Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First real ride of 2011 - encourgement welcome

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-11, 02:19 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I haven't rode much for the last 6 months, Family and health issues have wrecked havoc on my schedule and fitness.

Today, before the onset of sleet, rain, snow and generally pissy weather I took out my new Colnago for a ride. I was ready for 5 miles but did a 10 mile loop. I also chased down another rider my age (and paid for it). I cannot say it was pleasant but the ride was good. The wool jersey w/hoodie and 50+ jacket were great.

I've also signed up for the Tour De Canal - 184 miles of C&O canal in two days this September. I now have a cross bike which should make it easier. I also picked up some nice Specialized Raval wheels.
Old 02-21-11, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like spring training has started.
Old 02-21-11, 02:40 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Keep it moving.

Old 02-21-11, 02:44 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Having an event to train for will make it real. Ride as much as possible!
Old 02-21-11, 03:53 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've ridden like maybe 5 miles this year. Good on ya for getting out. And we're expecting snow tonight and tomorrow. Damn.
Old 02-21-11, 03:56 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden 0 miles this year... I'd settle for a 10-mile ride. I'm afraid this will be a year of riding for fitness alone, not events.
Old 02-21-11, 04:16 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Having an event to train for will make it real. Ride as much as possible!
I built my Ritchey cross bike last year and am looking forward to riding the C&O on something better than the MTB I used in 2006. That was an exhausting two days.

Originally Posted by Yen
I've ridden 0 miles this year... I'd settle for a 10-mile ride. I'm afraid this will be a year of riding for fitness alone, not events.
These last few years family crisis come up during the first week of October - killing my planned Seagull Century ride each time. I happened to be under trained for the ride but it's been frustrating. Normally I can only ride by commuting to work. I plan to do that again as part of my fitness goals. The event in September and October will give me a reason to push harder - friends who donate in my name have a way of ensuring that.
Old 02-21-11, 07:21 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.5 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Robert,
I was going to simply extend my best wishes to you for the C&O ride and then I saw your sig line. I am happy to support your effort, and have done so on your donor page. My father died of Alzheimer's 18 years ago at the age of 68. As I approach 60, I do a mental check every day to see if I can detect the slightest sign that I would be the next in our family to experience this horrific disease. When I ride my bike, I feel as I can conquer whatever the world throws at me. I hope your ride fills you with the same sense of accomplishment and that it helps find a cure for this devastating disease. God speed.
~pam
Old 02-21-11, 08:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you got out and rode today! My father in law also died of Alzheimers a year ago. He had the unfortunate luck to live for almost ten years after diagnosis. It was a horrific ordeal. The last two years of his life were hell for him and everyone around him. My husband is fearful of getting the disease, too. He has thought about being tested for the gene (they do that now), but it wouldn't change anything. So far at 57 he has no signs. His mother is over 80 and sharp. Hopefully he carried her genes.

Ride and ride! Soon you cold weather people will be able to get out and about.
Old 02-21-11, 09:09 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
These last few years family crisis come up during the first week of October - killing my planned Seagull Century ride each time. I happened to be under trained for the ride but it's been frustrating. Normally I can only ride by commuting to work. I plan to do that again as part of my fitness goals. The event in September and October will give me a reason to push harder - friends who donate in my name have a way of ensuring that.
I'm very sorry for my glib reply -- the result of reading your post too hastily and responding even more hastily. I encourage you to train for the event --- it surely helps to have a goal to pursue... and it doesn't hurt to also have a new bike and wheels.
Old 02-21-11, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Well done on the initial ride of 2011. You've gotten your feet wet, so you can jump in and have at it.
Old 02-21-11, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Glad to hear that you got out, robtown. That September ride will be a great motivator.

I have yet to see the pavement from a bicycle seat this year.
Old 02-21-11, 09:27 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's tough when family crisis arise.

Here's hoping for a better year for you and your family, and many safe and care-free miles.
Old 02-22-11, 06:24 AM
Muscle bike design spec

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pmcq
Robert,
I was going to simply extend my best wishes to you for the C&O ride and then I saw your sig line. I am happy to support your effort, and have done so on your donor page. My father died of Alzheimer's 18 years ago at the age of 68. As I approach 60, I do a mental check every day to see if I can detect the slightest sign that I would be the next in our family to experience this horrific disease. When I ride my bike, I feel as I can conquer whatever the world throws at me. I hope your ride fills you with the same sense of accomplishment and that it helps find a cure for this devastating disease. God speed.
~pam
Thank you for your support; I was trying to identify the new donor and figured it might be a BF member. My father at 85 has dementia and that scares me. Altzheimer's is even more frightening. Physical activity keeps all of us healthier at BF and I hope it will keep you stronger in body and mind.
Old 02-22-11, 09:24 AM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
We all need to be thankful for our health because when it's gone, nothing else matters.
Old 02-22-11, 09:32 AM

Bikes: Waterford 2200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job, doubled your mileage! The Tour de Canal sounds like an exciting event. Keep training you'll get there.