Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pittsburgh's Dirty Dozen Video

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-28-11, 09:53 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rode in this in 2009. Was one of 17 50+ riders out of 185. Had some health problems this year and was in no shape to take it on. A 48 year old cyclist named Gunnar Shogren did this on a fixed w/45x22 gearing. He won the race back in the early 90s once.

The vid's about 27 mins long and takes 20 seconds before the advertisement bs is out of the way.

https://www.wqed.org/tv/its-pittsburgh/watch/
Old 01-28-11, 10:37 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 198 Posts
Thanks! That's a really interesting video. I've only seen the Canton Ave clips.

Here, along the Ohio River, we have some 15-18% quarter mile long grades. Those are doable, but need my lowest gears. 30% would be tough.
Old 01-28-11, 06:54 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Thanks! I was thinking about doing it this year, but a series of unfortunate and fortunate events didn't make it possible. One of our spin instructors is from P'burg and has a "Dirty Dozen" class each year in honor of the event. Maybe next year.
Old 01-28-11, 07:11 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have attempted to ride the Dirty Dozen the past 4 years, but life has gotten in the way every time. Maybe next year will be the one. My parents live about 45 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh making it even easier to do the event.
Old 01-28-11, 07:20 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 132 Posts
This video of the event is great fun:

Old 01-28-11, 09:20 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I've seen this clip before. It's from the 2009 DD. I saw myself a couple of times in a some of the 'pack' shots. The city of Pittsburgh warned the organizers not to ride through the Liberty Tunnel this year. They had to go around and over another street called Crain Ave. That didn't even count. It's about a 15% grade.

My friend and I came up from Nashville in 2009 and are doing it again this year. It's a challenging and rewarding event. We've only got a few hills here in Mid-TN that rival anything in Pittsburgh. Fortunately for me I've got 4 20-25% grades within 5 miles of where I live. But, truthfully nothing prepares one for the ride until one does it. Nothing like trying to negotiate a 37% grade on cobble stones followed by a 31% hill that's about a mile w/a switchback.

We were suitably humbled. I got lost at one point(the turn marshall pulled off) and ended up missing a couple of hills, but managed to finish the ride...went back the next day and did the ones I'd missed, but it wasn't the same.
Old 01-29-11, 02:37 PM
kennyc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Un.
Freaking.
Believable.