Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I must be getting old... it's freaking cold out!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-10, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Got up to go riding this morning - checked the weather. 30F, Winds @ 22mph avg/gusts above 30 on my home anamometer.

Too freaking cold for me!

I used to revel in the cold when I lived in Alaska, Maine and Germany. Wtf happened?

I must be getting old.
Old 12-13-10, 10:11 AM

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy (cannibalized), 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I'm guessing that either a) You've lost weight and/or b) your blood just thinned out.

I'm a California native (where "cold" is defined as "anything below 60"). I get a perverse joy of hearing about folks from the east coast moving to CA, saying how we're all weak and can't handle the cold...then, after a few months, they go home for a visit...and find it's they that cannot handle the cold.
Old 12-13-10, 10:12 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by drmweaver2
Got up to go riding this morning - checked the weather. 30F, Winds @ 22mph avg/gusts above 30 on my home anamometer.

Too freaking cold for me!

I used to revel in the cold when I lived in Alaska, Maine and Germany. Wtf happened?

I must be getting old.
Welcome to Namby-Pamby Land.
Felt almost too cold to drive to work today - about fell down shoveling the driveway last night - Saturday it rained, then it got cold and froze, then it snowed yesterday.
Is it almost Spring yet?
Old 12-13-10, 10:15 AM
MWS

Bikes: Gary Fisher Cronus,Trek FX 7.5, Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gonna be a long winter. I'm looking at exercise bikes LOL!
Old 12-13-10, 10:22 AM
commuter and barbarian

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I thought when I left the house today that it would be the coldest I'd ever ridden. I know I've ridden in colder ambient temperatures, but not into a 15-20 mph wind. But it didn't feel as bad as I expected. I think my layers are superior today than what I used to use. You just gotta have the right clothes.
Old 12-13-10, 10:25 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
We are suffering in 60F temps here on the plains of "cold" Colorado.

MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFriday
63° F | 36° F

67° F | 34° F

52° F | 25

But, I am sick and staying indoors!!!!!!!!

BTW, we are ALL getting "old" - or not.
Old 12-13-10, 10:40 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

Getting ready to ride to work. On the way home tonight I'm stopping for the public meeting on the draft of the Rochester Bicycle Master Plan.

Wanna bet I'll be the only one there on a bike?
Old 12-13-10, 10:50 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
We had fog on Sat. morn with 54 deg.F at the start of the ride, then the fog lifted and we had 75 by the finish (50 miles and lots of climbing later!).

On Sun. it started out mid-60's and ended (only 30 miles later_ wuss ride) in the mid 80's.

Just one more reason I moved from Missouri!

Rick / OCRR
Old 12-13-10, 11:09 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, spent yesterday getting the shanty in order. Test fired the portable heater. Put 4 lb florocarbon line in the reels. Put all the new lures, I purchased at a discount after last season ended, in the tackle bag. Put new baldes on the ice auger. Put...

Oops!

Wrong forum, sorry, carry on with the crying and whin....
Old 12-13-10, 11:11 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I feel your pain! I've been seriously considering turning the heat up to my age (60) instead of its usual 58. I figure if I turn it up one degree yearly it will be reasonably comfortable in about 10 years. I'm also beginning to think that being a "snowbird" wouldn't be such a bad thing either. It was 2 deg. this AM on my walk downtown.

Hey Allegheny-I've a portable ice shack collecting dust in the garage-if you ever come through sw wi its yours for the taking!
Old 12-13-10, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Hmmm ... a little perspective:
here, we have 100+ cms snow on the ground (result of last week's storm). Yesterday, +4 degrees c, with mixed rain/ice/snow falling steadily on top of the aforementioned 100+cms snow for about 18 hours. Last night/this morning: snap freeze; air temperature this a.m. -15degrees c (+ 40-60kmh wind[chill]); expecting another 20-30 cms snow over the next 48 hours.
Lous'ana sounds like winter (cycling) paradise to me!
Old 12-13-10, 11:35 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Okay.. a bit of personal perspective. I have "wintered over" in McMurdo-Antarctica, spent two winters in Alaska, 4 in Maine and worked a winter on Mount Washington (the windiest palce in the US). But all of those were at least a dozen years ago.

The difference between what WAS cold and what IS cold now has to be age-related, it seems to me.

Then again, I still have my looks --- the mirror borrows them often but I always get them back.

Last edited by drmweaver2; 12-13-10 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-13-10, 11:35 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I know that as my circulatory system has changed with age, I need to wear different layers than I used to. I also find that wind tends to chill me more that it used to. So, I look for shells that are windproof up to 60+ mhp. Makes a big difference in terms of my wanting to go out.

BTW, there's no question you're getting old. We all are. The real question is if we've learned to make the adaptation necessary to continue doing the things we love.
Old 12-13-10, 11:44 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was only a 12 mile ride to work that I did this morning at dark-thirty, but it was 22 degrees, and yes, that's colder than I like.
Old 12-13-10, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by drmweaver2
Okay.. a bit of personal perspective. I have "wintered over" in McMurdo-Antarctica, spent two winters in Alaska, 4 in Maine and worked a winter on Mount Washington (the windiest palce in the US). But all of those were at least a dozen years ago.

The difference between what WAS cold and what IS cold now has to be age-related, it seems to me.

Then again, I still have my looks --- the mirror borrows them often but I always get them back.
Good stuff indeed! My experience is a little different: West Coast (B.C.) born/brought up, last 20 years in southwestern Ontario.
I'll never acclimatize to the winters here -- hopeless; and I don't ... like ... cold!
So ... 60ish F. this time of year sounds balmy to me, even at age 60 (ish).
Cheers!
Old 12-13-10, 11:51 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rck
Hey Allegheny-I've a portable ice shack collecting dust in the garage-if you ever come through sw wi its yours for the taking!
I've booked marked this thread. Thanks for the offer!
Old 12-13-10, 03:56 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Suburban (35 years old, the bikes not us), 2 Trek 7000, T900 (Tandem), 2 EZ Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When is this "global warming" thing going to kick in and make me feel warm again?
Old 12-13-10, 04:41 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Winter is taking hold, high tomorrow here is 20 this is after a warm front came through last night with a lot of rain. So now we freeze again. The roller coaster fronts have given me a bad cold, so I cuddle up under a blanket waiting for when I can go do a spin class...
Old 12-13-10, 05:03 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Even here in sunny So Fla were freezing.... literally. It's supposed to be 31 tonight. And with 15 mph winds. I usually ride a 5 am for 2 hrs or so, but tomorrow I'll sleep in. To make matters worse, I just found a duplicate record for a metric back in April, so now I'm 63 mi further back in my 7,000 mi goal for 2010. I've to 3 weeks to rack up the last 300 mi. Bummer. The weather is supposed to warm later in the week. I'll have to do a metric on thursday just to get back to even.
Old 12-13-10, 05:09 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Cold has gotten old. I'm ready for warmer weather.
Old 12-13-10, 06:20 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Well I am in NW Florida, we are not used to the current lows and wind chill factors we are experiencing. Our low in our Zip code is forecast at 19 F. It is age for me, I used to go in shirt sleeves most of the year here and I work in construction as an engineer on local Naval bases. Now with 16 surgeries in 10 years I find myself bundled up clothes wise and wearing my flight jacket to the bases all the time. Our son is in Quebec and he as acclimated to the cold and absolutely loves that and the snow. They are at 100+ cm as of last week and it is snowing now. BTW, our low is below the Sherburrne, Quebec forecast low tonight, weird to me.

All said I will still ride when the surgeon releases me, hopefully on 06 Jan 11, and the schedule of afternoon and weekend rides can be resumed then. I have been looking at warm riding kit seriously and will be investing in tights, socks, gloves and a good riding jacket.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-13-10, 08:03 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Low teens at night here in my part of NC, 30's during the day. I gave up riding and now walk 4-5 miles each day. Its a nice change really, I'll probably mix the two when it warms up.
Old 12-14-10, 06:52 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was 83 on Saturday and 85 on Sunday... It's not suppose to be hot in December! I got all dehydrated and dizzy this weekend on my long ride... I pray for cold weather to hit California!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 12-14-10, 08:03 AM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RunningPirate
I'm guessing that either a) You've lost weight and/or b) your blood just thinned out.

I'm a California native (where "cold" is defined as "anything below 60"). I get a perverse joy of hearing about folks from the east coast moving to CA, saying how we're all weak and can't handle the cold...then, after a few months, they go home for a visit...and find it's they that cannot handle the cold.
You're right about that. When I first moved to Sunnyvale, I thought you all were crazy complaining when it was 40 degrees. After having moved back to Wisconsin after 12 years in California, winters are much harder to deal with. it was -2 here this morning.
Old 12-14-10, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Good stuff indeed! My experience is a little different: West Coast (B.C.) born/brought up, last 20 years in southwestern Ontario.
I'll never acclimatize to the winters here -- hopeless; and I don't ... like ... cold!
So ... 60ish F. this time of year sounds balmy to me, even at age 60 (ish).
Cheers!
+1, but only in ON for 14 years. Whenever I vist Vancouver in winter I freeze my butt off. The moisture just soaks right through. Don't get me wrong. As soon as this career thing ends, I am back on the Wet Coast!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.