Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Any seat recommendations out there? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/715560-any-seat-recommendations-out-there.html)

BluesDawg 02-24-11 08:57 AM


Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 12272489)
Just one question. If DF saddles dont cause pain, why is the so much discussion and switching to find one that causes the least pain??? We bent riders are smiling.

Your post was the first mention of pain in this thread. :)

Maybe it is evangelical 'bent riders who cause the most pain. :innocent:

Yen 02-24-11 09:38 AM


Originally Posted by BigBlueToe (Post 12272639)
Brooks B17. If you have sore butt troubles, you should at least give this saddle a try. It's not for everyone, but an awful lot of people (including me) love theirs.

I wish I did... I loved its looks but not how it felt. It might have broken in after many more miles, but meanwhile it gave me my first saddle sore. :( I shipped it off to a happy home. :)

I do love my Terry Butterfly, I have one on both bikes. :love:

Yen 02-24-11 09:42 AM


Originally Posted by oilman_15106 (Post 12272072)
How much money do you have to find the right one? Standard rule of thumb is about $500 is what it takes to find one that really works.

2 that work for me are Fizik Aliante and Selle Signo. There is not enough bandwidth to list the ones I have tried and not worked for me.

:eek: Really??? The Terry Butterfly works for me, under $100.

CbadRider 02-24-11 10:14 AM

There were two seat/saddle threads by the same OP - they have been merged.

Hermes 02-24-11 10:22 AM


Originally Posted by CbadRider (Post 12273042)
There were two seat/saddle threads by the same OP - they have been merged.

Well...I wrote three brilliant paragraphs for this thread and as I tried to preview the result, BF gave me a weird message and my work was erased. I suspect I posted at the same time you merged. We had simultaneous.....

OP good luck with your saddle selection.

bobbycorno 02-24-11 10:30 AM


Originally Posted by old (Post 12271656)
I remember, back in the mid/late 80's, reading about a women's NORBA champion that won without a saddle for the last 25 or so miles of the championship race. Her seat post broke and somehow she had the fortitude to not only finish but win the national championship race for the year. Wow!

That would by Cindy Whitehead, IIRC. A regular bike monster!

SP
Bend, OR

bobbycorno 02-24-11 10:33 AM

I ride a bent, and use a Brooks on my df, so I'm part of both crowds. But my advice is to find a shop that has a saddle trial/trade-in program and start trying 'em. That's the least expensive way to do it.

SP
Bend, OR

StanSeven 02-24-11 10:38 AM

I like the Fizik Arione. It came with a new bike and I liked it so much, I replaced a Selle Italia on another bike I have. It's longer than most saddles and provides slightly different positions for climbing or just re-adjusting your position on long rides - like taking a break.

Rltot 02-24-11 11:36 AM

Ok, not trying to hijack this tread, but can any of you Brooks lovers tell me what is the difference (besides the obvious, ie spring vs unsprung) in models? Been looking at them for a while now and can't decide which model is right for me. I ride a Specialized Crosstrial Hybrid. Thanks!

outwest5 02-24-11 11:51 AM

I keep looking at the Terry Butterfly series Yen talks about, but it has this big, friggin pink monogram on the side. The black and white leather one I like has pink stitching to boot! I don't know if I can do pink...It might clash with the bike. LOL.

Terex 02-24-11 09:28 PM

One of the Selle SMPs. My next saddle. Running Fizik Ariones on my bikes now.

Yen 02-25-11 10:20 AM


Originally Posted by outwest5 (Post 12273570)
I keep looking at the Terry Butterfly series Yen talks about, but it has this big, friggin pink monogram on the side. The black and white leather one I like has pink stitching to boot! I don't know if I can do pink...It might clash with the bike. LOL.

Neither of mine has pink... in fact one of them was on Hubby's bike (I don't recall why he switched it... he liked the saddle). Keep looking, even on Ebay.

outwest5 02-25-11 10:36 AM

I found a 2010 black Terry butterfly on sale on the Terry site- no pink. I don't think they are going to do well this year with that pink stuff. I think they made a boo boo doing that:
"Completely updated for 2011 with black perforated leather, pink stitching and distinctive Terry logo."
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...5/CAERYWMP.jpg

I found this one- no pink:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...anoxsaddle.jpg

StephenH 02-25-11 12:51 PM


Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 12272489)
Just one question. If DF saddles dont cause pain, why is the so much discussion and switching to find one that causes the least pain??? We bent riders are smiling.

I could build you a recumbent seat that caused pain, and thus prove that recumbents are worthless, if that's how you figure it.

BamaRider 02-25-11 01:04 PM


Originally Posted by Rltot (Post 12273500)
Ok, not trying to hijack this tread, but can any of you Brooks lovers tell me what is the difference (besides the obvious, ie spring vs unsprung) in models? Been looking at them for a while now and can't decide which model is right for me. I ride a Specialized Crosstrial Hybrid. Thanks!

I ride a CrossTrail as well. The various models from Brooks stumped me, so I went with a standard unsprung B17. My intent is to break it in on the CrossTrail, then move it over to the road bike in time (actually, well before) BRAG in June.

AzTallRider 02-25-11 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally settled on this seat, and I love it. For once, all the manufacturer claims turned out to be true. I went from perineal related numbess (you can figure out what that means) on any ride over an hour or so, to no numbness whatsoever, ever. And after a few rides, no butt soreness. Full length cutouts rule. Not cheap, but worth it for me.

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...3&d=1298660971

Yen 02-25-11 01:54 PM


Originally Posted by outwest5 (Post 12278420)
I found a 2010 black Terry butterfly on sale on the Terry site- no pink. I don't think they are going to do well this year with that pink stuff. I think they made a boo boo doing that:
"Completely updated for 2011 with black perforated leather, pink stitching and distinctive Terry logo."
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...5/CAERYWMP.jpg

I like the pink stitching, but I'd bet some female athletes won't appreciate the association of pink with women's anything.

AzTallRider 02-25-11 02:11 PM

I rode a Terry saddle (Men's Fly), with a pink Tour de Cure ribbon, for over a year. :-) Tremendous deal I couldn't pass up, but I ended up needing a full length cutout.

sknhgy 02-25-11 02:27 PM

I forget which saddle I use.........................um.................................Oh yea.




I have a B17.
Ever since I put it on my Specialized Sequoia I have forgotten about it cause my butt don't hurt no more.

BluesDawg 02-25-11 02:39 PM


Originally Posted by BamaRider (Post 12279245)
I ride a CrossTrail as well. The various models from Brooks stumped me, so I went with a standard unsprung B17. My intent is to break it in on the CrossTrail, then move it over to the road bike in time (actually, well before) BRAG in June.

This will be my first time in many years (more than a dozen) to ride BRAG on anything other than a Brooks B17. Not sure if I'll stay with the Avatar saddle that came on my Roubaix or go with something else like maybe a Koobi.

Agave 02-25-11 04:50 PM


Originally Posted by ctyler (Post 12272200)
Brooks B17 or B17 Narrow. Took me 10+ years to learn that there is no better saddle available for me.

Fixed it for you.




Me...Fizik Antares

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/im.../15378_i_1.jpg

outwest5 02-25-11 05:18 PM

Yen, it isn't the association with pink- I think the seat looks nice, too. It would clash with the bike and most bikes I imagine.

i'm paramount 02-25-11 05:32 PM


Originally Posted by bobbycorno (Post 12273133)
I ride a bent, and use a Brooks on my df, so I'm part of both crowds. But my advice is to find a shop that has a saddle trial/trade-in program and start trying 'em. That's the least expensive way to do it.

SP
Bend, OR

I was fortunate enough to have a LBS that had the trial saddle program . When i had gone thru three different saddle changes i tried this one------- http://www.wekeepyoucycling.com/en/p...ra-saddle.aspx I knew in the first 3 miles this was my saddle.

A saddle test program is a very good way to find what works for you!

Yen 02-25-11 06:06 PM


Originally Posted by outwest5 (Post 12280380)
Yen, it isn't the association with pink- I think the seat looks nice, too. It would clash with the bike and most bikes I imagine.

I agree - I like the pink stitching, but probably not so much on my Surly LHT. :) It would be fine on my black Roubaix with red pin-striping.

outwest5 02-25-11 06:16 PM

Yes, looks are important. :) Maybe it's a girl thang.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.