Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Any experiences with Giant Revive bikes? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/70296-any-experiences-giant-revive-bikes.html)

HiYoSilver 10-13-04 10:35 AM

Any experiences with Giant Revive bikes?

Wife has had knee replacement surgery so full motion is not possible. We have a Revive on order. She did ride it on a trainer in the store, but only for a couple of revolutions.

You know it is too embarrassing to ride on a trainer in the store, right?

Ok, anyone have any experiences with these bikes?

1. how well will it work for someone with limited leg extension?

2. can you put something on the back to carry a little doggie to the park?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Huff

HiYoSilver 10-14-04 09:48 PM

Answer to question 1: we'll have to see.

Road bike about 15 feet, it doesn't feel like a regular bike. It is more like a cross between
a hot wheels and bike. Very very easy to pedal. We got 2 minutes of work out on it without
any problems, even though full leg extensions is still not available. Hint to those who are going for knee replacement: it is essential to push during the first 30 days of physical therapy.

Question 2 was answered at LBS, safer to put front rank on bike. First things first. We'll see where we are after 30 days. This weekend will be our first chance to try out the bike.

Huff

HiYoSilver 10-16-04 01:23 PM

Rode this thing around the block. It is not really like a big wheel, unless you want that experience by putting the handlebars way back. Since it has a long wheelbase it doesn't turn sharply, but still is a decent ride. Your legs don't pump up and down like a regular bike, but are at a relaxed angle like when you sit on a chair and yet they are not high like they would be for a recumbent.

Interesting bike, not for me, but good for those which knee/leg problems.

Huff

guardrail 10-18-04 09:17 AM

I've had mine since January - back problem forced me off my mountain bike.

After upgrading my Revive to 2" Maxxis Hookworms, an 11-32 rear cassette and matching derailuer, I finally got the off road opportunity on Sat 10/16 at the Galax, Va Fall Calors Ride on the New River Trail.

The bike did very well. Trail is Rails to Trails style gravel and was wet - if fact it was 50F and drizzle until nearly noon. 17 miles in 2:25. With the last 10 miles in sunny very windy weather.

Many many people were interested in how welll the bike did, wanted to try it around town in Fries at the end of the ride etc. I could have given away 50 brochures if I'd had them and I don't even sell bikes.

The tires and gearing are a must. The gearing is now std on the 04 model.

One other lesson learned - the Revive does not go well on to any conventional bike carrier. If you plan to shuttle somewhere think ahead. We wound up strapping mine onto a spare tire mounted Yakima carrier flat.

Get the std model and get the 04 with the 11-34 rear cassette.

They are strange to ride, even after 200 miles. I'm still trying diferent return springs under the frame front to get better return to center behavior.

HiYoSilver 10-18-04 10:52 AM

Guardrail,

Thanks for the info. If I am reading your post correctly, I should anticipate problems with any standard 3 bike carrier. This does make sense, I may have to figure out some adapters.

We got a 04/05 so I think the gearing will be ok. Right now it is on a trainer as wife is working trying to get knees in shape for a ride. I think once she gets a bit of strength and stretching out of those tendons, it will be "let's go for a bike ride" almost every weekend.

We have a sports car so it will be a challenge finding some good carrying system.

I just checked giant website, and I didn't see info about gearing. But looking ahead, I wonder after the 1,200 miles how hard it will be to replace the chain. Definitely down the road a bit, but
is a very unique bike. Everyone who sees it does a double take.

Huff

HiYoSilver 10-19-04 08:21 AM

Guardrail,

Again thanks for your comments. I was going to get a normal bike rack, but after reviewing the options, I have ordered a cargo carrier with bike extensions. This way the the carrier holds the Revive. Now after it gets here and I install the hitch, I will have to figure out some method of securing the Revive to the bike bars, but at least the weight will be carried by the carrier. The length of the carrier allows a 56" wheelbase. The Revive will just barely fit. This is a draw type class 1 carrier, i.e., lightest, only can carry 200 lbs. Thus the max I can carry is 2 bikes and the carrier, but that's fine. I went with Draw Tite because they 1- have a model for my sports car so I can count on it fitting, and 2- have a locking pin. Most of the others just have a pin. So what's the point of locking the bike(s) to a bike rack if someone can just walk off with the entire rack?

Huff

dustys 10-23-04 03:57 PM

Huffypuffy, I got the Revive for my wife several weeks ago and there are several responses to my request for information and my reactions to riding the bike on the Recreational and Family Forum on this web site. Have a read over there. The more we ride it the more we like it. Upright head position and no body weight on the shoulders. Much better for sightseeing. No neck pains but more pedaling and less coasting.

HiYoSilver 10-25-04 08:26 AM

Ok, I'll look there.

I had to chance the carrier as it would not work with the Revive. Going to go either with sportworks rack or settle for cheaper Performance rack. I'm going to see if I can find a sportworks I can check out. The performance rack has 4 sliding tubes and it is easy for them to fall off the ends.

Huff