Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any other dudes riding a "women's specific" saddle?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-11, 09:59 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I bought a used Specialized BG Jett 143 MM "woman's" saddle on E-bay. Carbon/titanium and pretty light. Also EXTREMELY comfortable for this 175lb 100% male. Haven't sat on it for a century or anything yet, but seems like a really good fit with no pressure on my manhood, no soreness even though it is pretty stiff, no restriction of thigh movement.

So why is it a "woman's" saddle anyway?

Don in Austin
Old 02-02-11, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
When Avocet came out with the women's touring II, I bought one for my wife and a men's touring II for me. After a few rides, we switched and I have pretty much stayed with women's saddles over the past three decades. As far as I can tell, the main difference between saddles for males and females is their width. Since I have wide bones it doesn't make sense to use a narrow saddle. Use what is comfortable for you and forget the label. Heck, you're already wearing spandex with a pad in the crotch area.
Old 02-02-11, 11:17 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
Yeah, I don't advertise it, but I ride a WSD saddle. When I bought my last road bike last spring, it came with one of those awful hard Bontrager saddles and that was a non-starter. I went through about a dozen other possibilities at the LBS, and wasn't happy with any of them. THe LBS guy said, "what about this one" and it just seemed more comfortable than the others. 3000 miles (and a few centuries) later, I don't have any complaints.
Old 02-02-11, 11:19 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Women's saddles are generally several millimeters wider in the rear/sitzbone section than male models.
Ride what's comfortable for you.
Old 02-03-11, 01:47 AM

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"If the shoe fits, wear it."
But I'd be worried about my voice going up an octave, and the hair on my chin falling out.

Come to think of it, there's a woman at church with a mustache. I wonder if her bike has a man's saddle.
Old 02-03-11, 01:57 AM

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a woman who uses men's saddles because the women's models are too wide and tend to be uncomfortable. Unfortunately I had to discover that the expensive way. My boyfriend, on the other hand, uses a women's saddle on his bike.
Old 02-03-11, 07:48 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yeah, my utility bike sports an Avocet O2 women's model saddle. I prefer a very firm saddle and it fit the bill, and it was on sale.

My only complaint is that the covering has worn out and I'm trying to figure out how to recover it.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-03-11, 08:20 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've got a Fizik Vitesse on all of my road bikes. It's marketed as a women's saddle in the US but unisex in some areas. It replaced a Fizik Aliante, which fit me nice but was too narrow. The only differences I can tell between the Vitesse and the Aliante is that the Vitesse is about 1 cm wider and it costs half as much. I picked up my first Vitesse in a trade for another saddle that didn't fit me. The others I bought on eBay for about $20-30 each.

Before switching to the Vitesse, I was using a Brooks B17. The Vitesse is actually more comfortable for me, and it weighs half as much as the B17.
Old 02-03-11, 09:52 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Have one on the Tandem. Seems to suit the spells when you cannot get out of the saddle but Do find that after about 6 hours- I have spend time out of the saddle with it. A lot of time out of the saddle.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-03-11, 10:42 AM

Bikes: Colnago C50

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Several years ago I ordered a Terry seat. I meant to order a Fly Ti, but ordered the Butterfly Ti by mistake. I was too lazy to return it so I tried it out and it was the most comfortable seat I ever used and I eventually put them on all of my bikes.