Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ok, take it easy on me, "What's wrong with the Dork Disc"?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ok, take it easy on me, "What's wrong with the Dork Disc"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-10, 11:43 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Those chrome steel ones on bike in the 70's were epic.

Old 12-24-10, 12:55 AM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know how bikes today can be made waaaayy under the UCI min weight? Well, instead of taping weights to the tubes and stuff, just stick a steel D.D. on. That'll learn 'em to make them bikes so light.

BTW, Pcad, I like the pic above, especially how they made the effort to cut out most of the steel in an effort to make it lighter.

I'm surprised some enterprising punk hasn't come out with a Spinnerz version of an updated D.D.
Old 12-24-10, 06:36 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Pie plate...now that's got to be connected with a pie ride
Suddenly I have the urge to walk down to the kitchen, steal a bunch of pie pans from Mrs. Grouch, and fit them on all of my bikes. That way I'll always be prepared for a good pie ride.
Old 12-24-10, 06:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being so new, I had never heard of these faux pas, but the owner of the bike shop did! so he took the reflectors off right away. Then he took off the DD thing when he replaced my rear tire. When I heard the word "dork", it wasn't a look I wanted to intentionally be sporting. I'm pretty sure I'm not any faster, and I like to think I'm not a dork YOMV lol!!
Old 12-24-10, 08:42 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm definitely a dork, but I don't have a dork disc on any of my bikes. How will I survive the scrutiny of others?
Old 12-24-10, 08:44 AM
z90

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I say leave it on just to piss off the road Nazis.
Likes For z90:
Old 12-24-10, 08:48 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by z90
I say leave it on just to piss off the road Nazis.
And you will succeed!
Old 12-24-10, 08:49 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Those chrome steel ones on bike in the 70's were epic.

Pcad, nice Pug, do you still have it?
Old 12-24-10, 08:57 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't like them on my bicycle due to the rattle. I prefer a silent bike.
Old 12-24-10, 09:05 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
If anyone has one for an Ultegra 6500 hub let me know. The other day I shifted a little hard on the Paramount, on a big hill, and I heard this xylophone sounding noise. Luckily for me, I realized it was that perfect tinny twange you get when the little inside screw of the jockey pully on the rear DR begins to harmonize with the rear spokes.

So, if anyone can find a Shimano Ultegra 6500 dork disk (I want to keep my gruppo intact) please let me know.

Or remind me which of those screws on that that rear DR limit travel to the big gears.
Old 12-24-10, 09:23 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
If anyone has one for an Ultegra 6500 hub let me know. The other day I shifted a little hard on the Paramount, on a big hill, and I heard this xylophone sounding noise. Luckily for me, I realized it was that perfect tinny twange you get when the little inside screw of the jockey pully on the rear DR begins to harmonize with the rear spokes.

So, if anyone can find a Shimano Ultegra 6500 dork disk (I want to keep my gruppo intact) please let me know.

Or remind me which of those screws on that that rear DR limit travel to the big gears.
Whether or not you choose to run the protective disk, by all means adjust your limit screws properly. It should only be there for extra insurance, not as a substitute for proper adjustment. The process is described on the Park Tools site. If you can't do it yourself, take it to a mechanic.

I don't really think there is such a thing as a group specific dork disk.
Old 12-24-10, 09:38 AM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are cheap pieces of plastic that don't belong on my bikes...just like the stupid reflectors on the front, rear and spokes. They also can rattle.
Old 12-24-10, 10:00 AM
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I leave on the dork discs and reflectors, just to piss off the young fellers on their plastic bikes, when this 70 year old passes them!
Old 12-24-10, 11:39 AM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess this is wrong, but it's what a bike mechanic told me in the 70s: Without the dork disk, the rear wheel is designed such that if the chain goes off the big cog, it will fit between the cogs and the spokes, and not cause problems. With a dork disk, and the chain goes off, it gets wedged between the cogs and the dork disk. False?
Old 12-24-10, 11:43 AM

Bikes: 91 Specialized Sirrus, 96 Gary Fischer, 08 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2010 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have DDs on my road bikes but I do leave it on my touring bike. If a rear pannier came loose and pushed (flexed)the RD inward the DD may prevent a broken RD and spokes. My bikes are very well maintained but the extra insurance is good to have on my touring bike.
Old 12-24-10, 11:55 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
The dork disc just doesn't get enough love... it does serve a practical function in some cases like the aforementioned touring bike and I prefer the older steel ones to the plastic ones that have this tendency to yellow and crack.

With that being said... I don't run one on any of my bikes but if I found a vintage Simplex it would go on my vintage Peugeot touring bike.

Those spoke mounted reflectors do have to go though... if you ride any kind of miles those things will f up the spokes they are attached to as they cause premature fatigue and they really don't do a very good job of reflecting. In short... they are pretty useless.

Modern reflective materials like 3m tape are lighter, come in every colour known and weigh almost nothing.

I can live with stem shifters but suicide levers aren't called suicide levers for nothing... they now make these things called interrupter / cross levers that actually work as well as the main brakes on a bike and allow for braking from the top of a road bar.
Old 12-24-10, 11:57 AM
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I've got a Suntour Perfect 6-speed freewheel that came with a matching Suntour aluminum spoke protector. It's so light it almost floats away and I have to put a paperweight on it when I'm doing maintenance on the hub and have the freewheel off so the wind doesn't catch it and make it airborne. it's not a real detriment to performance.

It looks cool on there and I like to piss off the n00bs who've been wrenching and riding just long enough to have heard a few things and now thinks that anyone who has one on their bike still is a "dork."

Anyone who has ever DNF'd a MTB race due to falsely-believing that their "properly-adjusted" derailleir limit screw was fool-proof and had their spokes eat and simultaniously be eaten by the derailleur might better understand the true utility of the device.

But to each their own. I'm sure that a properly-maintained road-only bike is perfectly safe relying solely on the limit screw.
Old 12-24-10, 11:58 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I guess this is wrong, but it's what a bike mechanic told me in the 70s: Without the dork disk, the rear wheel is designed such that if the chain goes off the big cog, it will fit between the cogs and the spokes, and not cause problems. With a dork disk, and the chain goes off, it gets wedged between the cogs and the dork disk. False?
When your chain falls between the cogs and the spokes it runs along the outer row of spokes and can cause severe damage... if the spokes don't break right away they will be bent and weakened and will start breaking somewhere down the road.
Old 12-24-10, 12:00 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Amesja
It looks cool on there and I like to piss off the n00bs who've been wrenching and riding just long enough to have heard a few things and now thinks that anyone who has one on their bike still is a "dork."

Anyone who has ever DNF'd a MTB race due to falsely-believing that their "properly-adjusted" derailleir limit screw was fool-proof and had their spokes eat and simultaniously be eaten by the derailleur might better understand the true utility of the device.
I have you beat... I have spokey dokes on my mtb.

They serve as stall indicators...
Old 12-24-10, 12:02 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12767 Post(s)
Liked 7,680 Times in 4,076 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
A chain that drops inside of the cogset will often destroy half of the drive side spokes. A dork disc can often save them all in such an occurrence.

edit: wow, I'm really typing slowly this morning. I better make coffee.
Old 12-24-10, 12:04 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just got a warranty replacement wheel from Trek, a Bontrager SS Aero. It came with the plastic disk. I have my LBS perform annual maintenance on the bike (2006 Trek 1500) every year. I have had problems with the rear wheels (the wheel would start to crack and break in the holes where the spoke nipples come thru; this is my 4th wheel). There were marks on the spokes of the last wheel where the chain was being shifted into them. The chain never came off, but was hitting the spokes. This year I may need a new cassette (or at least a few new cogs). I may remove the disk then.
Old 12-24-10, 12:38 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by az_cyclist
I just got a warranty replacement wheel from Trek, a Bontrager SS Aero. It came with the plastic disk. I have my LBS perform annual maintenance on the bike (2006 Trek 1500) every year. I have had problems with the rear wheels (the wheel would start to crack and break in the holes where the spoke nipples come thru; this is my 4th wheel). There were marks on the spokes of the last wheel where the chain was being shifted into them. The chain never came off, but was hitting the spokes. This year I may need a new cassette (or at least a few new cogs). I may remove the disk then.
So... if you bought your bike in '06 and are just now needing a new cassette you aren't riding that much and you have gone through 3 back wheels and are working on a 4th.

I see a problem here.

If the chain is hitting the spokes this means that the LBS is not doing a very good job of tuning up your bike... these wheels will not survive anything that damages the spokes as as soon as you de-tension one the opposing spokes are going to pull that rim offline.

If the bike is properly tuned up the chain should never hit the spokes unless you bend the derailleur... this is where the dork disc can save you.

If this happens again or you find the chain hitting the spokes do not pass go and head straight to the LBS and raise hell... I'd be asking for better wheels and a mechanic who has a clue.
Old 12-24-10, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg

I don't really think there is such a thing as a group specific dork disk.
BD, you're taking me way to serious (but I did need to adjust the rear DR) Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-10, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by oldride
I don't have DDs on my road bikes but I do leave it on my touring bike. If a rear pannier came loose and pushed (flexed)the RD inward the DD may prevent a broken RD and spokes. My bikes are very well maintained but the extra insurance is good to have on my touring bike.
I never really had thought about that. I took the one off my Trek 520 years ago but noticed it in the bottom of a box just the other day.
Old 12-24-10, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Think of them as a condom for you spokes. They can now engage in safe (wheel) flex.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.