Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

We're just Big Kids, aren't we? What do you want next for your bike?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 05:35 PM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Even if Christmas wasn't just a few days away, I would still be drooling over the next item I want for my bike. Problem is, I've pretty much completely gone through my vintage Xizang mountain bike, and I'm running out of things to buy to upgrade her. I sometimes feel like a little kid - always wanting the next big thing for my bike.

Me, I'm getting a new rear wheel built. I just got the new Shimano XTR disc brake rear hub, and have a 36-hole Mavic 719 rim to get laced together with it. After that, probably a GPS unit. Then maybe a new XTR crankset to replace the older one that's on it now.

I wonder: What is it you guys and gals want next for your bikes? Is there a particular reason you want it? What can you tell us about it?
Old 12-22-10, 05:48 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I wonder: What is it you guys and gals want next for your bikes? Is there a particular reason you want it? What can you tell us about it?
I want a new motor. The old motor is 71 years old, and highly outdated. Many of the parts are wearing out, and despite expensive repairs, they still ache and groan and don't work anything like they did when they were just 15 or 20 years old. Even the replacement parts for the old motor don't always fit or provide full power. Sometimes the engine knocks, and I do believe the fuel injector is taking in too much fuel as the motor seems to be heavier than it used to be. Also, the exhaust system and fuel drain don't work nearly as well as in the past.

Santa - can you help me?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-22-10 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-22-10, 05:51 PM

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My existing bikes are pretty well equipped, but I'll take this in the spirit of a Big Kid (and I'm kid sized anyway):

I want a minivelo (or even a folder), just because they look fun and would be handy for the days when I multimode it with bike and bus.
Old 12-22-10, 06:04 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
1. White bar tape for my BA. It would look really spiffy.
2. I'd like to try a bent. I have the gut and beard and everything.
3. I'm with DF - I could use a new motor.
Old 12-22-10, 06:08 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm always looking for my next bike. I need to sell a couple first though or my wife will make me sleep with them in the garage. I was looking at a Cervelo P3 and a Transition today... but then a set of Zipp 404 tubulars caught my eye. I had to leave before I got into trouble.
Old 12-22-10, 06:49 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I'm always looking for my next bike. I need to sell a couple first though or my wife will make me sleep with them in the garage. I was looking at a Cervelo P3 and a Transition today... but then a set of Zipp 404 tubulars caught my eye. I had to leave before I got into trouble.

TTs???

I had a shop place a call to Zipp for a quote on a front disc. That is just wrong.
Old 12-22-10, 06:55 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes

TTs???

I had a shop place a call to Zipp for a quote on a front disc. That is just wrong.
I've wanted to do the TT series at the Charlotte Motor Speedway that jppe helps with. I did one race there a couple years ago and always wanted to go back. The 3 hour drive each way tends to be problematic though. I had a Transition ordered before that race but they had just come out and all the SoCal dudes stole the available stock. I couldn't get one. I could get one now though. lol
Old 12-22-10, 06:59 PM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I want a new motor. The old motor is 71 years old, and highly outdated. Many of the parts are wearing out, and despite expensive repairs, they still ache and groan and don't work anything like they did when they were just 15 or 20 years old. Even the replacement parts for the old motor don't always fit or provide full power. Sometimes the engine knocks, and I do believe the fuel injector is taking in too much fuel as the motor seems to be heavier than it used to be. Also, the exhaust system and fuel drain don't work nearly as well as in the past.

Santa - can you help me?
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
1. White bar tape for my BA. It would look really spiffy.
2. I'd like to try a bent. I have the gut and beard and everything.
3. I'm with DF - I could use a new motor.
Has a good endorsement.

Old 12-22-10, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Santa - can you help me?
That was great. I hope Santa gives you as much joy as your post gave me.
Old 12-22-10, 07:45 PM

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ortleib front roller bags and a matching handlebar bag.
So I can tour off-road next summer.
Old 12-22-10, 08:04 PM

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think my mountain bike needs a new road bike to keep it company when I'm at work.
Old 12-22-10, 08:20 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps we could get a price discount if we teamed with Denver and made a quantity buy. Looks like 3 or 4 others are up for he same request.
Old 12-22-10, 08:23 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Got my Christmas (and birthday and fathers day and anniversary and ..... ) present today.
--> https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread....can-I-keep-it

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-22-10, 08:26 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kjc9640
Perhaps we could get a price discount if we teamed with Denver and made a quantity buy. Looks like 3 or 4 others are up for he same request.
Ya think if we all got together and placed a big order we could get a discount on new motors? I could use one too!

Rick / OCRR
Old 12-22-10, 09:11 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My power tap wheel set is being built this month. My wife only knows that "its a special computer for the wheels". I tried to explain but decided that if she had no interest in the new equipment then she didn't need to know what it cost.
Old 12-22-10, 09:18 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Ya think if we all got together and placed a big order we could get a discount on new motors? I could use one too!

Rick / OCRR
We need to check with Curtis - he is great at big orders. Maybe our new motors could have 50+ stamped on them?
Old 12-22-10, 09:40 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
My power tap wheel set is being built this month. My wife only knows that "its a special computer for the wheels". I tried to explain but decided that if she had no interest in the new equipment then she didn't need to know what it cost.
What did you get? Which hub and rim? Spokes?
Old 12-22-10, 10:19 PM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I think you are going to love the PT. I would be lost without mine. It will take you to another level in your training. I predict significantly more suffering on the horizon.
Old 12-22-10, 10:35 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I think you are going to love the PT. I would be lost without mine. It will take you to another level in your training. I predict significantly more suffering on the horizon.
I'm thinking of getting a wireless version to go with the Garmin. I have a wired SL Open Pro that has been great.
Old 12-23-10, 07:44 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
That was great. I hope Santa gives you as much joy as your post gave me.
Old 12-23-10, 07:52 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Rear rack and fenders for Notung. A Bike Forums poster is sending me them as a Christmas gift.

Old 12-23-10, 08:07 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
What did you get? Which hub and rim? Spokes?
After much deliberation and consideration I went with Psimet's. I have Williams carbon tubular 58's that I use for racing. I don't have a team sponsorship, so Zipp's were out of the question. I was looking for a good all-around training wheel that I could also race in the Tuesday Night training races and some of my B - C races. The Pro+ PT will allow me to change the unit between bikes fairly easily. The wheel package includes:

Front=White Ind. H2 F Silver hub laced to a Kinlin XR-300 rim 24f/2X using DT-Comp-Black spokes and DT-12mm-Brass-Silver nipples

Rear=Pro + hub with Shimano freehub body laced to a Kinlin XR-300 rim 28r/2X using DT-Comp-Black spokes on the Drive Side and laced 2X using DT-Comp-Black spokes on the Non-Drive Side and DT-12mm-Brass-Silver nipples
With electropack

Hermes: this next season should be very interesting learning how to train with the PT. In addition to training with power my coach moved my training blocks up to his “elite level” and I’ll be more focused on crits and circuit races as they seem to be my strengths. That could mean some shorter but harder workouts.
Old 12-23-10, 08:16 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
With a brand new bike in the house, there are plenty of little things to add or change. New Salsa stem and Ultegra SPD-SL pedals should be at the LBS tomorrow. I still need bottle cages, seat bag, inflator, mirror...and the list goes on. Mostly I need a few nice days during the break from work.
Old 12-23-10, 08:16 AM
Banned.

I don't have a team sponsorship,
Have you checked with AARP?
Old 12-23-10, 08:29 AM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Santa - can you help me?
I've never had a problem with the exhaust system. It works too well some time. I have one of those loud, throaty, tuned exhaust systems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.