Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

N+1 or Week of Training Camp??? Help me make the call...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 07:32 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, earlier, for Christmas, I was given a hall pass to travel out west again to ride PAC Tour sometime in March or April of this year. Before deciding what week to ride, my wife was diagnosed with torn right and left tendons on her elbows, requiring surgery to repair both. The process requires about 6 weeks total from surgery to full recovery, and the plan is to do them back to back. Surgery #1 was last Friday. As a result, my home responsibilities have jumped pretty dramatically, especially acting as Mr. Mom & Dad to our twin girls (almost 15). Wife still thinks I can go in April, but I'm a little doubtful.

The complication arises due to an offer by one of the LBS shops I patronize. One of the owners "volunteered" to put me in a new Merckx EMX 5 frame at a pretty good price. I can likely put N+1 together for close to the same all in cost as the trip. The Boss has given it the green light for me to go either way.

Opinions?
Old 01-24-11, 07:43 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
It would be an easy choice for me, even without the unexpected turn of events. But you're not me.
Old 01-25-11, 11:27 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry but the one thing I picked up on was

"especially acting as Mr. Mom & Dad to our twin girls (almost 15)."

The other choice though is difficult- but if that training camp is what you want--Retrain the Twins to look after Mom and themselves to make certain you have the time to do it with a clear conscience.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-25-11, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Assuming that your "family issues" work out, I'd go for the training camp every time - the experience would far outweigh any hardware acquisition. But that's just me. Rides > bikes.

SP
Bend, OR
Old 01-25-11, 03:48 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should take that money and treat your wife to a nice vacation. Eat a lot, get fat, and then maybe I could finish within an hour of you on the next mountain century.
Old 01-25-11, 05:59 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
If it was me, I would...

...Stay home and train during the week in addition to your normal routine. Take one day off a week to ride hard for 5 hours and then help at home during the week as needed.
Old 01-25-11, 06:18 PM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I think you should take that money and treat your wife to a nice vacation. Eat a lot, get fat, and then maybe I could finish within an hour of you on the next mountain century.
I could not agree more. When life serves up challenges to us, we have to answer them in the best interests of all affected. You have a great family, and they want you to be happy, but it's you that has to decide what is best for the entire family. There will always be time to train, places to go, and money to buy N+1. Time with family won't be forever though.

Having said that, if you were not facing family matters at hand, I would take the N+1 path without thinking twice. But everyone will have a preference.

Last edited by NealH; 01-25-11 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-25-11, 06:22 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Would your rather OWN or DO? Most people regret about the things they didn't do, not about the things they never owned.

Sorry to go philosophical. It would be an easy decision for me but, as my friend the BluesDawg said, you ain't me.
Old 01-25-11, 07:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both, life is short.
Old 01-25-11, 07:56 PM
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
I realize this might be heresy here. But, your bicycle is not your partner in life. Your wife will remember and be grateful that you helped with the parenting and helped her when she was down and out with the surgery aftermath, youngsters can be a handful. When she is better, see what your options are at that time.
Old 01-25-11, 07:58 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Take your twin daughters for a short vacation over spring break and get out of mom's hair for awhile. She'll appreciate the break.
Old 01-25-11, 08:23 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
With me, family - in all its dimensions - comes first, way ahead of anything else. I know that wasn't the question you asked, but that would be my answer. But, as BD and others have said, I ain't you!!
Old 01-27-11, 07:18 PM

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To all of you who were kind enough to opine, Thanks! I hoped it was clear by the "...but I have my doubts." comment, that I'm not gunned up to leave my family high and dry. My first choice (and intention) would be to have the "experience" of training camp again, and had the surgery and resulting need to change and adapt occur, the choice would have already been made. The N+1 opportunity is only recent, and had I not had to postpone / cancel my plans, I'd never even considered another bike. In 2008, the financial crisis caused me to cancel a scheduled trip to PAC for the first time. It's not like I haven't been here before. Keep those cards & letters coming, still pondering here.
Old 01-27-11, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aww, too bad about your wife. Best wishes to her.

Are you able to hold off making the PAC Tour decision for another week or two? See how your wife's recovery is progressing from the first surgery. Then you and she will have a general idea of how long you'll need to be around after the second surgery. She will need to let you know whether she thinks she can manage without you or not. Six weeks post-op is a long time, so barring complications, I think mid-April should be do-able. I hope it works out for you.

There will always be a tempting "bargain" somewhere, but do you really want to buy when you're not ready?
Old 04-01-11, 03:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK - time to bring everyone up to speed. Surgery was successful, the wife has been discharged from doctor's care.She's gotten enough relief that we may not have to surgically address the left elbow!

Spring break will be spent seeing friends and visiting around the Atlanta area, so the daughters are happy and looking forward to the trip.

Finally, no PAC tour this year, no Merckx. After looking very hard at the geometry, I decided that it wasn't the right choice, head tube too short. I've been fitted before, and the recommended minimum for me is 14 cm. My LBS guy who has since ridden the Merckx frame agreed that it would have been too short for me, he races (and is 20 yrs younger) finds it to be just tall enough for him.

After research (including test rides) and some recommendations from folks (BikeWNC amongnst them), I've decided to go this way:

Shop should have it mid-week next and we'll do the build out then.
Attached Images
Old 04-01-11, 04:44 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle
I realize this might be heresy here. But, your bicycle is not your partner in life. Your wife will remember and be grateful that you helped with the parenting and helped her when she was down and out with the surgery aftermath, youngsters can be a handful. When she is better, see what your options are at that time.
Otherwise, it might be (all together now) "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille .... " Sorry, you have three "L"s!
Old 04-01-11, 04:47 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Ok, so you're doing a BETTER N+1, and taking care of the family.

I like that.
Old 04-01-11, 07:53 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you'll like the bike. You test rode it, so I guess it fit well and felt good too. I can say that the longer wheelbase will really help on the long rides you like to do. Late in the ride you will feel less tired from not having to stay on top of a shorter wheelbase bike. There is something effortless about the way the Roubaix rides and that really pays dividends late in a ride.