Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Busted by my LBS

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Busted by my LBS

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-10, 04:31 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Busted by my LBS

My wife and I promised that we would not buy gifts for each other unless it was something the other needed. That in itself is recipe for disaster but I went along with the idea. This morning while we were having coffee she asked me where she might find a cycling style shirt or sweater like the Pearl Izumi cycling sweater she gave me for a birthday a few years ago. I suggested the LBS.

Well, here is where the conversation went South. It seems that she visited the LBS recently looking for the type of clothing described. A very nice gentleman asked if he could help her find what she needed, so she described the type of clothing item she was looking for. During the discussion with the store employee my wife stated that I come in the store all the time when I brake something. She told the LBS employee my name and also asked if there was any other cycling item he could suggest. The very nice employee told my wife that he knows me well and that "he is well supplied" and there probably was not anything he could suggest.

I know the store follows BF to an extent, so "Thanks Don!, From the guy who gave you the vintage tubular wheel".

Am I screwed or what?
Old 12-10-10, 04:39 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
You need a new LBS, you want someone who will cover for you, dang, what's wrong with that guy? I was on eBay last night and asked myself, what else do I want/need. Couldn't think of a thing. How depressing.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 12-10-10, 04:52 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I think you need to make another Xtranormal movie and send it to your LBS. To alleviate the horrible situation that now confronts you, I spread my business around to several shops as well as the Internet to keep everyone off guard and the LBSs' pencils sharp.
Old 12-10-10, 04:52 PM

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am guessing the LBS employee is single, young, or both. An experienced married man would never throw another man under the bus like that, unless it was on purpose.

I think you are OoL (out of luck).

Merry Xmas.

Mark
Old 12-10-10, 05:23 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
I believe the N+1 theorem applies to biking gear and apparel.
Old 12-10-10, 08:01 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
I believe the N+1 theorem applies to biking gear and apparel.
I'd propose to you on the spot but my first wife would probably object.
Old 12-10-10, 08:22 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
You need more than one LBS!
Old 12-10-10, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
I just finished a book about modern-day American polygamists. You probably don't want to hang with them.
Old 12-10-10, 10:22 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
I am flattered Mr. Robtown, but aside from the obvious issues, you might be put off by the knowledge that my N+1 also includes expensive high-heel shoes and dresses.
Old 12-10-10, 10:26 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can not leave my LBS. The guys there are first rate people and always take care of me while I'm there. This past fall I brought a wheel from my cyclo cross bike that had a broken spoke and 3 others that were damaged. They dropped what they were doing on other bikes and replaced the spokes and trued the wheel within 20 minutes. The same scenario applies every time I visit. I'll get over this on the home front, even though it's 95% true. The fact is that my 2 sons know they can raid my bike stuff cabinet for CO2 cartridges, tubes, cleats, chains, bar tape etc... because dad keeps a good inventory.
Old 12-10-10, 11:56 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am flattered Mr. Robtown, but aside from the obvious issues, you might be put off by the knowledge that my N+1 also includes expensive high-heel shoes and dresses.
If I were a single guy I would be ok with your N+1
Old 12-11-10, 01:45 AM
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
My wife and I promised that we would not buy gifts for each other unless it was something the other needed. That in itself is recipe for disaster but I went along with the idea. This morning while we were having coffee she asked me where she might find a cycling style shirt or sweater like the Pearl Izumi cycling sweater she gave me for a birthday a few years ago. I suggested the LBS.

Well, here is where the conversation went South. It seems that she visited the LBS recently looking for the type of clothing described. A very nice gentleman asked if he could help her find what she needed, so she described the type of clothing item she was looking for. During the discussion with the store employee my wife stated that I come in the store all the time when I brake something. She told the LBS employee my name and also asked if there was any other cycling item he could suggest. The very nice employee told my wife that he knows me well and that "he is well supplied" and there probably was not anything he could suggest.

I know the store follows BF to an extent, so "Thanks Don!, From the guy who gave you the vintage tubular wheel".

Am I screwed or what?
I think you are jumping to the wrong conclusion. I think your wife is getting you some nice bike wear from the LBS and is just telling you this story to throw you off guard, so you will be all the more surprised. I wouldn't mention this to the LBS as it puts him in a difficult position, although if he has any brains at all, he will cover for you wife if the situation arises, after all, all will be forgiven by you at Christmas time but your wife will not be so forgiving if he spills the beans early.
Old 12-11-10, 04:20 AM

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Allegheny Jet
If your wife has the kind of sense of humor that you do she has you covered. That line "he is well supplied" should give you a clue. Does an army drill Sargent make a terrible therapist? Is a bird in the hand worth two in the bush? Is your LBS on your well supplied?

Did she take the winter car that day?
Old 12-11-10, 06:38 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'd get down the LBS and put them straight. Surely they have some extravagance sitting on the shelf that your "Joint" Credit card can run to?

And leave the wifes phone number with the shop so they can can phone her up to tell her "About your husbands christmas present!!! We have been thinking about it and he could really do with a New Lusso Winter coat"--Or whatever else you tell them you can afford.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-11-10, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Take up kayaking, then you need a new one of everything.
Old 12-11-10, 08:52 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
My Christmas present to myself just arrived.

2010 CAPO TEAM SHORT SLEEVE CYCLING JERSEY SIZE S~XXXL

Current higher-priced listing of the same thing:

https://cgi.ebay.com/Capo-Modena-Shor...item6d6e7be353

The Capo Forma company has nothing whatsoever to do w/ Capo Computarrad / Otto Cap Rad und Metallfabrik of Vienna, but it's cool to have a Capo water bottle and a Capo jersey.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Last edited by John E; 12-11-10 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-11-10, 09:05 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John E
My Christmas present to myself just arrived.

2010 CAPO TEAM[B] SHORT SLEEVE CYCLING JERSEY SIZE XXXL
You gonna use it for a bike cover?
Old 12-11-10, 11:00 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
You need a new LBS, you want someone who will cover for you, dang, what's wrong with that guy? I was on eBay last night and asked myself, what else do I want/need. Couldn't think of a thing. How depressing.
I know the feeling. I have all the bikes I need, and they all are set up exactly how I want them. I'm not longing for any part, article of clothing, etc. The last time my wife gave me a gift certificate to our local bike shop I had to struggle to find something I could use.

What I really want is to get her a touring bike, panniers, racks, etc. and get her to come on tour with me. She says no, not yet. How depressing.
Old 12-11-10, 11:11 AM
17yrold in 64yrold body

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
You gonna use it for a bike cover?
C'mon Jet, cut the guy some slack--if he's out using it (WHATEVER size it is), he's headed in the right direction.
Old 12-11-10, 11:12 AM
17yrold in 64yrold body

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stringbreaker: I AM a single guy, and I'm OK with her N+1!
Old 12-11-10, 12:55 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I think you need to make another Xtranormal movie and send it to your LBS. To alleviate the horrible situation that now confronts you, I spread my business around to several shops as well as the Internet to keep everyone off guard and the LBSs' pencils sharp.
Definitely this has to be another Xtranormal movie -- everything I know about cycling I learned from Allegheny Jet's Xtranormal movies. I'd say the LBS has earned a round of public humiliation (plus your continiuing patronage, of course).

BTW, once again your wife has emerged as the only sane person in this story.
Old 12-11-10, 01:16 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, we had marriage proposals, guys too well stocked, guys who want more, conspiracy theorists, and other plot lines. When's the movie coming out?
Old 12-11-10, 03:21 PM

Bikes: 2008 Trek FX 7.1, 1984 Fuji Esprit, 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next time she needs to talk to the LBS owner. I doubt she'd get the same response.
Old 12-11-10, 04:34 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badamsjr
C'mon Jet, cut the guy some slack--if he's out using it (WHATEVER size it is), he's headed in the right direction.
The web site selling the jersey only has shirts sized up to XL. I took the chance on my reply that I wasn't out of line.
Old 12-11-10, 06:07 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I'm thinking you were too late in dropping off that "Xmas 6-pack" at the LBS this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.