Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Saturday is my first century ride - help

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Saturday is my first century ride - help

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 06:34 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to hear how you did as well. The weather was stellar, 80° and crystal clear skies. I did a personal best clipping the 100 mile mark at 5:44.

Here's a shot at mile 71 in La Quinta, SAG stop #4.

IMAG0059.jpg
Old 02-12-11, 06:53 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Well pmcq?? We are all awaiting a report. How did you do?
Old 02-12-11, 10:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think she is in bed.
Old 02-13-11, 11:13 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
She must be home by now----Unless the ride took more out of her than it should have done.

Can't believe that though

OR--- she took so many photos on the one thing she changed on the ride (The camera) and they are all upside down and back to front. Gonna take some time to sort those out.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-13-11, 11:41 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
She finished... she'll post a report as soon as she's able. I've ridden with Pam and am amazed at her fortitude. She did the TdPS half-century last year, just several weeks after she started riding.
Old 02-13-11, 12:24 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.5 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finished. I took a nasty fall at mile 22 and I think I have a pulled groin muscle. Huge crowd of riders approaching a SAG stop (after the merge between the century and the 55ers), a sudden stop and another rider hit my wheel which pushed me off the pavement into the sandy dirt and down I went. Scrapes and bruises are nothing special. but the pain in my left leg/hip/groin got my attention all day and continues today.

It felt okay while I was riding, but I could hardly walk at the SAG stops. Getting food, water and a potty break took forever as I limped slowly from place to place. As a result, I was more tired after each break than I was at the start of them. I spent quite some time at the 70-mile stop. There was grass and I tried doing some mild stretching exercises. I also ingested every Motrin and Tylenol I could find, but refused an offer of some for $6 a pill - geez. Today I am walking with a cane since I cannot put any weight on my left leg. I think I will be fine - I had better be since I am leaving for a week of meetings in Washington DC in a few hours (I hate LAX, but the flights are good). At least sitting on the plane for 5 hours shouldn't bother my leg!

So Cindy and I finished as the event ended, almost 9 hours after we began. This was much slower than we had hoped, but we had a great time in spite of my injury. My 17-year-old daughter and her boyfriend met me at the finish with flowers and chocolate-covered strawberries - was unexpected and quite wonderful. I took some pictures and will post an illustrated ride report later this week.

Now I have to forget everything about beautiful weather and start packing for a week of winter back east. Thanks so much to all of you for your support and advice. It made this ride even better for me.
~pam
Old 02-13-11, 12:35 PM
Old Fart Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pmcq
I finished. I took a nasty fall at mile 22 and I think I have a pulled groin muscle. Huge crowd of riders approaching a SAG stop (after the merge between the century and the 55ers), a sudden stop and another rider hit my wheel which pushed me off the pavement into the sandy dirt and down I went. Scrapes and bruises are nothing special. but the pain in my left leg/hip/groin got my attention all day and continues today.

It felt okay while I was riding, but I could hardly walk at the SAG stops. Getting food, water and a potty break took forever as I limped slowly from place to place. As a result, I was more tired after each break than I was at the start of them. I spent quite some time at the 70-mile stop. There was grass and I tried doing some mild stretching exercises. I also ingested every Motrin and Tylenol I could find, but refused an offer of some for $6 a pill - geez. Today I am walking with a cane since I cannot put any weight on my left leg. I think I will be fine - I had better be since I am leaving for a week of meetings in Washington DC in a few hours (I hate LAX, but the flights are good). At least sitting on the plane for 5 hours shouldn't bother my leg!

So Cindy and I finished as the event ended, almost 9 hours after we began. This was much slower than we had hoped, but we had a great time in spite of my injury. My 17-year-old daughter and her boyfriend met me at the finish with flowers and chocolate-covered strawberries - was unexpected and quite wonderful. I took some pictures and will post an illustrated ride report later this week.

Now I have to forget everything about beautiful weather and start packing for a week of winter back east. Thanks so much to all of you for your support and advice. It made this ride even better for me.
~pam
Congrats! For some reason there were an abundance of "spills" this year. I saw at least 5 riders either go down or that were down.
Old 02-13-11, 12:49 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, Pam -- the fact that you finished with an injury makes it even more monumental. I hope your hip will heal well and soon. At least you'll have a good story to tell when they ask why you're walking with a limp: "I rode my bike 102 miles, most of it with an injury after I crashed at 22 miles."
Old 02-13-11, 12:53 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Great job Pam!! Bring your bike to DC and JimF can show you a few routes in that area.
Old 02-13-11, 01:08 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
~pam
Congratulations on the finish, Pam I hope you heal quickly.

You may have lucked out with the weather. We'll be having a February Thaw next week in the eastern states with above average temperatures.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-13-11, 01:12 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
With a spill like that- I am surprised you finished let alone managed to walk at the sags. Just shows how well you had prepared- though how you can be ready for a pulled Muscle is anyones guess.

Well done.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-13-11, 03:44 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

~pam
DC weather is calling for a warmer week with temps in the 60's. I will be riding after work for sure!
Old 02-13-11, 05:23 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Very good job, pmcq!
Old 02-13-11, 06:05 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Pam, that's a great job finishing to say nothing of finishing after a fall. This is the first of many centuries in your future.
Old 02-13-11, 06:11 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Wow! Way to HTFU!
Old 02-13-11, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Pam, you showed some real true grit. Glad you were rewarded with the love of a family member bringing chocolate covered strawberries. Ya done good.
Old 02-13-11, 06:22 PM
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
+1 on the true grit, its hard to push on when you hurt from a crash
R&J
Old 02-13-11, 06:24 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Great Effort.....Way to roll

Old 02-13-11, 06:42 PM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good job Pam,

I thought you would do well. I hope that you recoup from your injury soon.

Pat
Old 02-13-11, 06:54 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Congrats!! Hope you heal toatlly and fast!!

Old 02-13-11, 08:01 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Congratulations Pam! I looked for you all day, but didn't see you (may have passed you in the huge mass of cyclists where you crashed).

It was a lovely day, practically perfect in every way, great support from the organization there in Palm Springs!

Good job of carrying on after the crash. A friend of mine crashed (rider took out her front wheel), ended with stitches in her leg (she was the 45th rider from the Tour of Palm Springs in the emergency room), but she finished the ride too.

I had a good ride; started at 7:00AM and finished at 1:05PM, details from my Garmin 800 linked below:

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/68193019

Hope you heal super-quickly!

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-13-11, 08:17 PM
Old Fart Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Congratulations Pam! I looked for you all day, but didn't see you (may have passed you in the huge mass of cyclists where you crashed).

It was a lovely day, practically perfect in every way, great support from the organization there in Palm Springs!

Good job of carrying on after the crash. A friend of mine crashed (rider took out her front wheel), ended with stitches in her leg (she was the 45th rider from the Tour of Palm Springs in the emergency room), but she finished the ride too.

I had a good ride; started at 7:00AM and finished at 1:05PM, details from my Garmin 800 linked below:

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/68193019

Hope you heal super-quickly!

Rick / OCRR
Didn't spend much time at the SAG stops did you Rick? That's a crazy number of people in the ER, and doesn't even take into account the riders that went down and didn't get to an ER!
Old 02-13-11, 09:08 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
pmcq,

Congratulations! I admire your tenacity in finishing the ride after your fall! Nice work! I hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-13-11, 09:17 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metric Man
Didn't spend much time at the SAG stops did you Rick? That's a crazy number of people in the ER, and doesn't even take into account the riders that went down and didn't get to an ER!
That's a busy day in the ER!

Rick, you said your friend finished the ride after her trip to the ER -- how much time did she lose at the ER? ER trips usually include a long wait except in life-threatening emergencies. I wonder if they were fully staffed in anticipation of injuries during the ride.
Old 02-13-11, 09:20 PM
Rabid Member

Bikes: 2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations, that's quite a feat after such a nasty spill!

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
... the 45th rider from the Tour of Palm Springs in the emergency room...
Wow, how many riders were there? This is making me seriously reconsider my first half-century attempt in March with my niece.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.