Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Finding clothing

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Finding clothing

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-04, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same problem--I'm 6'4" and about 230, with size 15 feet, and I don't think there's a bike shop in the country that can fit me consistently. Even if there were, I'm just not going to wear team jerseys and skintight tights--I don't want to look like a NASCAR Pontiac OR a ballet dancer.
I buy as much as I can locally, because I've lived in the same community a long time and know most of the owners, and they're really being pressured by a new REI and the mail-order places. When it comes to clothing, though, if they don't carry what I need and are reluctant to order it, I buy elsewhere without guilt.
As for Nashbar stuff, I've bought a lot of it over the years and haven't had any problems, though as in most cases, you get what you pay for. A $19 pair of shorts is worth $19. I've actually reached the point where the cycle clothing I have will probably take me on to the grave, because I hardly ever wear anything out.
Old 12-22-04, 11:38 AM

Bikes: paratrooper, bullhead, cdale bad boy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zoic makes some pretty comfortable and understated cycling clothing. And teh Performance jerseys like the 'Freeride' and a good value when on sale .
Old 12-23-04, 10:27 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a newbie with a recumbent. Rear pockets and padded shorts are useless to me, and tight lycra (gay looking, as someone said) may not be my favorite, but I don't like clothes that flap in the breeze either, and high visibility is important if you ride on public roads or streets, so I shop for cycling clothes. When you are new, looking for everything, but on a budget, the prices are killer. Someone suggested soccer clothes, but every short sleeved shirt I've seen, other than a cycling jersey, has sleeves that are just too loose. I've been bargain shopping Nashbar and Academy Sporting Goods; it's just going to take me a while to get well outfitted.
Old 12-23-04, 11:09 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I've been bargain shopping Nashbar and Academy Sporting Goods; it's just going to take me a while to get well outfitted.
You can get some pretty decent Jersey-type "breathable" shirts a Wal Mart for about 10-12 bucks, but they have no back pockets. I guess to a bent rider that is likely an advantage. This was last year, and I wouldn't know if they will have them again this year.

I wear all sorts of things - I have several "Jerseys" and bike shorts, which I use on my road bike. On my mtn bike, I wear just about anything, including Jeans in cooler weather, or just regular shorts with big leg openings.

Around here, with so many bikers (literally thousands on any weekend in warmer weather) no one thinks the bike clothes are in any way "gay." Everybody wears them. But things might be different in Texas?
Old 12-24-04, 08:30 PM

Bikes: Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chicharron
I I dont like lycra, too "gay looking"
How many gay people do you know and do they all look the same? How do you tell them apart?

Let's keep bigoted and homophobic comments off the board. They just make you look stupid. And I know from your other posts that you're not stupid.

Last edited by richmyer; 12-25-04 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-24-04, 08:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
I'm all for supporting my LBS, but in the matter of clothing they just don't seem to stock what I am looking for. Part of it is just a matter of how much stock an LBS can afford to keep. One of the best shops in the area just had a sale this weekend, but when I went to check it out I found that "sale" seemed to mean reduced from "exorbitantly overpriced" to just "mildly overpriced" .

But the main thing was the selection. Frankly, at my age, I don't think I look that great as a rolling neon billboard. Do I really want to pay Pearl Izumi (or Fox, or Nike) all that money so I can go around advertising their brand name for them? Are they sponsoring me or something? I guess I've (finally) gotten out of the stage of wearing flamboyantly branded apparel as a status symbol or something.

In any case, I did not find anything suitable at any LBS in my area. On the other hand, some of the catalog places like Nashbar have a good selection of the types of shorts and jerseys that I'm looking for in a more conservative style and at a much lower price. That's probably the way that I'm going to have to go this time. Anyone else have experiences like this?

Doug
I find the same thing. As much as I like to support my lbs, they just don't carry enough of a selection of clothing to make do. Thus, I mail order some of the clothing.

Like you, I don't want to go around advertising. However, I do like bright jerseys because I find when driving in my car that I can see someone with yellow or orange or red or certain blues way better that darker colors (black or grey or dark blue or green or even white).
Old 12-26-04, 08:36 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
You can get some pretty decent Jersey-type "breathable" shirts a Wal Mart for about 10-12 bucks, but they have no back pockets. I guess to a bent rider that is likely an advantage. This was last year, and I wouldn't know if they will have them again this year.

I wear all sorts of things - I have several "Jerseys" and bike shorts, which I use on my road bike. On my mtn bike, I wear just about anything, including Jeans in cooler weather, or just regular shorts with big leg openings.

Around here, with so many bikers (literally thousands on any weekend in warmer weather) no one thinks the bike clothes are in any way "gay." Everybody wears them. But things might be different in Texas?

There are really a lot of cyclists here in Texas (at least my part of it); cycling clothes rarely draw a second look. I have found some Athletic Works long sleeve athletic shirts, in bright blue and red colors, at Walmart for less than 10 bucks, and they work very well for cycling jerseys. Unfortunately, the short sleeve version of the same shirt has the too-loose sleeves that most short sleeve shirts seem to. With the angle I sit on my bent (see my avatar), loose short sleeves really catch the wind. I have found that rear pockets don't bother me, as long as they don't have zippers or an excessively large seam, so most of my short sleeve jerseys are probably going to really be cycling jerseys (as I can find bargain ones). I haven't had my Nashbar clothes long enough to comment on the long term quality yet, but so far, so good.
Old 12-27-04, 06:29 AM
Live to Ride,Ride to Live

Bikes: 2 - GT Panteras of different vintages, Trek 1100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I refuse to pay for the privilage of advertizing for someones else, as well. I usually wear khaki shorts, loose fitting t-shirts,tennis shoes, sunglasses, and a helmet during warm weather.When its cold, sweat pants, sweat shirt, with thermal-Thinsulate underneath it all. I dont like lycra, too "gay looking"
ROFL! Too "gay looking" huh?

Actually I like bike shorts because of the padded crotch, but I usually wear the off road style baggy ones. This, year, though, since I started riding a steel frame again and my old Brooks B-17 saddle I have been able to wear all kinds of things from full length jeans to gym shorts to walking shorts. I have never worn jerseys, preferring whatever t-shirts I can get cheap. I like bike shoes because the last time I rode with sneakers my feet would cramp. (I still ride platform pedals.)
Old 12-28-04, 04:58 PM
chicharron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by richmyer
How many gay people do you know and do they all look the same? How do you tell them apart?

Let's keep bigoted and homophobic comments off the board. They just make you look stupid. And I know from your other posts that you're not stupid.
uh oh, busted by the p.c.police.

Last edited by chicharron; 12-28-04 at 06:07 PM.

Old 12-28-04, 07:17 PM

Bikes: Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The last sentence in my original post was probably incorrect.
Old 12-29-04, 07:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally cheap here

Tee shirts from REI when on sale for 9$

Sportif shorts, 6 pockets,only when on sale or I find them in the local thrift shops

Shoes, either Merrill or North Face, no clipless need apply

Took 4 tees 3 shorts 2 pr shoes for 2 months in Europe, worked perfectly

Used all for riding and hiking in the mountains

Not a slave to the "fashionable" racing look, its a look for geeky young who ride FAST and go clunk, clunk, clunk when they stop in our morning coffee shop on the beach

I'm an old geek who rides slo, enjoys the scenery, eventually gets to where I'm going

Besides nothing sillier than an old guy in TIGHT Flourescent colors, and bulges in the wrong places

I hide mine with loose clothes

Helmet? never short change my head protection
Old 12-29-04, 09:26 AM
Volvo (Latin: I roll)

Bikes: Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Navigator and a vintage Brittany Free Spirit for the wife

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Doh! You mean he was talking about gay as in "gay" and not: "Don we now our gay apparel, Fa la la, la la la la.....?"
Old 12-29-04, 02:02 PM
old, fat, lazy wannabe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaperBoy
Doh! You mean he was talking about gay as in "gay" and not: "Don we now our gay apparel, Fa la la, la la la la.....?"
Come to think of it, some of that awfully-colored, advertising-heavy apparel DOES appear pretty "gay", in the older, pre-1969-Stonewall-Rebellion sense.

And most of my gay friends wouldn't be caught DEAD in those colors... although I'm told the cut is pretty attractive, on the right body. (Which is not mine, by the way; my physique is less likely to elicit stares of appreciation than pointing and snickering.)
Old 12-29-04, 04:28 PM
chicharron

****-phobic? according to Webster,phobia implies an irrational fear of somthing. I only am disgusted by a deviant life style. But if some one else prefers show tunes, and color coordinated fashion accesories, that's there business. Anyway, I could give a damn what's considered correct thinking in some p.c. circles.

Old 12-29-04, 04:29 PM
chicharron

but, hey, call me stupid.

Old 12-29-04, 05:22 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I frequently ask the proprietor of my LBS if he can get something I need and at what price. If he says he can, I order it. If he say's he can't, I ask if he knows where I can get it.

Generally, I have been satisfied with his responsiveness, service and pricing. I am not embarrassed or ashamed to let him know that I sometimes purchase goods elsewhere.
Old 12-29-04, 05:27 PM
chicharron

I think that I might purchase some tennis shoes with velcroe straps, however. Shoe strings keep getting wrapped around the crank and peddles.

Old 01-05-05, 11:24 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Ok kiddies mind your manners now.

Ok, I realize that none of you are kids, just had the urge to put it in words that way.
Old 01-06-05, 06:42 AM
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chicharron, Try double knotting your laces to make them shorter, or tuck the laces into the side of your shoe. Either way they should stay out of the cranks. It works for me. I ride with hiking shoes and sneakers, and have for many years. Ever had them get caught and wind up so tight you couldn't get your foot off the pedal?

'bent Brian
Old 01-06-05, 07:39 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I think that I might purchase some tennis shoes with velcroe straps, however. Shoe strings keep getting wrapped around the crank and peddles.
Make sure the knot is to the outside of the tennis shoe, double or triple tie the knot, and you should have no problems. I ride my mtn bike on casual rides with tennies all the time. I use a rubber band or two to keep my pants leg out of the sprocket.

As far as "gay" clothes, around here there are thousands of bikers, about 90% who wear those "gay" clothes. No one here considers them gay, in fact, most folks have a bike (perhaps not ridden much) in their garage, and their own set of biking clothes. For longer rides, such as 20+ miles, they are comfortable and designed to not chafe. I love my jerseys and biking shorts. They are the norm, and you would be looked at funny if you did not wear them. Bicyclists are highly respected in this part of the country.

Here I am at age 59 - I don't think I look "gay" at all. That jersey is from a 400 mile ride, "Ride the Rockies" (This picture was taken in the middle of a 100 mile bike ride in one day. Many folks attitude about clothing change when they get to 100 mile rides in one day and realize the comfort of and need for Lycra shorts and Jerseys.)

I realize this varies considerably depending on in what part of the country you are located.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-06-05 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-06-05, 07:55 AM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by All Ya'LL
Anyway, I could give a damn what's considered correct thinking in some p.c. circles.
Let's keep bigoted and homophobic comments off the board. They just make you look stupid.
Get over yourself. "Gay" is a teenager-ism in this contaxt (sic)
But things might be different in Texas?
I dont like lycra, too "gay looking"
tight lycra (gay looking, as someone said)
you may not give a damn about the PC circles, but if you want this thread
to survive, and for you to remain active here please do give a damn about the guidelines.

Denver, No different here (Tejas) than in denver, except you have climbs. And it's green in
Colorado. And you have stands of Aspen and other hardwoods. And it Snows there as opposed
to Ice storms here. . . As I said no difference. . . .

Please, we expect more "decorum" from the old farts forum . . . (I can say that as I'm an old fart ).

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 01-06-05, 08:53 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I have collected lots of road & mtn bike clothing over last several years and almost everything was purchased on sale from various LBS I've visited. I seem to have ended up with a lot of Cannondale. Good quality, functional design and widely available. Critical bike-specific clothing are shorts and shoes. Everything else can pretty much be multi-sport. For everything other than really laid-back recreational riding, clip in, bike specific shoes are a must for me, and aside from bikes, shoes are where I've invested the most money. Also, regarding "flamboyant" clothing, I try to be as colorful as possible on the road. The farther away you can see me, the safer I feel. Having said that, my wardrobe is pretty much black, with occasional blue highlights - pretty boring, but functional.
Old 01-06-05, 11:39 AM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
. . . regarding "flamboyant" clothing, I try to be as colorful as possible on the road. The farther away you can see me, the safer I feel.
I seem to recall a study that said in effect a solid colour (no matter what colour) is more
easily seen that a pattern. Makes sense if you think about camouflage where the pattern is
designed to break up the lines of whatever you're trying to hide. I've been moving more towards
solid colours, albeit bright colour (screaming yellow jerseys).

marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 01-06-05, 01:02 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
you may not give a damn about the PC circles, but if you want this thread
to survive, and for you to remain active here please do give a damn about the guidelines.
Please, we expect more "decorum" from the old farts forum . . . (I can say that as I'm an old fart ).
Marty
I agree wuth this. There is no more room for bigotry here on a forum where everyone over 50 should feel comfortable. I wasn't clear if chicharron's "deviant lifestyle" remark referred to *****exuality or to bike shorts. A case could perhaps be made for either --but please make that case on the Politics Forum--not here!
Old 01-07-05, 02:21 PM
chicharron

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Make sure the knot is to the outside of the tennis shoe, double or triple tie the knot, and you should have no problems. I ride my mtn bike on casual rides with tennies all the time. I use a rubber band or two to keep my pants leg out of the sprocket.

As far as "gay" clothes, around here there are thousands of bikers, about 90% who wear those "gay" clothes. No one here considers them gay, in fact, most folks have a bike (perhaps not ridden much) in their garage, and their own set of biking clothes. For longer rides, such as 20+ miles, they are comfortable and designed to not chafe. I love my jerseys and biking shorts. They are the norm, and you would be looked at funny if you did not wear them. Bicyclists are highly respected in this part of the country.

Here I am at age 59 - I don't think I look "gay" at all. That jersey is from a 400 mile ride, "Ride the Rockies" (This picture was taken in the middle of a 100 mile bike ride in one day. Many folks attitude about clothing change when they get to 100 mile rides in one day and realize the comfort of and need for Lycra shorts and Jerseys.)

I realize this varies considerably depending on in what part of the country you are located.
So,this is what Dnvr Fox looks like. Is the abreviation short for "Denver Fox" or "Dover Fox'?
Say, did you win the grouchiest poster contest?
Thanks for the tip about the shoe strings.
Well, I'm sorry, but those lycra shorts and jerseys really do "flame". Esp the "tight little shorts".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.