Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   clogged artery update and new high speed (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/691250-clogged-artery-update-new-high-speed.html)

trek330 10-28-10 08:20 PM

clogged artery update and new high speed

Good news!I'm back on the bike.I posted about 3 weeks ago a clogged artery discovered during a routine stress test and subsequent 3 stents and some recuperation.Pleased to report I started riding again moderately about a week ago and today did a "real"35 miler with serious hiils and sprints and open road.I felt surprisingly strong and good and just flipped out over the peak fall foliage and my new self built wheels which i posted about.I did have a nasty spill on a dirt road section so I learned about the dangers of dirt roads.Skinned my knee and elbow but no biggee and no damage to the bike.My biggest thrill was breaking my high speed record on a long downhill.43.2 MPH!!Also the joy of doing it on my new self built Mavic wheels.They felt so smooth and stable I was amazed!Lookin forward to tomorrows Fall ride!

NOS88 10-28-10 08:26 PM

Sounds like you had a very good day. Glad to hear the recuperation went well.

tim24k 10-28-10 10:12 PM

Welcome to the club. I had two stents put in my heart med March of this year. The doctor said I could and I did get back on the bike in two weeks. That was the hardest two weeks ever, some times getting old is just no fun. I’m glad it went well for you. I’m down to only 25 grams of fat in my diet a day. Are you going to do a medically supervised cardiac rehabilitation program? If not you should look into it. It really helps a lot.

Bare Feet 10-29-10 01:17 AM

Great to hear you're doing so well! And you have the heart for 43.2 mph downhill!! WOW! Good for you!

trek330 10-29-10 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by tim24k (Post 11699082)
Welcome to the club. I had two stents put in my heart med March of this year. The doctor said I could and I did get back on the bike in two weeks. That was the hardest two weeks ever, some times getting old is just no fun. I’m glad it went well for you. I’m down to only 25 grams of fat in my diet a day. Are you going to do a medically supervised cardiac rehabilitation program? If not you should look into it. It really helps a lot.

I had a heart attack 9 yeARS ago Oct. 27 and also had a stent inserted then.I quit smoking drinking and now am going to concentrate on my diet which i neglected shamefully.In all fairness diet ,in my experience,is secondary in dropping your cholesterol,after meds,I went 3 months eating like an angel and the cholesterol dropped just a few points.Then the statins came and the readings plummetted.However I admit my eating habits are shameful.I have however dropped 20 lbs.since May since I started biking.All other health factors including cholesterol amd BP have improved markedly.The heart episode was a big surprise.