Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Kids of the Future

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Kids of the Future

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 03:13 PM

Bikes: Fantom 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icebiker76
Are teachers who post jokes about social darwinism on internet forums a symptom or a cause of the supposed idiocracy?
Yes.
You know I have spent my career working with some of the toughest students in a school district: I've taught Severely Emotionally Disturbed students in center schools. I've taught in Juvenile Justice settings, and I currently teach children with autism in a self-contained setting. There are days when I feel really good about the job I do, and feel that it makes a difference. You know, the Pollyannaish, "A man never stands so tall as when he bends down to help a child" sentiment. There are other days when I come home and see something on the news or read a story like this that makes me wonder how many of these children I've been able to impact a long term change on, and how many of them I just taught to blend in and more cleverly hide their underlying personality pathologies, until they got to a point where they can't keep it bottled up and they commit suicide, or attack someone or some animal. Lately I've been feeling the negative energy more. *sigh*

Last edited by Garilia; 02-18-11 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-20-11, 07:33 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I'm sorry, but the United States has NOTHING to be ashamed of!!
Wow, someone actually posted that.....really?
Old 02-20-11, 08:17 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
"Say not thou, 'What is the cause that the former days were better than these?' for thou dost not inquire wisely concerning this."- Solomon.

Kids acting up- a bummer. Something new- nope. Going to heck in a handbasket- maybe so, maybe not. There's always been good people and there's always been some criminals out there.
Old 02-20-11, 08:40 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tlc20010
Wow, someone actually posted that.....really?
Yup, someone did; and I can't answer it like it deserves to be answered, cuz then THIS thread will get moved to P&R, too........

Originally Posted by dahut
Im in sincere agreement that not everyone is bad - these are 4 year old children. If they behave badly, they are taught to do so. It was their attitude as much as what they said: combative and belligerent.
As someone else said, give them a few more years and they would have told me to get f*cked. Ten years and they'll be "popping a cap in my @ss."

Another level that this reached to is the use of the word "ni**(gg)er." One thought I had was that it is being applied universally here. Have we actually made strides towards uniting the races in this country? See, Im white - they didn't call me 'cracker' or '*****' - they called me "ni**(gger)."
For all the negative connotation that word has held over the decades, it's odd that it has become an epithet among the very people it was intended to degrade. Maybe it is losing it's power?

More than anything, I see it as some little kids being messed up by adults. Hey, there is nothing new under the sun - trashy people have been ruining their kids for a long time. Somewhere there are some ghetto thumping, pant sagging adults planting this behavior in their minds. My next door neighbor, when he heard of the episode, shook his head and said, "That whats wrong right there - dumb@ss ignorance. How can any of us rise higher, when we're teaching our kids to act like thugs?" He is black.
Trust me when I say it, I've got a bit of an inside track here -- the biggest users of the N-word will tell you:

"...we say it with an 'A', not the 'ER', makes it OUR word, not the white man's...."

I call BS every time I hear that, and sometimes refer people to www.abolishthenword.com. (EDIT: it appears this website has evaporated, sorry.)

If you think for ONE SECOND that the word is losing its power, try using it. It's SOOOO "okay" for ghetto black folks that it's become an entitlement, but you and I will risk our lives for a two-syllable sound. (BTW -- 'cracker' *or as pronounced, CRACKA* is the term of choice now, more than *****. I guess too many people like me came up with answers -- "I'm a *****? Then come blow my horn, B****!")

I feel for your neighbor; I'd stand shoulder to shoulder with him, but it would diminish his efforts, just by my association.

Last edited by DX-MAN; 02-20-11 at 08:43 PM. Reason: website issue
Old 02-20-11, 09:00 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The kids in my neighborhood are really nice, respectful. One of the parents isn't. It cuts both ways.
Old 02-20-11, 09:39 PM
Wheezy Rider

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
The kids in my neighborhood are really nice, respectful. One of the parents isn't. It cuts both ways.
I can relate to that one. I live next door to a teenager who is one of the sweetest, happiest and pleasantest kids you could ever hope to meet. Her mother and her stepfather though, they're a couple of the biggest a-holes I know. Go figure.
Old 02-21-11, 12:28 AM
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The best neighbors I've had in 20 years have had a large dose of melatonin in their skin.
I AM NOT making racial slurs in this post. and Im pleased to see that it hasnt degraded to that. What I am doing is pointing out a culture of ignorance that exists.
For that is what it is pure ignorance held in the highest esteem.

In the end, that is the thing that bothers me most, I suppose.
Old 02-21-11, 09:37 AM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I believe it is sad to condemn so many by the actions of two. And if you believe racism is confined to the USA turn off the TV and travel a bit. Unfortunate actions by 2 youngsters but who's to say they won't grow into fine individuals for who among us can't recall something we'd like to take back?
Old 02-21-11, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
When I was four years old I did some pretty stupid things. At that age kids are trying different things out. I remember calling my Sunday school teacher a (well, a not to nice slang word for a part of female anatomy), not because I knew what it meant, but because I knew when people said it, others went, "Ooooo, you shouldn't say that." I would see this an a potential opportunity to change the way those particular four year olds think. It's tough to have real hate or disrespect for someone you know and who has been kind with you.
Old 02-21-11, 05:00 PM
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by XR2
Unfortunate actions by 2 youngsters but who's to say they won't grow into fine individuals for who among us can't recall something we'd like to take back?
+1 on this. I'd also say that while there are certainly plenty of cases where kids pick up bad attitudes and habits from their parents, there are also cases where they pick them up from other kids and the parents may not even be aware that it's happening.
Old 02-21-11, 05:31 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by skilsaw
I still think it is wrong to edit Mark Twain's Life on the Mississippi. Read it aloud, including the n word and use it as an opportunity to discuss our racial history, perhaps even gaining some insight as we do.
That's what I think too. There are no bad words, there is only inappropriate context.

I tell the kids on my school bus they can say whatever they want in the presence of their friends but show me the respect of editing your language on my bus. (Most of the inappropriate words they use are really stupid if you consider them literally anyway.)
Old 02-21-11, 07:00 PM
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep right on enjoying that fantasy. You can believe anything you want to, it doesn't have to be true.
Hell, I have a friend who believes Reagan is still president, I tell her the same thing.
Old 02-21-11, 11:55 PM
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by XR2
I believe it is sad to condemn so many by the actions of two. And if you believe racism is confined to the USA turn off the TV and travel a bit. Unfortunate actions by 2 youngsters but who's to say they won't grow into fine individuals for who among us can't recall something we'd like to take back?
Excellent point. It IS NOT these two youngsters that I am condemning. It is a the examples they have in the form of adults. That sort of behavior is usually learned from those closest, like parents, siblings and so on.
They might turn into fine adults, you are right. Im giving those odds at 50:50 right now.
Old 02-22-11, 12:02 AM
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88
When I was four years old I did some pretty stupid things. At that age kids are trying different things out. I remember calling my Sunday school teacher a (well, a not to nice slang word for a part of female anatomy), not because I knew what it meant, but because I knew when people said it, others went, "Ooooo, you shouldn't say that." I would see this an a potential opportunity to change the way those particular four year olds think. It's tough to have real hate or disrespect for someone you know and who has been kind with you.
Here's what I know. Had I stood in front of my house as a child and "innocently" hollered "ni**(gg)er," or "c*nt," or "f*cker" (choose your expletive) at a stranger, I wouldn't have sat down for a week. Remember, this was in their own yard, 10 feet from their front door.
I know kids do stupid things; hell I've raised 5 of my own. But they were doing it were they felt safest and secure - at home. This wasn't in a Sunday School or elsewhere. What does that tell you about the home?
Old 02-22-11, 05:43 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Here's what I know. Had I stood in front of my house as a child and "innocently" hollered "ni**(gg)er," or "c*nt," or "f*cker" (choose your expletive) at a stranger, I wouldn't have sat down for a week. Remember, this was in their own yard, 10 feet from their front door.
I know kids do stupid things; hell I've raised 5 of my own. But they were doing it were they felt safest and secure - at home. This wasn't in a Sunday School or elsewhere. What does that tell you about the home?
That maybe there was a babysitter there or the parents somewhere out of ear shot. I don't really know. It could have been a less than desirable situation for those kids. I do know that I've worked with adjudicated teens in some of the roughest neighborhoods in the Philadelphia area for over 15 years, and there are MANY kids worth the effort. Some, not so much, but the majority? Yeah, I think so. It's amazing how resilient kids can be.
Old 02-22-11, 10:48 AM
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88
That maybe there was a babysitter there or the parents somewhere out of ear shot. I don't really know. It could have been a less than desirable situation for those kids. I do know that I've worked with adjudicated teens in some of the roughest neighborhoods in the Philadelphia area for over 15 years, and there are MANY kids worth the effort. Some, not so much, but the majority? Yeah, I think so. It's amazing how resilient kids can be.
And, of course, this leads to the greater sorrow - the fact that we do have to adjudicate so many. There have always been broken homes and distraught situations. Is it because we simply have more people that we have so many, today?

I don't think so. I, too, have worked with kids and I'm convinced that their is a genuine apathy and laggardness today that didn't exist in our recently past times. I refer to it as the "F*ck the World" mentality.
And when I say recent past, I'm talking about only a few generations here.
You are right we are asked by our culture to be participants and make the attempt to save people from themselves. But are there enough of us who are willing to do so, to go around?
Old 02-22-11, 07:32 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
These kids were taught to hate, envy and to be bitter. It's to bad. We just need to thank God that we didn't have those kind of parents. I say, "there but for the grace of God go I". Those kids need mentoring before they wind up in real trouble and in jail or worse.
Old 02-22-11, 09:51 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Social Darwinism, or our descent to idiocracy, is partly due to smarter people having less children and the idiots gradually taking over.
Social Darwinism, or our descent to idiocracy, is partly due to smarter people having fewer children and the idiots gradually taking over.

Just sayin'.

Nothing? Nothing? Really? Not one thing? Even one small tiny thing?
Old 02-22-11, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I wouldn't have been beaten for such behavior. I would have been forced to find the person I insulted, apologize and then offer to work for free for them for some lengthy period of time. I think I would rather take a beating.