Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Favorite riding conditions? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/695558-favorite-riding-conditions.html)

DnvrFox 11-16-10 07:18 AM

Favorite riding conditions?

What are your favorite riding conditions? Please tell us more information then the 10 choices allowed on the poll can provide.

Thanks

bobbycorno 11-16-10 07:49 AM

Favorite conditions? Seventies to low eighties, partly cloudy, light winds. That said, the weather doesn't stop me from riding. To borrow a line from my Norwegian ancestors, "There is no bad weather - only inadequate clothing". Snow and ice on the roads are another thing, though. I have a trainer for days like that, and the roads usually clear up in a few days, so why risk hosing up my entire season for one ride?

SP
Bend, OR

Barrettscv 11-16-10 07:50 AM

I'm good at riding in a wide range of conditions, but enjoy 56 - 70f the most. Above 56f, I can wear riding shorts alone, below this level, I wear tights. Above 70f in the Midwest usually includes high humidity, so staying cool can be an issue.

This year Chicago had a warm summer. I completed two long distance rides on the two hottest days of the year. The first 94f day was a metric 100. I was training with an younger Ironman athlete. It was a midday ride and the winds were howling above 15 mph. The second windy 94f day I completed an imperial century, but I started that day at 7am.

I’ll also ride during the winter months. I’ll select sunny and dry days and will ride down to about 25f. I’ll use an alpine ski helmet and a mix of cycling and skiing clothing to stay warm.

Hot weather requires careful hydration and cold weather requires the right clothing.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...Jan2010016.jpg

10 Wheels 11-16-10 07:51 AM

56*-60* with sunshine.

seemunkee 11-16-10 07:54 AM

Poll options broke right at my sweet spot of the mid 80s but I'll ride in the summer when they are saying there are major heat advisories. Mad dogs and Englishmen often came to mind when I was suiting up for a ride during the summer, just wish it wasn't so humid here in MD

stapfam 11-16-10 07:56 AM

Voted for 41 to 55 because that is when I do not need too much extra clothing to stay warm. Don't need the ski mask- the shoe covers- the thick winter gloves or the tights. Just the base layer the 50+ jersey and an outer coat to suit the conditions.

If the temp gets into the 60's I am at a quandry- Will it be raining so what top coat?- Will it warm up so do I layer up initially with light clothing and then where do I stow the surplus?

And above 70 doesn't happen much over here but when it does we have high humidity to go with it. Very tiring.

But I would change my temperature range if I lived in France. There they have temps in excess of 80 but no humidity. I could ride all day in those conditions.

NOS88 11-16-10 08:02 AM

When it's above 80 F. I rarely have aches and pains.

DnvrFox 11-16-10 08:03 AM

About 60 F, sunny or partly cloudy, tail wind both directions :) - given a sunny day, short sleeve jersey.

I ride in shorts with no leggings or tights down to about 50 F

BluesDawg 11-16-10 08:25 AM

I can manage anything from about 35F to 110F. 60 to 75 is ideal. 45-60 and 75-90 are good.

Cold bothers me more than hot. Part of my problem with cold is that I have so little of it to deal with that I tend not to invest in a lot of good cold weather gear. I need to find better solutions to keep my fingers and toes warm.

I like sunny skies when it is cooler and clouds when it is hot. I despise wind unless it is behind me.

pmcq 11-16-10 08:49 AM

55F - 65F under a clear sky with low humidity - welcome to a southern California morning. No excuses - you can't pass this up - you must ride.

gcottay 11-16-10 09:03 AM

Thanks for a fun poll.

79.779 with the sun behind me.

In real life, I enjoy all hot, warm and warmish conditions. Temps over 90 do enhance both appreciation of headwinds and my ability to find shade.

As soon as I find myself slightly dreading a downhill because of the increased breeze it's too cold.

seedsbelize 11-16-10 09:11 AM

I also enjoy riding in the rain, as long as it's not cold(below 85), and as long as I'm not in city traffic. I've lived in the tropics for the past ten years, so anything below 80 and dry, is cold.

Yen 11-16-10 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by pmcq (Post 11794771)
55F - 65F under a clear sky with low humidity - welcome to a southern California morning. No excuses - you can't pass this up - you must ride.

:thumb: In cool temps, I could ride forever. I was hoping for mid-60s for the TdF... turned out to be the warmest day of the week (80-ish).:(

cyclezealot 11-16-10 09:24 AM

we all feel more motivated when riding conditions are perfect. My range since non listed apply: and, it's just a matter of putting on different clothing options in order to adapt..- about 55 to 83.. and sunny.. I am more inclined to ride between about 38 to 55 than when it's above about 83 depending upon humidity..
Other factors that can ruin a perfect day, temperature wise at least.... >.. Wind. Just like today.. It's a beautiful day, but the winds are blowing with gusts well above about 40 mph. Or I'd be out on the bike as we speak..

StanSeven 11-16-10 09:29 AM

I love sunny and 90 degree days where I sweat some. Refilling my bottles at convenience stores with cold water and gatorade is always a treat.

bradtx 11-16-10 09:52 AM

DF, I'm much more used to and prefer hot and humid. I'll be out on the bike later in the day when it'll be upper 60s, lower 70s and I plan on wearing my light PI jacket.

Brad

Shifty 11-16-10 10:04 AM

Give me a sunny day with temps between 75 and 80 degrees and I can ride forever. I can ride in warmer temps, but this is my favorite. That's one thing I love about Oregon, we get lots of days like this all summer long.

rck 11-16-10 10:56 AM

Give me 75 with a few clouds and a light(!) breeze. Warm enough that I don't need additional layers but not so warm as to make me end up swimming in sweat.

Terrierman 11-16-10 11:04 AM

Warm and sunny. With about an 8 to 12 mph tailwind.

gtragitt 11-16-10 11:19 AM

I like it 120 deg F and snowing

mercator 11-16-10 11:22 AM

Temps aren't that important to me, but sunshine really is. I've been guilty of taking off early from work several times over the past few weeks when the sun is shining in order to 'get that last ride in before winter arrives'.

Oh yeah, winter arrived today.:(

AzTallRider 11-16-10 11:37 AM

I'm shocking myself to be saying this, but as the weather has cooled down here this year, I realize that I really prefer the 100-110 days. I've learned how to manage the hot temps, and I don't like the hassle of extra clothing. I don't event want to need long sleeves. Plus, I want to sweat when I ride. Not just a little, but pore-cleansing buckets. Above 110 is abusive, but the 100-110 range (and low humidity) works out fine. Right around 100 here is great riding weather.

flypaca 11-16-10 12:04 PM

My response is PC and 71-85 degrees. but It hardly ever happens here in sunny SE Colorado. I ride with all conditions but the one that is most disconcerting is the wind above 15 knots.

Shifty 11-16-10 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by flypaca (Post 11795765)
My response is PC and 71-85 degrees. but It hardly ever happens here in sunny SE Colorado. I ride with all conditions but the one that is most disconcerting is the wind above 15 knots.

I've ridden Hardscabble Pass many times, a strong headwind makes for a good workout. The view from the top of the Sangres makes it all worth it somehow. Love the Beulah area, nice little corner of the world!

jr59 11-16-10 12:43 PM

Fav ridding;

All DOWNHILL! :)