Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I get to ride!!!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I get to ride!!!

Old 11-27-10, 02:32 AM
Corben

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get to ride!!!

So 5 years or so ago I worked only 7 miles from my home. I would ride early in the AM and arrive 35 minutes later. A little sweaty but with enough time to freshen up.
After work I'd head home around 3 pm and take my time getting back home. Sometimes I'd stop at a park on the way and enjoy a cherry cigar.
That was 5 years ago before I was transferred to another location 15 miles away from home. I didn't have too many options for safe routes and the one time I did ride there it took way too long. Way too much traffic and traffic lights. It sucked.
I really missed riding to work and figured my bicycle commuting days were over.
Then on Wednesday my boss calls me into the office and said he just got off the phone with the Human Resource Debt. I'm thinking I'm in trouble. HR usually means trouble. But he tells me there moving people around to get them closer to thier homes. So starting Tuesday Work will be only 4 miles away from home instead of 15!!!!!!
Not even worth starting the car for. Man, I'm just as excited about the gas savings as I am that I'll be able to ride to work again. I'll be pocketing more mony and getting the exercise I so badly need at this age.
And another good thing, unlike the old ride to work, I don't have to worry about crossing any freeway on/off ramps. And the only over pass I'll need to ride over is a railroad overpass. Come to think of it, thats my steepest hill too! Life is good!
You know 4 weeks ago I went bicycle shopping in hopes of rekindling my bicycle passion. Didn't ride one I felt was any better then the one I owned since '97.
I ended up just taking my old bike in for a simple tune-up that I could have done myself if I wanted to.
Now I have to hunt down some old riding gear. Gloves and a wool cap to keep my ears toasty. My nite Hawk has to be someplace too. Out-dated I'm sure....I wonder if I should install the wicker basket for my lunches again. This is gonna be fun!!
Old 11-27-10, 07:46 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Awesome. Here's to many happy and safe commuting miles.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-27-10, 07:49 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Wow - what a great HR Department - or whoever had the idea to get people's work and home close together. Tell that to the Los Angeles commuters who drive 2 hours one way.

And, 4 miles is also a great walk, if that should strike you. Many of us ride bikes dating from 1990's - the basic principle still applies - turn the pedal and you go forward.

Glad you are pleased.
Old 11-27-10, 08:00 AM
Bare Feet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's great to hear when things work out!
Old 11-27-10, 08:41 AM
wiredfoxterror

Bikes: 2006 Trek Rail 2007 Diamondback Dellacruz 1.0 2009 Trek Lime 2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7 1980s Nishiki Road Bike 1993 Cannondale R700 (Criterium) 1993 Cannondale V1000 1995 Cannondale M1000 1996 Cannondale Killer V900 1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3 1997 Ca

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes luck happens.
Old 11-27-10, 09:22 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the commuter world. Enjoy.
Old 11-27-10, 09:28 AM
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 191 Posts
That's awesome that you get to ride again. The only thing is watching out for winter conditions. Since it doesn't rain all too much out here *looks out window, notices it's raining* the roads will be more slippery from the oils. Ride safely!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-27-10, 09:30 AM
NOS88

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Corben View Post
So 5 years or so ago I worked only 7 miles from my home. I would ride early in the AM and arrive 35 minutes later. A little sweaty but with enough time to freshen up... This is gonna be fun!!
I sure hope so. Enjoy the new routine.
Old 11-27-10, 12:26 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I live 30 miles from work- no way will I commute but I will take the bike in for a one way commute sometimes. But I reckon that 1 hours riding will be around the sensible distance to commute. So that is about 15miles to work but at the end of a 10 hour day- work will have to move 5 miles nearer home to make it comfortable.

Spike Milligan