Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   new low! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/708507-new-low.html)

rck 01-21-11 01:11 PM

new low!

T'was sitting at "Bummies" this A.M. drinking coffeee and telling lies (I love retirement!)when one of the guys made a crack about biking in the cold. As it was -8 when I walked downtown, I just snorted and had another cup of coffee. Of course by the time I left I had a pretty goood coffee buzz going particularly as I've been cutting way back. So what to do with all this energy? 5 layers later, out the door we went, the c-dale and I. 10 miles later we were back and the temp had risen up to -2 it being -4 when we started. My previous coldest ride was +7.

The cold aside, it's a beautiful day, the sun is out and there's no wind to speak of and that doesn't happen very often. Would I do it on a regular basis, no way, and more power to those that do. On the other hand...

Allegheny Jet 01-21-11 01:23 PM

That's a cold ride! I don't think I've been out under 10 degrees.

I remember back while running track in college the coach would make the distance guys to wear sweat pants and gloves when the temps got below 15. Us sprinters had so much on we could barley move, the coach didn't need to remind us to dress warmly.:D

BikeWNC 01-21-11 01:24 PM

Hey I plan to get out on the road tomorrow for a good ride in temps in the upper 30s. The roads are finally clear enough for a safe ride. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Rick@OCRR 01-21-11 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by BikeWNC (Post 12110397)
Desperate times call for desperate measures, i.e. another vacation to SoCal.

GMR/GRR, Angeles Crest, Hwy 39, Mt. Wilson, Mt. Palomar . . . they're all waiting for you here!

Rick / OCRR

BikeWNC 01-21-11 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 12111129)
GMR/GRR, Angeles Crest, Hwy 39, Mt. Wilson, Mt. Palomar . . . they're all waiting for you here!

Rick / OCRR

Arrgh! Stop.It.Now. lol

NOS88 01-21-11 04:53 PM

Yeah, that's cold. The "there was no wind to speak of" must have made a big difference. Anything below 10F with wind, I can't seem to put enough layers on to keep warm for more than an hour.

overthehillmedi 01-21-11 04:56 PM

Fahrenheit or Celsius? Makes a bit of a difference to some of us.

NOS88 01-21-11 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by overthehillmedi (Post 12111583)
Fahrenheit or Celsius? Makes a bit of a difference to some of us.

The OP is from Wisconsin, so, it's most likely Fahrenheit. Minus 4 degrees Celsius isn't all that cold and sure wouldn't be a new low for a winter rider in Wisconsin.

JanMM 01-21-11 05:47 PM

Some of you guys are animals.
It was almost too cold to drive to work this morning. (0 F)

xtrajack 01-21-11 06:24 PM

My personal best for a low is -4F. Sunday night when I go back to work, they are predicting temps in the -15F range. I am pleasantly surprised how little clothing I need for the cold temps.

BluesDawg 01-21-11 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by rck (Post 12110317)
My previous coldest ride was +7.

:eek: I don't think I've ever been in air that cold, let alone ride a bike in it! I don't even like thinking about it. Give me a hot humid July day in Georgia and I can deal with it, but riding a bicycle in really cold weather? Nuh-uh. Call me a wimp.

Phil85207 01-21-11 07:40 PM

I'm with you Blue Dawg. I don't like to ride under 40 degrees. I guess were spoiled, at least I know I am. Arizona desert is just right for me. I can handle the 111 degree heat just fine but the cold hurts my bones.

xtrajack 01-21-11 08:21 PM

I am a native Mainer. I can deal with the cooler temps easier than I can the heat and humidity.

I think that it is a case of it being a matter of what you are used to. I remember when I was in Texas one year for Christmas, I was running around in shorts and a t-shirt in mid to high thirties temperatures, while the folks that lived there thought it was cold. It was the first time in my life that I have worn shorts on Christmas day.

RonH 01-22-11 09:23 AM

I'm like BD. I rode to work several years ago when it was 18F (-8C). Did that once!! Decided that my limit back then was hi 20s (-2C). Now that I'm retired my limit is 38F (3C) and when its that cold at the start of my ride I have to think really hard about riding. :o
I'll take a warm (hi 80s to mid 90s [30-35C]) sunny day anytime. :beer:

rdtompki 01-22-11 09:49 AM

40+ sounds good to me. Maybe a few degrees colder at the start. It doesn't seem right to hold a contest for which those of us in warmer climes are ineligible.

rck 01-22-11 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 12111608)
The OP is from Wisconsin, so, it's most likely Fahrenheit. Minus 4 degrees Celsius isn't all that cold and sure wouldn't be a new low for a winter rider in Wisconsin.

That is correct.

If there had been any wind I would have either not ridden or just gone around the block in order to earn bragging rights. Truth be told, the only thing that kept me from going longer, was the fact that my hands and toes started to chill. Those are issues that I could have dealt with easily. Well that and the fact that as I've not ridden much of late my legs are hardly in any shape to do anything longer.

It was really quite exhilarating. The combination of caffiene, sunlight, and being on the bike made it an experience worth repeating-sometime. Heck, todays temp is up to +12(f). If it wasn't for the snow we got last night, the roads are way too slippery now, I would calll Skipper and drag him out of his winter cave!

seedsbelize 01-26-11 08:55 PM

I put on an extra layer when it drops below 80, after 9 years in the tropics. 110 doesn't bother me anymore. -2? No thanks.

downtube42 01-26-11 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 12111844)
Some of you guys are animals.
It was almost too cold to drive to work this morning. (0 F)

I'm colder driving to work than riding even when it's 0 F. My body's heater warms up faster than my car's. Helps that my commute is only 8 minutes long.

Kurt Erlenbach 01-26-11 09:08 PM

56 today when I got home today, so I rode on the trainer. I am a wimp.

George 01-26-11 09:14 PM

I'm sure glad I moved south. I worked outside most of my life and I'm pretty tired of cold.

doctor j 01-26-11 09:44 PM

rck, congratulations on the new low! You're a tough guy to ride in those temps.

I looked back through my bike books, 3 x 5 spiral notebooks, and the lowest starting temperature for a ride I have recorded was 17.6 F ambient with a 5 F windchill. When it gets that low, I look and feel like the Michelin Man. It's hard to pedal against all those layers, and as another has noted, it's hard to stay out for more than an hour.

I'll take the heat and humidity over having to ride all bundled up.

rck 01-27-11 10:49 AM

Thinking of extremes of temps-I remember that the day I left RVN it was around 100(f). I got off of the plane 60 hours later in Green Bay and with the wind chill, it was minus 75. I darn near got back on and said send me back!

xtrajack 01-30-11 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by downtube42 (Post 12138002)
I'm colder driving to work than riding even when it's 0 F. My body's heater warms up faster than my car's. Helps that my commute is only 8 minutes long.

That is how it works out in my corner of the "verse too.