Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mixing Road and Mountain cycling on the same weekend . . . Not smart (for me, anyway)

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Mixing Road and Mountain cycling on the same weekend . . . Not smart (for me, anyway)

Old 01-30-11, 11:06 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

This last weekend, Jan. 29th and 30th I did a road bike ride on Sat. with Vertical Bob and Friends, then a Mountain Bike ride on Sunday, with Lois and friends. Net result: Totally knackered, everything (pretty much) hurts.

Saturday's ride, Big Tujunga Canyon to Angeles Forest Hwy to Angeles Crest Highway to Newcomb's Ranch for lunch. Here we see the Fast Guys regrouping at Clear Creek rest stop, waiting for the straglers to catch up.

Here is Big John, a frequent contributor to the 50+ forum. I told him this photo would be posted here! Sure looks strong and healthy for an old guy . . .

This is Laura, looking strong and fast as always. I didn't even try to keep up with her this time, and she did the Mount Wilson Observatory climb with T.J. Knight and one other rider (didn't get his name), i.e. a bonus climb I passed on!

Vertical Bob left, Mark right (Channel Islands Club rider, over 50 for sure). Other riders in the background, see next photo:

Here we have a slightly closer up photo of Big John (far left), Molly (middle) and Chris. This is taken on Angeles Crest Hwy, just above Red Box (where we had a re-group and rest stop). Lunch was at Newcombs, and I didn't take any photos there (should have!).

So after all that, 69 miles with 7,300 feet of climbing, I drove home (from Sunland, CA where we started) to eat, rest and get ready for the mountain bike ride on Sunday.

This ride started from Rowland Hts., not too far from Whittier, where we live. The forecast was for rain, but we didn't know when it would hit (different websites didn't agree on this point). From the top of the climb, we could see the rain storm moving in.

We tried to decide how to proceed, and while Lois was getting everyone's votes and opinions, I shot these photos. Here we see Rick (not me) and Roxanne getting out sandwiches and other food items to fuel themselves on the balance of the ride. My bike (white Zaskar) is laying down in the dirt in the foreground.

This is Beni, a very fast and fearless rider who apparently started out quite timid but she has left all that well behind by now.

Here is my friend Dennis, who I talked into joining us on this ride, even though I was the only one he knew here. Rode quite well on his carbon KHS full suspension bike!

Here we see Lois (back to the camera) addressing the troups and getting opinions on where and how to proceed from here. By now it was quite apparent that rain was coming. How soon was open to discussion, but we could see it in the distance.

The final shot was taken just before we mounted up and hit the single track descent. The rain hit us about half way down; quite the downpour at one point. So . . . we took paved roads back to the cars: Janine to West to East to Old Fullerton. I was the slowest on the trail, but the fastest once we hit the road! Guess I'm not a real mountain biker yet.

I drove home (yes, soaking wet) after the mountain bike ride, took long hot shower, then (when my wife got home from her road ride) fixed chicken and 5 cheese ravioli and a couple of salads so we could kind of recover. After lunch (or was that dinner?) we both took a two hour nap! I was so totally used up, hurting, super tired . . . and probably going to think about it before I do a road/mountain weekend again. Mountain ride was 21 miles with 2,800 feet of climbing (some of it quite steep!).

Hopefully I will learn from this experience. At 60, I should have known better.

Rick / OCRR

Use horizontal scroll bar below to see all of the photo(s).

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 01-31-11 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-31-11, 05:19 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Mixing road and MTB riding on a weekend is a good idea. Two demanding rides in a row, whether road, dirt, track or whatever will leave you tired and sore. Maybe that's a bad thing, maybe it's just a thing.
Looks like you had a fun weekend.
Old 01-31-11, 09:16 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It's well worth your pain and suffering to provide BF with the great pictures a witty narrative. Please keep it up.
Old 01-31-11, 10:48 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to share, all of your effort in posting the pics and narrative. Brightened up my day - predicted 25 - 35 below zero F wind chill next couple of days. I did manage to walk to the rec center for a swim and walk back!! Snowing now, and I am playing nurse to my wife during her TKR recovery. So, I had a vicarious ride, instead - from your pics.
Old 01-31-11, 11:28 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah quit your whining! I mix every weekend. Although instead of doing road on Sunday I went and mountain biked Chino Hills... it started out cold and as you know got alittle rainy. Of course the rain started at my farthest point out! Limped back cold, wet, tired and hungry. Good times! Saturday I rode Sylvan Meadows out at Santa Rosa. Now Saturday was a beautiful day for mountain biking!!!

The worse part of Sunday is now I have to spend an evening cleaning up the bike - it's a mess!

BTW strange enough my MTB ride was also 21 miles (well actually 20.6) and 2800' of climbing... talk about coincidence!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 01-31-11, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Nice ride report and photos. I thought the intent of a weekend of mixed riding was to get "knackered".
Old 01-31-11, 12:15 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Back in the day when I used to get involved in Offroad XC Enduros- we used to ride to the local one on the road on the MTB's- do the 50 or 65 mile enduro and then ride back home on the road. Admittedly that only meant 35 miles on the road but we did that on the Saturday. Sunday was try to get out of bed before noon.

Don't fancy doing it now.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-31-11, 06:44 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanks BluesDawg and rdtompki, Glad you liked the photos and my comments.

Denver Fox, I am glad I was able to brighten your day, if only just a little. After all you've been through and all you've done for the 50+ forum, I'm more than happy you enjoyed these photos. I thought it was cold in the rain on the mountain bike ride, but it was toastly compared to what you're dealing with!

Pamestique, I know I can always count on you for a cheery note ("Ah quit your whining!") and a look on the bright side! Hope you can join Lois and the rest of us on one of our mountain bike rides, . . . or, I can join you on one of yours. Lots of trails to explore around here! You may know Lois from the ODC (Out Doors Club)?

NOS88 and Stapfam, Yes, I guess the aim was to get "knackered" and I don't see how Stapfam got out of bed on Sunday at all after a ride and race like that! Makes mine look like peanuts.

I was up at 6:00 AM to get ready for both of these rides, and 5:00AM to get ready for work this morning. Not that I was particularly spunky at work today . . .

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-31-11, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
"Spunky at work"...now there's a phrase I'm gonna have to figure out how to use.
Old 01-31-11, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8052 Post(s)
Liked 8,630 Times in 4,299 Posts
Sure glad to hear that you were tired, too. The guy who went with Laura and TJ is Jason, Hansolo on the other forum.
Channel Islands guy is MarkAJ.
Old 02-01-11, 12:56 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I know it's what you get used to- but you do double century rides that I have never got into and doubt that I could do. The type of ride I do not enjoy is two day riding. I can steel myself for a long hard ride one day- but the 2nd day of riding is hard. I even find gentle recovery rides hard the day after a long ride.

For that reason- I prefer Saturday rides to Sunday ones- gives a full day to recover from the exertion.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-01-11, 01:03 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great ride report. Thanks! But about this comment:

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Here we see the Fast Guys regrouping at Clear Creek rest stop, waiting for the straglers to catch up.
Your fast guys actual regroup and wait for people to catch up ?!?!?
Old 02-01-11, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8052 Post(s)
Liked 8,630 Times in 4,299 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
These rides are social, we always regroup. It's very remote and traffic is light so we wouldn't want to leave anyone alone unless they really made us mad.
Plus, we wouldn't invite someone who we didn't think could handle a tough ride.

Last edited by big john; 02-01-11 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-02-11, 03:59 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
For AZTallRider: What Big John said, yes.

For Stapfam: You too could do double centuries! Just a couple months of double specific training and you'd be good to go, no worries. If you fancy a holiday in California I could ride one of our doubles with you.

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-02-11, 04:32 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
For AZTallRider: What Big John said, yes.

For Stapfam: You too could do double centuries! Just a couple months of double specific training and you'd be good to go, no worries. If you fancy a holiday in California I could ride one of our doubles for you.

Rick / OCRR
Fixed it for you!!
Old 02-02-11, 05:17 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pamestique, I know I can always count on you for a cheery note ("Ah quit your whining!") and a look on the bright side! Hope you can join Lois and the rest of us on one of our mountain bike rides, . . . or, I can join you on one of yours. Lots of trails to explore around here! You may know Lois from the ODC (Out Doors Club)?

Rick / OCRR
No don't know Lois - or I may but don't it know ()

Ah... I would love to join you (or have you join me) but we don't ride in the same circles... you should know that. I happen to be in the slow pokey group... you not so much!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 02-02-11, 10:18 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pamestique
Ah... I would love to join you but we don't ride in the same circles... you should know that. I happen to be in the slow pokey group... you not so much!
Well Pam,

You've never seen what a wuss mountain bike rider I am! Yes, I am the slowest one in the Lois group, esp. on the descents. If they're too steep and/or loose, I get off and walk! Plus, as above, I'm usually knackered from the road bike ride on Sat. (this time a BCI ride in Whittier Hills).

I think this Sun. we're riding Fullerton Loop. I'll send you an email message with the details from Lois.

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 02-02-11 at 10:22 PM.