Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Ungainly Mounts/Dismounts, Falls, Fit, Efficiency, and Age (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/706119-ungainly-mounts-dismounts-falls-fit-efficiency-age.html)

Nightshade 01-11-11 04:20 PM

With all due respect to all who posted their personal opinions & experiences I still strongly recommend a "layback" seat post like I suggested earlier since , when properly installed, the issue of mounting to ride instantly becomes a non-issue. I was dumbfounded the first time I mounted my new bike (with layback installed) at how easy it was ,along with how much better I felt, that now my feet were on the ground with no tip toe or dancing to stay upright.

Due to my arthritis mounting the old "cowboy way" of just throwing a leg over the saddle and go is just impossible and painful , and at times embarrassing, which the "layback" seat post now has resolved.

rdtompki 01-11-11 07:39 PM

Meanwhile, none of us responders really understand the OP's original problem

Bionicycle 01-11-11 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by rdtompki (Post 12063778)
Meanwhile, none of us responders really understand the OP's original problem

I don't but the OP seemed happy with the responses, so who am I to complain... :)

BlazingPedals 01-11-11 08:11 PM

You'd have to set the seat back quite a bit in order to convert a bike to a flat-foot bike. Crank-forward bikes like RANS move the back wheel further back to accommodate the altered weight distribution. Anyway, I still think this is a technique issue. On most upright bikes you're not supposed to reach the ground while still on the saddle.

Nightshade 01-11-11 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 12063960)
You'd have to set the seat back quite a bit in order to convert a bike to a flat-foot bike.

Not really. I have a 2.5" set back that works perfectly for me.

scottogo 01-11-11 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rans makes crank forward bicycles that perform very well and you still get to put your feet on the ground.
The Zenetik Road is very nice.

http://www.ransbikes.com/ZenetikRoad.htm

COMPONENTS

Frame Tig Welded 7005 Aluminum (imported)

Fork RANS 700 Carbon Road Fork 1 1/8”
Headset Ritchey Logic Thread less 1 1/8” w/ Headset Adjuster

Bottom Bracket Truvativ

Crankset
Truvativ Rouleur 52/39/30

Cassette SRAM 970 11/32 9-Speed

Chain KMC X9

Front Derailleur RANS

Rear Derailleur SRAM X9

F/R Shifters SRAM X9 Twister 9-Speed

Handlebar RANS Flat Bar

Riser RANS Mid 5” Forged

Brakes Tektro R580

Brake Levers Cane Creek

Seat RANS Q.R./Carbon with Trac-Loc w/ Scale
F/R Wheels Vuelta Zerolite 700c

F/R Tires Continental Ultra Sport 700 x 23

Pedals N/A

SPECIFICATIONS
Gear Inches 25.3-127.6

Size Std- 29 to 37” inseam Sm- 27.5 to 35.5” inseam
Wheelbase 49.5”

Overall Length 79”

Bike Weight 22.6 lbs.

Weight Limit 275 lbs.

Colors Corvette Red, or Charcoal

MSRP $1,995.00

Nightshade 01-11-11 10:37 PM

A layback seat post will cost , at most, $25 dollars and have the same seating geometry as the $1995.00 Rans. So that means you can use all the same components you're used to and have already paid for!

seedsbelize 01-13-11 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 12057622)
I can and frequently do touch the tip of a toe on the ground to support the bike while still seated on the saddle. It is not the most stable position, but very sufficient for stopping at traffic lights etc. in most situations. And yes, my saddle is at the proper height.

Just this morning, I noticed that I too can put a toe down while seated. Never noticed it before reading this discussion. Of course the other pedal is high.

Road Fan 01-14-11 05:27 AM

I wonder if it's a pedal issue? Billy, is it that you can't get your foot out of the pedal fast enough to use it to land on when you stop?