Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Wife thinks we'll be fixing flats on our rides. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/715326-wife-thinks-well-fixing-flats-our-rides.html)

ThatBritBloke 03-01-11 07:40 AM

Keep a $10/£5 note in the repair kit for emergency coffee/sandwich or to use as a tyre boot if the casing is ripped.

I had to do this once ... saved me a 20 mile walk.

wobblyoldgeezer 03-01-11 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 12288334)
And don't forget to find what caused the flat and fix it. It really sucks to repair a tire only to have it go flat again right away because the thorn, nail, wire or whatever it was that punctured the tube was left in the tire.

And, apologies if this point is made later in the thread but I'm intervening here!

Wipe around the inside of the tyre with a cotton-wool ball to check for residual sharps before re-seating the tyre. Weighs nothing.

Ask me and my scarred fingertips how I know!

Long trouble free miles to all here

leob1 03-01-11 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by wobblyoldgeezer (Post 12296663)
And, apologies if this point is made later in the thread but I'm intervening here!

Wipe around the inside of the tyre with a cotton-wool ball to check for residual sharps before re-seating the tyre. Weighs nothing.

Ask me and my scarred fingertips how I know!

Long trouble free miles to all here

The cotton ball is easy to lose, carry a samll rag. you can with the blood off your hands after you cut your finger finding the thing that caused the flat.

contango 03-01-11 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by ThatBritBloke (Post 12296332)
Keep a $10/£5 note in the repair kit for emergency coffee/sandwich or to use as a tyre boot if the casing is ripped.

I had to do this once ... saved me a 20 mile walk.

I'd opt for 10 $1 notes rather than one $10. That way I can boot the tyre and also buy a snack :)

NOS88 03-01-11 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by contango (Post 12298224)
I'd opt for 10 $1 notes rather than one $10. That way I can boot the tyre and also buy a snack :)

But what about the extra weight the other nine bills add?!?! ;)

mulveyr 03-01-11 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 12298960)

Doesn't everyone else's wife carry all of their money, too?

contango 03-01-11 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 12298960)

Fold them strategically and place them on the front of the bike, hopefully the aerodynamic advantage will counteract the extra weight :P

long john 03-01-11 06:26 PM

paint the pump the color of bike its coool just to have one on the bike or just to help some one else out you could be some ones hero. like jumper cables.... and when you get a flat and fix it your wife will think you a hero win win get set up and go ride...

simonplatt 08-26-11 03:12 PM

i ride with my cousin. one day he had 3 punctures i had 1. we (I) fixed them all as they happened, they didn't spoil our day. (he previously had the same opinion as you)

ALLWAYS carry a kit.

Farmer Dave 08-26-11 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by xizangstan (Post 12265753)
I disagree. You're right. Us guys are always right. But to be safe, I would go ahead and buy a couple pumps and patch kits, as well as a set of plastic levers. That way, you just shut her up. And if you do have a flat, you won't have to walk. You can even let her fix the flat! Tell her to be careful and not break a fingernail...

I'm not being sexist, am I?

Not at all. ;)

MinnMan 08-26-11 03:59 PM

zombie thread

Barry in GA 08-26-11 05:38 PM

Holy dead thread resurrection!

DnvrFox 08-26-11 06:04 PM

Sigh . . . .

Old threads never die,

:deadhorse:

they are miraculous in that they continuously get resurrected

Keith99 08-26-11 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by XR2 (Post 12269115)
Being from the east I have no experience with goatheads. How do they end up on the pavement?

The plant is a vinelike thing, it can easily grow 10 feet from where it starts think of crabgrass with thorns. It you are especially unlucky the plant is gone and the thorns remain.

MinnMan 08-27-11 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 13138365)
Sigh . . . .

Old threads never die,

That would be *continually* (happening repeatedly), rather than *continuously* (happening at all times).

Machka 08-27-11 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by colpatrick (Post 12265537)
I'm telling her that whoever DOESN't get the flat drives back to the car and picks up the stranded rider.

Don't think it's realistic to carry a tire kit and pump for the type of riding we'll be doing.

I'm looking at 10-25 milers for the most part.

Who's being realistic?

You're certainly not being realistic.

LesterOfPuppets 08-27-11 12:43 AM

I'm telling her that whoever DOESN't get the flat drives back to the car and picks up the stranded rider.

Don't think it's realistic to carry a tire kit and pump for the type of riding we'll be doing.

Who's being realistic?

I often do completely unencumbered rides along bus/train routes so that I have a way home should I flat. Most of the time I have patch kit/pump/spare tubes and sometimes even a spare tire, however.

Using your technique is similar but sometimes waiting by the road can really suck. Then of course there's the chance that the person riding home to get the car flats or breaks down. Bummer.

DnvrFox 08-27-11 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 13138365)
Sigh . . . .

Old threads never die,

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 13139366)
That would be *continually* (happening repeatedly), rather than *continuously* (happening at all times).

Hey, thanks for the correction. I needed that! It sort of made my morning.

Road Fan 08-27-11 07:24 AM

Who's being realistic?

Suck it up, dude, she's right.

berner 08-27-11 09:24 AM

If people are going to begin saying "Dude" here on the 50 +, I may have to report that to a moderator.

leob1 08-27-11 10:44 AM

My wife and I where on a 15 mile ride, half way through she flatted, we changed the tube and continued. About 1.5 miles from home she flatted again. This time I sprinted home for the "tow van". I was quicker than patching the tire, and we where fighting daylight. It all depends on the circumstance. Dude.

BluesDawg 08-27-11 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by berner (Post 13140122)
If people are going to begin saying "Dude" here on the 50 +, I may have to report that to a moderator.

Dude!

Road Fan 08-27-11 12:07 PM

Sorry, man, couldn't resist!

colpatrick 08-29-11 08:44 PM

We wound up buying a patch kit,tire tool and pump.

But we have not carried them on any ride yet.

Our rides are generally on bike paths along the Erie Canal or the Genesee river. And I must say I have been pleasantly surprised by the lack of glass and debris on the paths.Folks take very good care of them.

Even doing 10 mile rides in the housing track, there is very little glass.

hope we didn't jinx ourselves with this post...

overthehillmedi 08-29-11 09:40 PM

You just did. You don't trifle with the Flat Fairy without paying the penalty! Start carrying.