Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   What Kind of Bike is Not Relevant (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/706777-what-kind-bike-not-relevant.html)

NOS88 01-13-11 12:04 PM

What Kind of Bike is Not Relevant

Some of you who frequent the Road Forum may have already seen this, but Martyn Ashton makes the question, "What kind of bike should I get?" seem a bit lame. It's a fun video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU

lee kenney 01-13-11 12:34 PM

and old mtb video, mammoth mt. kamikaze downhill. competitor on coaster brake cruiser. his words ,A TRUE KAMIKAZE will ride anything ! its not about the bike,irecall hearing

StephenH 01-13-11 12:45 PM

I learned long ago in photography that all the good photographers said "the camera doesn't matter!" but they all seemed to own $20,000 worth of camera gear, too. Pretty similar with bicycling.

On that video, I'm wondering if they went through multiple wheels or bikes to make it, too...the way the old General Lee was actually 30 different cars in rotation due being torn up on stunts.

Rick@OCRR 01-13-11 12:54 PM

Amazing riding, and on a road bike too . . . not even a trials bike! Excellent video work too.

Rick / OCRR

ThatBritBloke 01-13-11 01:18 PM

Reminds me of my old commute ... especially the bit on the slab rock in the Avon Gorge.

In this one Danny MacAskill cycles along the top of an iron pailing fence amongst other things.

Oh to be young again ...

stapfam 01-13-11 03:04 PM

Seen Martyn perform but not on a Road bike- his skills are unbelievable but you have to Realise that they have skills that mere mortals do not have. And sponsors- and No brains.

JanMM 01-13-11 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by StephenH (Post 12072018)
I learned long ago in photography that all the good photographers said "the camera doesn't matter!" but they all seemed to own $20,000 worth of camera gear, too. Pretty similar with bicycling.

On that video, I'm wondering if they went through multiple wheels or bikes to make it, too...the way the old General Lee was actually 30 different cars in rotation due being torn up on stunts.

Thanks for completely ruining The Dukes of Hazard for me!

NOS88 01-13-11 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 12073277)
Thanks for completely ruining The Dukes of Hazard for me!

No! Say it ain't so!

cyclinfool 01-13-11 07:37 PM

Silly rabbit - tricks are for kids

BluesDawg 01-13-11 07:44 PM

speechless

TomD77 01-13-11 09:00 PM

I learned long ago in photography that all the good photographers said "the camera doesn't matter!" but they all seemed to own $20,000 worth of camera gear, too.

The camera body may not matter all that much but the lenses sure do and that's where most of the $20K is.

billydonn 01-13-11 09:43 PM

....snip......the way the old General Lee was actually 30 different cars in rotation due being torn up on stunts.

WTF? That CANNOT be true because Cooter did not have enough room in the garage for all those cars!!! :lol:

Cone Wrench 01-14-11 10:10 AM

Everyone knows a bike is not an elephant.

What?

George 01-14-11 11:12 AM

I wonder what kind of wheels he was using.

BlazingPedals 01-14-11 01:59 PM

If you're going to make a habit of riding like that, the bike you get should be cheap above all. That way you can afford to replace it often.

Rick@OCRR 01-14-11 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by billydonn (Post 12074441)
WTF? That CANNOT be true because Cooter did not have enough room in the garage for all those cars!!! :lol:

True billydonn, Cooter did have a rather small garage, but I remember on some studio tour (Universal probably, but not sure), back in the late 70's, they showed us the whole line of General Lees in an studio parking lot (some obviously a lot worse for the wear), so the count of 30 doesn't seem out of line.

Rick / OCRR

The Weak Link 01-14-11 03:56 PM

Wicked sick. Hope he's using Gatorskins.

NOS88 01-14-11 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by George (Post 12076433)
I wonder what kind of wheels he was using.

I did a few freeze frames during the video and I believe they are Mavic Kysrium Equipe with Conti 4000 tires.

The thing that got me about the video is that in more ways than Armstrong ever imagined, it's not about the bike. It really is about what you do with the bike.

StephenH 01-29-11 08:06 PM

Here's one that was posted on another forum that I liked, to prove you don't need a fancy carbon road bike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfotoPtvutI

FunkyStickman 01-29-11 08:54 PM

I love making people go "What the...?" and it looks like these guys do too.

RunningPirate 01-29-11 08:55 PM

...the way the old General Lee was actually 30 different cars in rotation due being torn up on stunts.

Easy there, big shifter...you're wading into some serious blasphemy, right there. 30 General Lee's...indeed. There is and always shall be one General Lee. ...and Catherine Bach hasn't aged a bit, either...

OK - back to Lee Kenney's response. Years ago, I was at a shop that specialized in ski boats (e.g. Ski Nautique). The person I was dealing with informed me that there are people that simply refuse to ski behind anything except a Nautique (a competition ski boat, for those that are not familiar). My response: Then they're really not that into skiing, are they?

Snobbery is everywhere, but if you like to do something (be it ski, or golf, or ride or take pictures) you'll do it however you can, regardless of equipment.

tcs 01-30-11 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 12078538)
The thing that got me about the video is that in more ways than Armstrong ever imagined, it's not about the bike.

Armstrong - (in)famously fussy about his equipment, BTW.

Video explained:
http://comics.com/bc/2011-01-27/