Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I am Karl - Slayer of Escalades!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 07:06 PM
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was behind an Escalade this morning in a left turn lane waiting for the light to change. The light changed, the Caddy started to turn, I put my weight on the pedal and took off behind her and the driver slams on the brakes as the rear wheels cleared the crosswalk! I grabbed for the brakes but still barely bumped the back of the Escalade. Then, the driver puts the thing in REVERSE! As she backs up onto my front tire, I pounded on the back glass. She stopped the car, got out and walked around to see if I was hurt. I was fine, and pulled the front tire out from the bumper. The front tire was cut just a bit, but the wheel spun true.
The lady started gushing that it was all her fault, that she was going straight through and started moving when the light changed, but her wheels were turned to the left and she was in the left turn lane! Anyway, I showed her the 1-1/2" crease in the bumper of her Escalade and she decides to call the cops.
I tell her to go ahead and turn left through the light, and pull in the bank parking lot so we can talk to the law, and she gets in the caddy and pulls out in front of traffic and goes straight through the light that she already knew she was in the turn lane of!!
I figure I'm screwed, because as far as I know, if you hit someone from the rear in this state, it's your fault - period.
So the cop shows up, reinforces that it's the woman's fault, and tells her he will write it up if she REALLY wants it on her insurance. She calls the hubby, he tells her to forget it and be glad I'm not hurt, and I ride off with a small abrasion on my front tire and she will have to pay (I guess) $1000 - $1500 to get a bumper for the Escalade if hubby decides to fix it!
Ha! Feel the sting of my 30 year old Araya rim and despair, foul Caddy SUV!
Old 12-22-10, 07:08 PM
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did I mention this officer is DEFINITELY on my Christmas card list for next year?
Old 12-22-10, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You da man, weevil. Start taking down the Hummers next.
Old 12-22-10, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by seenoweevil
Did I mention this officer is DEFINITELY on my Christmas card list for next year?
I think that cop should be cloned and distributed throughout the land. Quite a twofer: an SUV driver who will acknowledge fault and a cop who doesn't automatically blame the cyclist. If they come in threes, buy a lottery ticket.
Old 12-22-10, 08:18 PM

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I think that cop should be cloned and distributed throughout the land. Quite a twofer: an SUV driver who will acknowledge fault and a cop who doesn't automatically blame the cyclist. If they come in threes, buy a lottery ticket.
Ain't that the truth!

Good for you seenoweevil!
Old 12-22-10, 09:18 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WTG Karl What brand do you have your sights on next?

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 12-22-10, 09:30 PM
invisible friend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
WTG Karl What brand do you have your sights on next?
Maybe I'd better try that lottery ticket first! One funny thing - It just seems to fit that I was on the Takara - my "lucky" bike I bought in Watkins Glen! Ha!
Old 12-23-10, 11:03 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank goodness you weren't hurt!

I appreciate the irony of a bicycle winning a contact duel with a truck and can't help but chuckle a little, but the grinch in me feels a bit differently. Deep down inside I can't help but wonder why she was driving a vehicle as big as an Escalade. Is it because the driving behavior you witnessed is the norm for her? I have heard many discussions where a family member is driving a monster sized vehicle because of their propensity to bend fenders and that scares the crap out of me. I detest those who attempt protect a bad driver by buying them a big vehicle as it just puts the rest of the world in peril!!

On the brighter side, you have a great story of bike beats truck. You are not financially or physically injured. The Escalade owners probably won't even blink at the repair bill as I imagine anyone who drives a Luxury Truck has the financial ability to easily absorb such things.

Thanks for sharing a tale with a happy ending. Enjoy the Holidays!!
Old 12-23-10, 11:23 AM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
I figure I'm screwed, because as far as I know, if you hit someone from the rear in this state, it's your fault - period.
This can't be true... certainly a higher burden of proof but but FGS the lady backed into you.

I hate that people can do this kind of crap and it doesn't show up on their driving record or insurance... shouldn't be a huge impact maybe, but it should be recorded.
Old 12-23-10, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I don't know about you guys but when I'm viewing this thread the banner ad at the top of the page is for an Escalade!!!
Old 12-23-10, 12:13 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hmm, I don't ride or stop directly behind a car in a turn lane, I'm off to the right side a bit incase I need to avoid an incident while avoiding pinch points.
Old 12-23-10, 01:50 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I hate that people can do this kind of crap and it doesn't show up on their driving record or insurance... shouldn't be a huge impact maybe, but it should be recorded.
+1
What are we celebrating here, that the lady got away with hitting a cyclist?
Old 12-23-10, 02:54 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
I don't know about you guys but when I'm viewing this thread the banner ad at the top of the page is for an Escalade!!!
Mine's a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid.
Old 12-23-10, 03:20 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Mine too. It's pretty funny.

I shudder to think what might have appeared if the OP's title was "I was just screwed". I might have to start a thread with that title just for grins.
Old 12-23-10, 03:45 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It is surprising how lightly a bike can get away after hitting cars on occasions. We had a car pull out on us when we were on the tandem once. We hit the front bumper hard and the driver apoligised. Problem was the car hit the wrong tandem. Our front wheel is a Full Downhill spec one and wiped out the flimsy "Plastic" bumper.

And yet on other occasions- Just a touch and a bike can be written off.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-24-10, 09:42 PM
invisible friend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Hmm, I don't ride or stop directly behind a car in a turn lane, I'm off to the right side a bit incase I need to avoid an incident while avoiding pinch points.
I am too Beanz! But she was within an inch of the white line on the right side of the lane. I took the lane behind her but on the right side tire track. Didn't matter as I'd just pushed off when she slammed on the brakes.
Old 12-24-10, 09:44 PM
invisible friend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
+1
What are we celebrating here, that the lady got away with hitting a cyclist?
I hit her first before she backed up on me. Not really celebrating Dawg, just appreciating a little irony here for a change!
Old 12-24-10, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Karl, that Takara has been nothin' but good mojo for you. Be sure to ride it when you go to buy your lottery tickets.

I'm glad you weren't hurt.
Old 12-26-10, 12:50 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I am too Beanz! But she was within an inch of the white line on the right side of the lane. I took the lane behind her but on the right side tire track. Didn't matter as I'd just pushed off when she slammed on the brakes.
Ahhh! Yeah, sometimes stuff just happens even when we do our best to avoid it.