Open up the bag, pullout the levers, a tube, the Co2 inflator thingy and a C02 cartridge - everything I need. Not! All individual components worked, but just not with each other! The tube had a Schrader valve, the C02 inflator thing had a Presta nozzle and the C02 cartridges were too small, they were for the other inflator thingy at home. Doh!

Plan B – pull out the cell phone & call husband – no service down in the little hollow – push bike up the other side – one little bar, but only if I stand way off the side of the road. Thank goodness my husband was not in the middle of a meditation session and had his phone on. I did not know the name of the road I was on, but I was able to tell him the rights & lefts he had to take to get to me so he was able to drive out and rescue me. Whew.
Old 10-18-10, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Earlier this year I got a torn tire on a fast downhill run...

Unfortunately there was no cell service down in the valley so I started pushing.

Got about 25 feet when a (empty) school bus stopped and offered to take me
home ! ( about 10 miles )

I will never complain about being behind a slow school bus again

Jerry
Old 10-19-10, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
No, but almost.
Evening commute home, distance of only a few miles.
The wind was so strong, blowing from my left that it was nearly impossible to ride in a straight line.
Got off the bike, moved over one block, waited a while - walked a while, wind abated, rode the rest of the way home.

But for a few minutes there I sure thought about calling for a ride.

Jeff, still fat
Old 10-19-10, 09:16 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, two years ago. Thought I was not going to last until my wife got there. Not sure I stayed conscious the entire time.
In the middle of the hot summer I had ridden 80 plus miles the previous day. At about 60 miles on the second day I was riding with cyclist that were simply faster than me. I bonked. I overheated. I lost it. Very happy to still be there when my wife arrived.
I have been more careful since then.
Old 10-20-10, 07:24 AM

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 3,771 Times in 664 Posts
My crankarm failed and I crashed breaking my collarbone. Needed a ride home after that

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.