Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Racking up the year's miles

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-10, 05:52 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My riding buddy is a mile counter. He is wants to hit 3000 before the end of the year. He is closing in with just a few hundred more needed. Me - I don't track it. We headed out for what was supposed to be a 30 to 35 mile ride. I have been following a diet, making good success but the daily calorie short fall causes my energy to fade earlier than I would normally see. Todays weather was in the low 40s so with that information I headed out with my biddy for what I thought would be a cruise for about 2 hours and indeed it started out that way. Then we were overtaken by a pack of fast riders who we decided to join and off we went into the hills. We hit the first big climb and I was able to top it OK - dragging less weight up the hill helped a lot but I knew that at the top I had spent my available energy and I was carrying no fuel (remember it was going to be a 30 mile cruise). At this point we were so far out that even if we turned back at the first opportunity we were in for close to 50 miles. The pack was headed north and luckily my riding buddy decided he couldn't spend the time out so we turn for home. I ended the ride with 48 miles and feeling very weak. My afternoon was spent with a wrecking bar ripping out kitchen counters and wall board. I am totally waisted yet tomorrow we are scheduled for another 30 miles. I will need to demand we keep it to 30.

A month ago all this would have not been a problem at all but while I am fighting down my weight and riding less it is a real struggle.

My ridding buddy will easily make his goal - particularly since we are still riding two mornings a week.

I hate trying to loose weight when I am training for strength and speed, I figured I'd spend the next 6 months getting my weight down to the good climbing range (2.5 lbs/in). Am I expecting too much?
Old 11-02-10, 02:27 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow! Over ride your initial plan by 18 miles so you take out your frustration on the Kitchen? It's a good thing you didn't hang with the group longer, your family would be homeless!!

I can't offer any serious input about simultaneous weight loss and physical performance as I know little to nothing of such things. I wonder if the personal trainer you worked with could be of any help?
Old 11-02-10, 02:38 PM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
I have a couple of mini Clif Bars (100 calories each) in my seat bag, for "emergency" use on rides.
Old 11-02-10, 05:09 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
I can't offer any serious input about simultaneous weight loss and physical performance as I know little to nothing of such things. I wonder if the personal trainer you worked with could be of any help?
She might be - I just can't do a long fast ride without haveing better nutruition before I start out, if I knew what we were going to do I would have better prepared. My riding buddy was tired for two days, I at least had a strong recovery snack when I got home and was OK by the next day when we did 30 miles.
Old 11-02-10, 05:16 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
You can alway bring a banana or peanut butter and jam folded over on 1 slice of bread, carried in a sandwich bag.

Old 11-02-10, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Also for quick energy I use an energy gel. For long rides I'll fill a squeeze bottle, though in your situation, planning for a 30 mile ride I wouldn't have had it with me. One thing I carry on all rides is a sports drink, 2 bottles worth, as I sweat a lot and need the electrolytes, and the sugars help with a little energy boost as well.
Old 11-02-10, 07:51 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

"I hate trying to loose weight when I am training for strength and speed, I figured I'd spend the next 6 months getting my weight down to the good climbing range (2.5 lbs/in). Am I expecting too much?"

No, as stated dengdawg, by put a GU flask or a couple GU packs in you pocket and ride on. You can always work on extending your Z3 riding over the winter. Failure is what makes one's body stronger.
Old 11-03-10, 05:18 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet

"I hate trying to loose weight when I am training for strength and speed, I figured I'd spend the next 6 months getting my weight down to the good climbing range (2.5 lbs/in). Am I expecting too much?"

No, as stated dengdawg, by put a GU flask or a couple GU packs in you pocket and ride on. You can always work on extending your Z3 riding over the winter. Failure is what makes one's body stronger.
Usually do carry a flask of Hammer gel & one or two Kashi bars, this "little" ride was too short to worry about it when it started - but alas, a change in plans. As far as stashing a bar in the saddle bag - would not have done any good here - this was a non-stop ride, no breaks, no regrouping.

Actually I checked my math - my current weight is slightly less than 2.5lbs/in where as my goal is 2.2lbs/in. The climbers weight of 2lbs/in is not sustainable for me and I would look like a cancer patient with a tan.

I am training for the Whiteface race in 2011, I want to shave 15 minutes (15%) off my time from this year. Slowly taking off 1lb/week for the next 4 months while spinning and weight training and then hit the road training hard in March. With the help of my PT I should be able to maintain lean muscle and improve my % body fat. I should be ready by late June when the race is held.

As you know AJ - climbing is addictive, once you start to get good at it you really want to get better and tonnage is your enemy.