Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Afraid of losing my father. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/693595-afraid-losing-my-father.html)

Darth_Firebolt 11-07-10 09:49 PM

Afraid of losing my father.

I'm not over 50, i just thought this would be the most mature subforum to post this in. I saw the thread about Digital Gee losing his father, and I didn't want to derail that topic.

I'm about to turn 21 and losing my dad is the monster that keeps me up at night. Both of my grandfathers died last February, and all I could think about was how I was going to have to bury my dad one of these days. I had to miss school for 2 days when my dog died during my senior year of high school. I had that dog since I was 2, and I had to miss school. Just the thought of losing my dad sends me into fits of uncontrollable crying. How do you deal with this? My dad did and has done so much for me, and I have no idea what i'm going to do when he isn't here. I don't think any of my friends have even considered this, so I am afraid to talk to them about it. Is this a normal fear for a 20 year old? My dad is 56 and smoked for about 35 years, is overweight but not obese, eats a lot of things that are not good for him, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Mods; please do not move to Foo. Just delete it if you must.

miss kenton 11-07-10 09:58 PM

Personally, I think it is normal to have fears about losing those you love. I can work myself into the same type of lather if I allow myself to think about losing one of my children. I think it is one of those things you just have to kind of push out of your mind and instead, enjoy and appreciate them while they are here.

CbadRider 11-07-10 10:00 PM

I think it is pretty normal to wonder about what it will be like losing family members or friends. There's really nothing you can do to prevent it, though.

Are you close to your dad? You might talk to him about how he felt losing his own father. Maybe share some of your fears with him.

leob1 11-07-10 10:01 PM

This is going to sound like I'm blowing you off, but I'm not. You need to talk to someone about this, a school councilor, clergy, family doctor, somebody will listen and help you get through this. Then you need to realize that death and loss are a part of life, you can't change that. Every body goes through it, I am dealing with a death in the family right now, it sucks, but there is nothing you can do about it, except keep on living.
I know it's not much, but please seek help.

xizangstan 11-07-10 10:06 PM

To me, a reality is, I may be the next to check out myself. Not that I have any reason to believe that to be the case. In fact at the age of 63, I'm doing everything I can to further my career at least another 15 to 20 years. But I also realize we're all just passing through. None of us is getting out of here alive, and we are all another day older each passing day. So, while I'm peddling my wonderful escape machine (my bike), trying my best to be as healthy as possible, to live as healthy as possible for as long as possible - things happen.

Instead of worrying about what if might be like if a loved one died suddenly, maybe we can best serve them by staying alive and healthy as long as possible, ourselves.

Peddle on... :)

10 Wheels 11-07-10 10:10 PM

I am 68 y/o.
Lost my Dad when I was 15 y/o, to a sudden heart attack.

You just have to Cry your way through the pain of the loss.
You will come out ok on the other side.

cranky old dude 11-07-10 10:17 PM

Darth_Firebolt, I have a wife and a daughter who both suffer from serious auto-immune diseases and I have often been ovewhelmed by similiar feelings and fear. I have a sense of what you may be feeling. You see, you are not alone and your fears aren't necessarily age related.

That being said, I think you need to discuss your fears with a profesional. If you don't, there's a real chance that you may end up losing out on spending joyous times with your Dad due to being too depressed to enjoy those special times because of being so consumed by your fear of losing him.

It's not easy, but you can be learn to control the fear and enjoy and embrace the present.

Oh, have you shared your feelings with your Dad yet? He may be a great help to you.

Dan Burkhart 11-07-10 10:35 PM

The reality is that most of us will live long enough to see our parents die. The only question is when. My parents are 85 and 78, so I know I don't have too much time to share with them.
However, rather than dwelling on the inevitable, I cherish every moment spent with them and be thankful. There will be lots of time to mourn after they pass. You may have many years of your dad's company to look forward to. Don't waste them.

DnvrFox 11-08-10 06:12 AM

I agree that you need to share your thoughts with someone who is a professional who knows how to help you with your fears and your anxiety.

I almost lost both of my sons at different times. I was in the ICU when the heart monitor flat-lined, and I watched as they scurried to get my oldest son's heart going again. I was told my other son would not survive after 24 hours of seizures, and his "eye grounds" were in grave condition. I still worry daily about my sons, as the oldest one is paralyzed from the shoulders down, and the other continues to have seizures. However, they are both living fulfilled and happy lives.

It is difficult to get through and live with things such as this. Sometimes talking with others qualified to help you has a most profound effect in making it through your own life. My wife, in particular, sees someone periodically for assistance.

I am 71. My dad died at 60 from brain cancer, but my mom lived to 96. You do get through it.

Also, please talk with your dad, share your fears and health concerns. His life would be greatly improved with good nutrition and exercise.

Print out and show him this thread. He will be greatly moved.

Good luck!

Neil_B 11-08-10 06:16 AM

The loss of a parent is a natural concern, but it sounds like you are obsessed with it. Why borrow trouble? There will be a day when you will lose your father. But it's not now. And when the time comes you will be strong enough to get through it. Yes, you will mourn, but your life will go on.

I lost my father 11 years ago. We had been estranged for a decade, and reconciled a month before he died. In the years that have passed I've come to realize just how much of me was shaped by my father. No, I'm not him. I'm different in many ways, but occasionally when I do something, or look in the mirror at times, I think of him, and think of him kindly. You will find yourself thinking of your dad after he's gone. But he's never fully gone; he's always part of you.

I hope what I wrote helps you. PM me if you want to talk privately.

The Weak Link 11-08-10 06:21 AM

Wow.

I ponder about my own children and grandchildren.

I reflect on "Great is thy faithfulness, morning by morning new mercies I see".

Metric Man 11-08-10 06:25 AM

Having some kind of "Faith" is a great help when it comes to issues of passing and the after life.

Hask12 11-08-10 06:36 AM

Losing a parent is awful. I mean they are the two people that have been in your life since the day you were born. Two people who you may have not always agreed with but as you got older realized that all their decisions, all there suggestions, everything they did was based on love. And if you had a normal relationship their love required nothing in return from you.
Then suddenly they are gone. The pain will be awful, but you will go on. Time does help no matter what anyone may say. Plus they will always be in your memories. Just try to remember that your parents would not want you to be sad. They didn't raise you for that. They understand the pain you are feeling but would want you to move on with your life. Hold on to the memories and enjoy the times you still have with your parents.

jppe 11-08-10 07:23 AM

Good to see you cycling at your age. Stay with it as long as you have that burning desire--and then come back to cycling when the time is right if you ever leave it. Many of us have followed that route.

The main thing about losing a loved one is being able to say "no regrets". Tell him you love him-again and again. Give him hugs. Talk to him, talk to him and talk to him. He loves you more than he can probably ever tell you but he's proud to call you "his".

Wanderer 11-08-10 07:31 AM

Death is part of life. Both of my parents have been gone for awhile now.

However, you cannot spend time worrying about death, as it interfears with living........

It will come to all of us, soon enough, without spending any time worrying about it.....

Enjoy the life you have, and live it to the fullest.

The only death thought I have, is hoping my grandchildren will remember me kindly, and fondly.

big john 11-08-10 07:47 AM

I did not have the best relationship with my father but when he died in 1994 I was filled with regret and guilt. There are so many things I wish we could have done and said, but it's too late.
I would echo what some others have said, say what you want to say to him and spend time with him when you can. Not much more you can do.

xizangstan 11-08-10 07:59 AM

Take him riding with you :)

Artkansas 11-08-10 09:03 AM

Well, its going to happen one day. But don't worry, it's a bridge that you cross when you come to it.

The only thing you can do is enjoy him while he's alive. He could have a lot of good years still left in him. So I think you are over-thinking this one. As one person has suggested, some counseling may help you get a better perspective. As another one has suggested, go riding with your Dad. Both are great ideas.

Velo Dog 11-08-10 10:07 AM

FWIW, I had similar thoughts when I was about your age, when I started to become aware of mortality and realized an exception wouldn't be made for me. It's a normal worry (which doesn't help the way you feel right now, but at least you're not crazy). The worries turned out to be unfounded--my dad lived another 35 years, until he was 83 (and I was 58). By that time my perspective had changed, I had matured and I was able to deal with it.
Counseling may be helpful, but it's not easy for a young person to pay for, most family docs don't have the time (or expertise) to provide it and i'm not sure it's necessary. Unless the worries become disabling, you're probably just experiencing something all of us go through.
As another post said, death IS a part of life. We're all headed there. To fend it off as long as possible, you might encourage your dad to adopt better habits and a better diet, and get regular checkups. In the end, though, even that's out of your hands. He already knows what he should be doing.

NOS88 11-08-10 10:45 AM

Its a good first step to reach out to folks, even if it is on a cycling forum. And and even better second step is to talk with someone trained in dealing with fear, anxiety, etc. My experience is that life is easier when you get the right people to help with the struggles that present themselves. You've got some pretty good awareness of what's going on with you. Take that to a professional and start work on dealing with this fear/anxiety.

lhbernhardt 11-08-10 11:36 AM

You're not alone. Take comfort from the words of Dylan Thomas:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

L.

rnorris 11-08-10 12:45 PM

I agree with all the previous advice about having someone to talk to over this; and will add my sympathies- I've been there, the thought of losing my parents was so painful I couldn't bear to think about it. You're very fortunate to have such a good relationship with your father, many people never had that.

Losing parents brings a time of terrible sorrow, but comes with a bittersweet gift in which most people discover reservoirs of strength within themselves that allow them to deal with things that they never thought they could face. And as was said earlier, your parents will always be part of who you are- savor the good, try to forgive the bad- and that can never be taken away from you.

Pamestique 11-08-10 01:35 PM

4 years ago, my brotherinlaw died suddenly in his sleep leaving a wife and 3 teenage children. I think everyday about those kids losing their dad so suddenly. It has not been easy for them particular since Dad was a really good man and very much a part of their lives.

That said... it is strange for someone as young as you to be so worried and to actually be so emotional about this. I strongly suggest you get counseling. If nothing else to help overcome your fear. What is it that you fear will happen to you if he dies? The best thing you can do for your father and for yourself is to make sure you can be responsible for yourself and that you can handle life headon. Every father wants to know he's raise a "man"... your fears keep you a small boy. Is that what you want? Also if something were to happen to your father, would you be able to cope? It doesn't sound like it. Find a good counselor. You still need to deal with the death of your grandfathers and you need to deal with your dependancy on Dad. Until you get pass this fear, you won't be able to "grow" up...

If you can't afford a counselor there are many free clinics out there that provide services and if you are in school, check with their health services offices.

Dan Burkhart 11-08-10 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pamestique (Post 11754482)
If you can't afford a counselor there are many free clinics out there that provide services and if you are in school, check with their health services offices.

Or, if you are affiliated with a church,(or even if you're not) it's what pastors do.

Bob/FLA 11-08-10 03:28 PM

I too advise to contact a counselor to help you deal with your previous losses. I am doing that right now after my losses this year.

Spend time with your dad NOW. Clean his gutters, mow the lawn, etc.

I am riding across Florida on Sunday...In Honor of my sister Sheila and mother-in-law Rose. Ride with me if you want. I have a thread on this forum and the Southeast forum. Post your miles and let go of the demons.

Best to all
Bob