Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Woo hoo, more grandson bike mechanic time.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 02:05 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts

I got my tandem wheels and fork back from the couple who had borrowed them today. My plan is for my grandson to help me reinstall them next Saturday. I'm thinking that he'll be able to do almost all of it. His two brothers have a basketball game two blocks from our condo so grandma can go watch them play while Tyler and I are working on the bike.
Old 02-12-11, 03:00 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think that is a bit unfair. Sending Grandma off to a Basketball game while you and Tyler enjoy yourself.

At least it will stop grandma interrupting the mechanicing with silly questions like- "Do you want a coffee"

Spike Milligan
Old 02-12-11, 10:23 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
36, 40 or 48 spoked wheels?
Enjoy, then go riding TWOgether!
Old 02-13-11, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by zonatandem
36, 40 or 48 spoked wheels?
Enjoy, then go riding TWOgether!
They're 40 spoke. Velocity Dyad rims on Hadley hubs with Alpine spokes. We have to reinstall the fork and stem, reinstall the front brake and computor sensor, replace the rear brake disc with a larger one and put both wheels back on the bike. I was able to disassemble the bike without disconnecting any of the control cables so there should be little, if any, tuneing required.

Installing the Avid brake arms is a job that he's done before so we'll see how much he remembers.
Old 02-13-11, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds good. Hope you're better at turning on the internal memory recorder than I am. Sometimes when I'm working on a project I forget to step back and take in what's really going on, because I'm too intent on getting the job done. Enjoy the time and make sure to watch it/participate in it in a way that will allow you to replay it in your head over and over. As you know, they don't stay young forever.
Old 02-13-11, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you have a stash of the dietary supplements nearby required to ensure a solid performance from the two of you, rootbeer and Oreos. Enjoy the time.
Old 02-19-11, 10:10 AM

When his dad dropped him off I said that I had more work to do than we could possibly get done. When they came back to pick Tyler up, we had completed all of the jobs (worked on 3 different bikes) and were just putting our tools away.

The jobs that I had Tyler do were relatively simple bolt up jobs but he's learning his way around tools. I gave him the job of installing a bell on our recumbent tandem, showed him another recumbent so he could see how it was supposed to fit, and turned him loose to do by it himself - which he did.

He had fun riding around on grandma's recumbent trike too but he needed a pillow behind his back to make his feet reach the pedals.

If I'd have known how much fun grandkids were going to be, I'd have had them first.
Old 02-19-11, 04:28 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Tyler has a skill that he should put to good use. You can always tell a mechanic in the way he handles and uses tools. May only be a screwdriver but he will instinctly find the way to use it properly. Watch a "Non" mechanic use any tool and you will know what I mean.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-19-11, 05:00 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
This stuff makes it worth while for me. Your threads and you peoples' replies make my day. I wish John would finish college soon and we can get back into the garage again. Glad Tyler got to spend the day with you Grouch. Grand Pa's are the best.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-19-11, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

...If I'd have known how much fun grandkids were going to be, I'd have had them first.
When I read that comment I nearly busted a gut. A friend of mine is 58. His second son turned 3 in December and his second daughter was born in November. He jokes about having his own grandchildren so that his two oldest kids (age 21 and 18) don't have to. I hope he is having as much fun as you are.

Last edited by B. Carfree; 02-19-11 at 05:42 PM. Reason: add elipses
Old 02-20-11, 08:45 AM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I got my tandem wheels and fork back from the couple who had borrowed them today. My plan is for my grandson to help me reinstall them next Saturday. I'm thinking that he'll be able to do almost all of it. His two brothers have a basketball game two blocks from our condo so grandma can go watch them play while [B]Tyler and I are working on the bike.
RG, my grandson's name is Tyler! We must be related!

I don't think my Tyler's brother will be off playing basketball anytime soon. Mama still has 7 weeks to go. None the less, the baby is 7 lbs 8 oz! He'll be big enough to play basketball!

My Tyler is very mechanically inclined, like me and Mama. Daddy has his gifts in other areas. Don't let him near a tool!

Tyler will be 8 next month, and many of you have been following his saga as he has conqured a deadly childhood cancer. Right now he and I are in the hospital because he has a fever and the Drs take no chances. We won't be riding the tandem this weekend, but we will play "Elefunk" on the PS3. It's a cute little game where you have to use geometric shapes to build structures that will support various loads of elephants. I'm amazed at his intuitive understanding of the relative strenghts of the various parts, and how their strenght is increased or lessened depending on relative placements. I think he will be an engineer or architech.
Old 02-20-11, 09:13 AM

^^^^^^^

You realize, of course, that you can justify any equipment upgrade to your bikes by saying it's so you can spend more shop time with your grandson.
Old 02-20-11, 09:34 AM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
^^^^^^^

You realize, of course, that you can justify any equipment upgrade to your bikes by saying it's so you can spend more shop time with your grandson.
I have learned this valuable and critical lesson. To a lesser degree it applies to such purchases for my SON as well.