Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

2010/11 - first indoor ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-10, 06:13 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh well, I knew it was going to happen. This morning I had to do my 6AM ride at the gym instead of on the road. Yesterday we had an unexpected snow and the roads were still a little slushy in spots, not worth the risk so I went to the gym instead. They installed a new machine, one with a video display. You follow a pace rider around a course, you have to steer and of course the effort goes up as the grade increases. The machine tracks watts and hear rate. I found it rather fun and I was dripping with sweat when I was done.

I hope to mostly stay on the road for another few weeks but by mid December I am sure I will get to know every course that machine has to offer. Between that, spin and the core strength weight training I really hope not to loose too much over the winter. Skiing is also just around the corner. Should be a busy winter.
Old 11-09-10, 06:25 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do you get to choose your Pace Rider? I can think of a few I would gladly chase to the 'very ends of the Earth'!

Other than that, I don't like indoor riding. Good for you for sticking with it!!
Old 11-09-10, 07:13 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I feel your Pain.
Old 11-09-10, 07:21 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
snowing right now in South Denver metro.
Old 11-09-10, 07:49 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Supposed to hit 70F in the land of the Hoosiers tomorrow. It would be irresponsible of me not to bike to work.
Our weather will be going South soon enough.
Old 11-09-10, 08:19 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Raining here today, so I went to spin at the gym for the first time this season. It was OK, a few ride friends were there too, so it was fun.
Old 11-10-10, 08:56 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have been on the rollers about 20 minutes each day just because I'm not allowed to ride because I'm in a neck brace. But I've been keeping the rollers outside, in the carport, and riding outside, so it's about 20 minutes before I start sweating in the 6 to 10 Celsius temperatures we've had in the Vancouver area lately. It's nice watching the rain fall while rolling away, bone dry and in shorts.

I should be back on the bike in December, but it could be snowing by then. First day of snow is usually easy to ride in; it's the subsequent days that might get tricky, especially if the snow thaws and refreezes. I am looking forward to riding in Las Vegas after Christmas!

L.
Old 11-10-10, 10:09 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I did a rare spin class on Sunday due to rain and jet lag. The spin instructress was a 20 something. Our bikes have power, cadence and read HR is you wear a strap. The power readings seemed reasonable for the level of effort. She started us spinning at 80 rpm. I paid not attention to that and did 100 to 110. She had us do a lot of standing which was okay but I thought it was overdone. She finally took the class up to 100 and then up to 130 rpm. At 130 rpm, she was spinning 100. WTF?

IMO, if someone wants to be an instructress then you have to be able to execute, lead and motivate. My other pet peeve for instructors are if they are overweight. If I go to a class or I am being trained, I want a role model and want to be motivated. Having a fat instructor is BS. Some of them need a major HTFU no matter how smart, credentialed or skilled they are.
Old 11-10-10, 06:02 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
I did a rare spin class on Sunday due to rain and jet lag. The spin instructress was a 20 something. Our bikes have power, cadence and read HR is you wear a strap. The power readings seemed reasonable for the level of effort. She started us spinning at 80 rpm. I paid not attention to that and did 100 to 110. She had us do a lot of standing which was okay but I thought it was overdone. She finally took the class up to 100 and then up to 130 rpm. At 130 rpm, she was spinning 100. WTF?

IMO, if someone wants to be an instructress then you have to be able to execute, lead and motivate. My other pet peeve for instructors are if they are overweight. If I go to a class or I am being trained, I want a role model and want to be motivated. Having a fat instructor is BS. Some of them need a major HTFU no matter how smart, credentialed or skilled they are.
I have not started spin yet - the three instructors we have at the health club at work. They are all thin and pretty good. One - in particular really tries to make it seem as realistic as possible working with mental images. The bikes are simple fly wheel bikes with no instruments and you need an HRM. The new stationary bike they purchased has power, cadence, HRM and keeps track of stats. Unfortunately it has a poor seat and strap in pedals. I also find it odd to stand up and pedal on it.

I would tend to think that at your level, it would be hard to find a spin instructor that would really provide you with a valuable workout.
Old 11-10-10, 06:12 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
She had us do a lot of standing which was okay but I thought it was overdone.
My pet peeve. In my experience, spin instructors generally have a fetish about "standing up." I can't quite figure it out, as I believe most of us stand up relatively little while bicycling. However, standing does invoke a whole other set of muscles.
Old 11-10-10, 09:03 PM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by cyclinfool
I have not started spin yet - the three instructors we have at the health club at work. They are all thin and pretty good. One - in particular really tries to make it seem as realistic as possible working with mental images. The bikes are simple fly wheel bikes with no instruments and you need an HRM. The new stationary bike they purchased has power, cadence, HRM and keeps track of stats. Unfortunately it has a poor seat and strap in pedals. I also find it odd to stand up and pedal on it.

I would tend to think that at your level, it would be hard to find a spin instructor that would really provide you with a valuable workout.
I am not nor should i be the target audience for a spin class routine. I can do my own thing in class. This is the off season so anything other than hard efforts is okay. This is the best time of year to take it easy, rest, recover and build strength.
Old 11-12-10, 11:38 AM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Snow predicted here for tomorrow. I have the Fuji on the trainer (actually it is always on the trainer) pointed at the TV with 10 bike races Tivoed from Versus over the summer. I'll probably take a bit of a ride in the snow on the 29'er but plan on doing a good long one inside to kick off the season.
Old 11-12-10, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I asked my instructor about the standing. Her reply made a lot of sense. First, a rider uses muscles differently standing vs sitting. Plus, learning a smooth transition between sitting and standing also works the muscles and coordination. I've noticed doing Jumps has improved my cycling transitions.

Remember, spin is not cycling in the sense we use the term. Most people in spin are there for fitness and may never ride a bicycle kind of machine any other time. That is why it is very good to have a converstation with the instructor and to make it "your ride".

As far as weight goes, the reality is that most of us are not skinny little things. In fact I was attracted to spin because the instructor was a "real woman" and had the experience, education and skill to do something for me. One of the other instructors was petite and just what one would envision as an aerobics instructor. I hated her classes and eventually would not go if she was on the schedule. She, just didn't understand full sized people.

But, all said, if the instructor can not demonstrate and perform all the exercises right along with the class then that person needs to find another line of work.

By the way, what is the male/female ratio in your classes? In mine overwhelmingly the participants are female. There are times I'm the only male in the class.
Old 11-12-10, 03:37 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
This is the best time of year to take it easy, rest, recover and build strength.
So... if I want to wail on my buddies next spring when the snow melts, what should be my strategy over the winter? I can put a bike on the trainer, but will mindless spinning help? Weights? I've never done any 'formal' training before, don't have anything to recover FROM, and don't plan on any official racing next year - I just want to be faster.
Old 11-12-10, 03:54 PM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Latitude65
I asked my instructor about the standing. Her reply made a lot of sense. First, a rider uses muscles differently standing vs sitting. Plus, learning a smooth transition between sitting and standing also works the muscles and coordination. I've noticed doing Jumps has improved my cycling transitions.

Remember, spin is not cycling in the sense we use the term. Most people in spin are there for fitness and may never ride a bicycle kind of machine any other time. That is why it is very good to have a converstation with the instructor and to make it "your ride".

As far as weight goes, the reality is that most of us are not skinny little things. In fact I was attracted to spin because the instructor was a "real woman" and had the experience, education and skill to do something for me. One of the other instructors was petite and just what one would envision as an aerobics instructor. I hated her classes and eventually would not go if she was on the schedule. She, just didn't understand full sized people.

But, all said, if the instructor can not demonstrate and perform all the exercises right along with the class then that person needs to find another line of work.

By the way, what is the male/female ratio in your classes? In mine overwhelmingly the participants are female. There are times I'm the only male in the class.
In general, We have about 50/50 ratio. I know several of the participants that attend the classes and they ride outside but many may not.
Old 11-12-10, 05:10 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In general, We have about 50/50 ratio. I know several of the participants that attend the classes and they ride outside but many may not.
In the classes I attended late last winter after my shoulder healed enough to go to the class, the ratio was also about 50/50. The trainers we uses are like fixed gear bikes - no freewheel and a big flywheel. They make your pedaling form better. Like you I will cut back an the long aerobic workouts and work on core muscles, spin will help keep some level of aerobic fitness. Both of the instructors we have are not 20 somethings but more like 40 somethings, very thin and fit. One of them just has a way of getting your head in the routine, the other is like an aerobics instructor on a bike.

As you remember from last spring, preparing for Whiteface is my goal. Looseing about 20 lbs (1/3 is already gone), more core strength and better pedaling form. Right now it's getting the weight down, after that will be more conversion of fat to lean. This particular diet I am on is the first time I have seen my % body fat drop faster than my % weight loss (at least according to my scale which measures both and may be inaccurate).

I will work with the PT in a few weeks and switch my weight routine to one which compliments the ski season. Spin & weights during the week - skiing on the weekends, more fun than a 50+ guy should be allowed to have...
Old 11-15-10, 02:09 PM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Saturday's 10 inches of the cold wet stuff has driven me inside. And it was heavy -- shoveling was quite a chore. Had a nice ride on the trainer last night watching a couple of programs from Comedy Central that I had taped. It took a little while to get comfortable and situated but it wasn't too bad. My coworker also did a ride inside and we talked about how quickly your butt can fall asleep. We think it's caused by rarely coming off the saddle. Even on the smoothest bike path you're contantly posting up even if just for an instant but the trainer doesn't require that at all so you just sit there and pedal. Only 4 more months until spring!
Old 11-15-10, 04:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Oh well, I knew it was going to happen. This morning I had to do my 6AM ride at the gym instead of on the road. Yesterday we had an unexpected snow and the roads were still a little slushy in spots, not worth the risk so I went to the gym instead. They installed a new machine, one with a video display. You follow a pace rider around a course, you have to steer and of course the effort goes up as the grade increases. The machine tracks watts and hear rate. I found it rather fun and I was dripping with sweat when I was done.

I hope to mostly stay on the road for another few weeks but by mid December I am sure I will get to know every course that machine has to offer. Between that, spin and the core strength weight training I really hope not to loose too much over the winter. Skiing is also just around the corner. Should be a busy winter.
Is it the Expresso bike? If so, you can get a very good workout. Hills in the extreme section are a good workout.
Old 11-15-10, 05:58 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by soileauj
Is it the Expresso bike? If so, you can get a very good workout. Hills in the extreme section are a good workout.
Don't recall the brand - if I remember to look I'll let you know.