Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Tinsel Triathlon Hemet CA 12/12/10 (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/700840-tinsel-triathlon-hemet-ca-12-12-10-a.html)

sjordan1959 12-12-10 05:40 PM

Tinsel Triathlon Hemet CA 12/12/10

3 Attachment(s)
I competed in the Tinsel Triathlon, always fun because most participants are pretty casual. I have had mono for the last 2 months, so I have only been on my bike 5 times since Nov 1st. I competed as a relay team with 2 of my students. Kevin started off did the 5k and did really well, giving me a nice head start. Which I quickly blew. My leg was only 12 miles, but that is daunting when ill. Anyway, I finished my leg in the middle of the pack, not sure what my time was because it hasn't been posted yet. But considering how sick I have been i feel pretty good that my average speed was about 13 MPH. Alex finished up the swim. A good time was had by all. My favorite part was the reindeer team. They had Rudolf, a bunch of reindeer and Santa. When i saw them during the bike ride, they were riding in formation!

stapfam 12-14-10 11:51 AM

I would love to try a Tri sometime but my swimming skill is zero and I can no longer run. So not much chance but a few years ago on holiday with the family in France- They came up with a Team Tri like this. Son-in law was doing the swimming- Daughter the running and I would do the MTB course. Swim was 500 metres- Run was 5Kms and the proposed MTB ride was 10Kms--Till the others took one look at the course and got it cut down to 5kms round the paths on the Camp site. The one advantage we had was gone but it was a blast.

Well done on Competing And practice the running and Swimming skills- Next year your on your own:rolleyes::rolleyes:

kjc9640 12-14-10 12:36 PM

During the early 90s I did a lot of the Gator Ade sprint tris with a relay team. We were called Splash (swimmer) Flash (biker) Dash (runner). Two of us were over 50 and Splash was 71. We had a ball. We usually won first place in our age category, many time because we were the only ones in the category.

rnorris 12-14-10 12:55 PM

Congrats on a great effort under trying circumstances. I hope to do something like this soon if my retirement plans aren't totally trashed and I have the time to train (I'm not a great swimmer, OK as a cyclist, best as a runner.)

OT: I initially read the title as "Tinsel Triathlon Helmet". Too used to helmet threads :lol:

doctor j 12-14-10 04:37 PM

Well done, SJ. Sounds like it was a lot of fun, and the photos reflect that.

sjordan1959 12-14-10 08:18 PM

It was fun, I have done several on my own. But my orthopedic surgeon says no running. So a relay team is the way I will be going. The boys want to do it again, and hopefully I will be in better shape next year!