Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Posting images

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Posting images

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-10, 12:04 PM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Posting images

I need a refresher on sharing images.

Desires:
1- post a link/image in BF
2- remove the image after xx time
3- prefer not to give up ownership of any images

Suggestions on how to do this?

thanks

Yeah, I should know, but jealous of those cycling photos recently posted of along my ride today...
Old 11-02-10, 12:16 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am going to skip 1, and 2, and go right to 3.

This is a fact, you post a picture, it is out there in the wind, and will stay out there...

On #1 and 2, if you get yourself a "hosting service", you can do 1 and 2 very easily..

Again, 3 is a no-no. Any picture that is posted on the internet is fair game...

Example of a hosting service, there are some free ones, but this one is not free.

www.bluehost.com

Luck to you,
Old 11-02-10, 12:23 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Use an onlne photo host site. Photobucket eg. Us the direct link given by the site to paste in the box that opens up once you push the insert image icon at the top of the reply/post box.

All the icon does is place "[IMG]" at the front of the link and "[/IMG]" at the end of the link

so that it looks like this:

[IMG]xxxxxxxdirect link you pasted herexxxxxxxx[/IMG]

when you want to to delete it from the thread, edit and remove. Or delete it from the online album, it will kill all links to the forums.

Flikcr works differently now, I find it a bit of a hassle.

Sometimes I just skip the icon, post the link then type in the "[IMG] stuff.

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 11-02-10 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-02-10, 12:38 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
I am going to skip 1, and 2, and go right to 3.

This is a fact, you post a picture, it is out there in the wind, and will stay out there...

On #1 and 2, if you get yourself a "hosting service", you can do 1 and 2 very easily..

Again, 3 is a no-no. Any picture that is posted on the internet is fair game...
Posting it on the net does not negate your ownership of an image. It may SEEM that way sometimes, but every image is copyrighted from the moment it is captured. What many photog's do is to only post low-resolution images, and 'watermark' them with a copyright notice. Your rights will still be abused, but it gives you a bit more recourse. Some folks also notify the owners of websites that have coopted one of their images. It's a lot of work to protect your intellectual property in a networked world, and probably only worth it if that is how you make your living.
Old 11-02-10, 02:17 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
#1) Tom Stormcrowe (our leader) has instructions in this link.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ictures-How-to!

#2) Simply delete the online photo.

#3) If its on the internet, its public.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-02-10, 02:35 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RonH
#3) If its on the internet, its public.
Where are you guys coming up with this? Is is absolutely, 100%, false. Every nation in the WTO is subject to the Berne convention. This is from the Wikipedia article on the Berne Convention):

Copyright under the Berne Convention must be automatic; it is prohibited to require formal registration (note however that when the United States joined the Convention in 1988, they continued to make statutory damages and attorney's fees only available for registered works).

The Berne Convention states that all works except photographic and cinematographic shall be copyrighted for at least 50 years after the author's death, but parties are free to provide longer terms, as the European Union did with the 1993 Directive on harmonising the term of copyright protection. For photography, the Berne Convention sets a minimum term of 25 years from the year the photograph was created, and for cinematography the minimum is 50 years after first showing, or 50 years after creation if it hasn't been shown within 50 years after the creation. Countries under the older revisions of the treaty may choose to provide their own protection terms, and certain types of works (such as phonorecords and motion pictures) may be provided shorter terms.

There are fair use restrictions on copyright protection, however, taking someone's image from a website for your own use does not fall under that restriction. It is theft, plain and simple. Making something publicly available does not make it in the public domain from an ownership standpoint.

Gadzooks!
Old 11-02-10, 03:10 PM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, I was looking at bluemelon, but work interferred. Flickr seems restrictive. photobucket may work but need to reread their policies.

Just trying to make images of new ride available for a limited amount of time
Old 11-02-10, 03:33 PM

Bikes: '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
There are fair use restrictions on copyright protection, however, taking someone's image from a website for your own use does not fall under that restriction. It is theft, plain and simple. Making something publicly available does not make it in the public domain from an ownership standpoint.

Gadzooks!
I don't think anyone is saying that once you post an image on the 'net, you forfeit your rights to it. You will likely, however, lose control of it, whether you want to or not. People WILL repost it wherever they choose. If that irks you, then you'll have a full-time job (or a lawyer on retainer) working to prevent it.

I agree, it ain't right, but that doesn't prevent it from occurring.
Old 11-02-10, 03:34 PM

Bikes: '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
Thanks, I was looking at bluemelon, but work interferred. Flickr seems restrictive. photobucket may work but need to reread their policies.

Personally, I prefer photobucket. Once you do it a couple of times, it becomes second nature...
Old 11-02-10, 05:36 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chasmm
Personally, I prefer photobucket. Once you do it a couple of times, it becomes second nature...
What I like about photobucket. A little slow but in the overall picture, it's easier than the others IMO. If anyone knows a site that works similar, let me know.

I title my my pics according to date. I post several in ride reports so my system is (today for example) 110210A...if more than one, I use the letter system (110210B,110210C and so on).

I place them in photobucket wher they retain there title as the link. SO to post several pictures, I copy and paste the direct link several times:

All using the first picture as A
[IMG]xxxxxxxxxxA[/IMG]
[IMG]xxxxxxxxxxA[/IMG]
[IMG]xxxxxxxxxxA[/IMG]
[IMG]xxxxxxxxxxA[/IMG]
[IMG]xxxxxxxxxxA[/IMG]
[IMG]xxxxxxxxxxA[/IMG]

Then I go back in my post and change all the letters in the title accordingly...A thru F

[IMG]xxxxxxxxxxA[/IMG]
[IMG]xxxxxxxxxxB[/IMG]
[IMG]xxxxxxxxxxC[/IMG]
[IMG]xxxxxxxxxxD[/IMG]
[IMG]xxxxxxxxxxE[/IMG]
[IMG]xxxxxxxxxxF[/IMG]

Boom, all my pics are posted without having to go back and forth to the photoalbum having to copy and paste each link!

With flickr or imageshack, I have to get each distinctive link for each picture whereas photobucket's direct link keeps them in consistent order.

Anybody know if other sites that do the same?
Old 11-02-10, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
I use Tinypic. https://tinypic.com/ It's dead simple and no account needed.
Old 11-02-10, 06:56 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver

You'll be frustrating some folks who get to the thread after your limited amount of time and are unable to see pictures.
Old 11-03-10, 10:25 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Personally, I can't hardly get anyone to look at my pictures, much less steal them. Heck, if they want them, I'll email 'em the full-size file if they want.

Anyway, if you don't want people copying or printing your pictures, just don't post them.
I can't think of a reason to post them for a limited time. Once I post pictures, I try to leave the file on photobucket indefinitely, so two-or three-year old threads still pull up the right pictures.

If you resize your pictures to 500 or so pixels wide, the files will be small enough that you store a ton of them on photobucket for free, and it limits the usefulness of them somewhat if someone copies the files.
Old 11-04-10, 10:58 AM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think anyone is saying that once you post an image on the 'net, you forfeit your rights to it. You will likely, however, lose control of it, whether you want to or not. People WILL repost it wherever they choose. If that irks you, then you'll have a full-time job (or a lawyer on retainer) working to prevent it.

I acknowledge that you lose some control. But the OP specifically referred to 'ownership', and posting a photo on the web does not change its ownership. Some of the posts implied that it does.
Old 11-04-10, 11:07 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Photobucket compresses images so much they look pretty bad to me. I'm a fan of www.flickr.com.
Their new system makes it really easy to dump images in here. They provide copy/paste code that even includes a link back to the flickr page.

And just because we have an image thread with no images so far, here's one from Halloween. My bride enjoys her socks!

MyLilPony and her socks by ccorlew, on Flickr
Old 11-04-10, 11:12 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, even posting on the internet, the photos are still yours. However, people will steal the images if they feel the desire and use them any way that appeals to them.

If you want to make it hard for them to exploit your photos, just restrict the resolution of the photos you post so that they are only suitable for viewing on the board.
Old 11-04-10, 01:14 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Posting it on the net does not negate your ownership of an image. It may SEEM that way sometimes, but every image is copyrighted from the moment it is captured. What many photog's do is to only post low-resolution images, and 'watermark' them with a copyright notice. Your rights will still be abused, but it gives you a bit more recourse. Some folks also notify the owners of websites that have coopted one of their images. It's a lot of work to protect your intellectual property in a networked world, and probably only worth it if that is how you make your living.
Good point and very well understood. I was just stating that anything that come out on the internet, can and will be copied!! At the races, all photograpers watermark and post very small low res images. Only after you buy them, you can get the full blow pics.. However, peeps like you and I, if I can say that, when we post our pictures, they can and will be copied, even photochop too..

Like you say, if you make your living at it, you must do it.

Again, good point...
Old 11-04-10, 01:25 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
Personally, I can't hardly get anyone to look at my pictures, much less steal them. Heck, if they want them, I'll email 'em the full-size file if they want.
That was absolutely a brilliant reply!
Originally Posted by StephenH
Anyway, if you don't want people copying or printing your pictures, just don't post them.
This one was even better than the first... Two responses that are dam right FRANK, and full of PURE COMMON SENSE!! Sheesh, you should run for President!!
Old 11-04-10, 01:29 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Photobucket compresses images so much they look pretty bad to me. I'm a fan of www.flickr.com.
Their new system makes it really easy to dump images in here. They provide copy/paste code that even includes a link back to the flickr page.

And just because we have an image thread with no images so far, here's one from Halloween. My bride enjoys her socks!

MyLilPony and her socks by ccorlew, on Flickr
Congrats on the union, great photo, and you are a lucky fellow too...

Life is indeed sweet..
Old 11-04-10, 01:42 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
It might be worth looking into the fine print of the terms of use agreement with whatever hosting site you choose. Some may assume the right to use your photos for the site's purposes.
Old 11-04-10, 05:24 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
It might be worth looking into the fine print of the terms of use agreement with whatever hosting site you choose. Some may assume the right to use your photos for the site's purposes.
In addition to that point, even professional photographers at car/bike races, horse/dog shows, etc.. Will sell you YOUR pictures, but still they maintain, even after they sold the pictures and the copyright to you, they CAN STILL USE THEM.. ???
Old 11-04-10, 07:45 PM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wasn't there a case in California a few years back where someone broke into a celebrity house, stole an X-rated private video and started selling copies of it? As I recall, the courts said the thief had the right to sell and profit from the stolen video. Amazing what few rights we actually have, once the judges get done with us.
Old 11-06-10, 07:55 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a photographer and use both flickr and photobucket. Since the change to flickr, photobucket is easier and I use it almost exclusively for hosting. I post relatively low resolution images with watermarks to photobucket. When I want to post a picture from Photobucket, I just copy the "image code" which is displayed below the picture and paste the code into the reply box. Sample below. I made this image last week while playing with photoshop and using couple of my images. Different bulletin board types have different methods but this seems to work for most.

I damn sure do own the picture. This is a very low resolution with microscopic watermarking in addition to the visible one. Plus I have the 35 meg original .psd and the RAW images that went into the making.

Old 11-07-10, 08:02 AM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts

+1 I have found my Flickr bike pictures on other peoples Craigs List ads....