Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Show me your "Beater"

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Show me your "Beater"

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-11, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Show me your "Beater"

Inspired by bruce19's thread on "Beater Bikes" I thought maybe a group "show and tell" might be fun. Living in all sorts of different types of neighborhoods and climatic environments and having a wide variety of cycling needs, I'm sure we all have our own unique versions of what a beater actually is.

Mine is a 1988 Trek 820.

It's main purpose is as a commuter and it is therefore parked outdoors at work for 13 hours at a time in all sorts of weather. It's also not the safest neighborhood, so camoflage helps keep it from being messed with.

The first thing I did was throw some old, rusty fenders onto the bike. With Cantelever brakes this was a bit of a challange. I ended up cutting each fender into two pieces as they would not fit under the brakes. Using all sorts of rusty old fasteners including bike headlight mounts, old "L" brackets, and even extra fender stays...I managed to dirty up the bike a bit. An old rack and a metal crate added to the non-desirability a lot. 23 years of natural weathering has done the rest.

I present to you for your viewing pleasure (or not), "The Beast"

It's dirty, grimey, very rusty (spokes, fenders, fasteners and adjusters), but packs 18 speeds of dependability regardless of the weather. The steel frame is rock solid. The bike looks so bad that even though I've occasionally forgotten to lock it up, it's still around.

So who else is willing to show off their beaters?
Old 03-09-11, 08:16 PM

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Obviously, for Cranky old dude, "Beater" is a term of endearment.
Such a magnificent beast.
Old 03-09-11, 08:42 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I think "beater" is a relative term.

YellowBike is the closest thing I have to a beater.

Portrait

In the wild

It's a Y2K Trek 1000 I bought second-hand in January 2007 for $100. It was really beat then. I had to replace the entire drivetrain before I could ride it. Since then, I've replaced almost everything else. The only parts remaining of my original purchase are the frame itself, the handlebars and the bottle cage bolts. And I've been thinking of replacing the bottle cage bolts.

Last edited by tsl; 03-09-11 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-09-11, 11:30 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Both my beater and utility and my MTB. Replaced the forks, chainring and cranks and bottle cages. I have a seat post rack for the back and a trailer mount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0078..jpg (90.3 KB, 16 views)
New forks 1..jpg (99.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-09-11, 11:55 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My beater. I put all the miles on this thing. My non beater is actually a 1998 CAD3 Cannondale that has had every thing upgraded to DA components. Wheels etc all kept in tip top shape for special events. I like the bike cause it's very stiff and a good climber and doesn't flex under my weight. I'm trying to prolong the life of the frame and components so I beat up my Lemond instead.

My Lemond Beater!
Old 03-10-11, 12:05 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
'73 Varsity

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-10-11, 04:24 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Retro's beater bike

This started life as a Marin mountain bike. Only the frame remains from the original bike.
Attached Images
my pictures 037.jpg (100.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-10-11, 04:50 PM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
This is the only picture I have of my beater

...but since that pic was taken I've changed the stem (to Nitto 120mm), changed the bars (to Deda 215s), changed the saddle (to Selle Italia SLR), changed the seatpost (first to Thomson Elite, then to Ritchey WCS), changed the rear derailleur (to Shimano 105), changed the freewheel (to Shimano 7-speed), changed the crankset (to FSA Gossamer MegaExo), changed the pedals (to Speedplay Frogs),and added full coverage fenders (SKS P50) and a NiteRide MiNewt Dual headlight.

I guess I need to take a new picture!

Last edited by Bob Ross; 03-10-11 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-10-11, 04:51 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
My beater is a 1957 Hercules that has had all manner of non standard bits exchanged and/or added/substracted. On the plus side, it was free.

On the minus side, it isn't pretty. But it is a beater and it works great to haul groceries back from Trader Joe's. Right now I can only get 2 of the 3 gears (High and Middle . . . no Low), but overall, and other than that, it works fine.

Rick / OCRR

PS: Yes, that is a Colnago head-badge, and yes, it was a joke.

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 03-10-11 at 04:56 PM. Reason: add text
Old 03-10-11, 04:56 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My beater is also still my favorite of all my 7 bikes.

it's an 80-something Japanese Bianchi that has had everything replaced at some point except the frame, fork, handlebars and canti levers.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-10-11, 08:15 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I don't really have one right now. My beaters tend to start off cheap and get gradually upgraded with leftover and new parts and adjusted into becoming very nice bikes.

The Fuji S-12S I had was a good example. I got it for a song on eBay and rode it for a while as it came after cleaning and adjusting the stock parts. Soon it inherited good wheels, drivetrain, saddle, handlebars etc. from my main bike when I upgraded it. It was a nice bike by the time I gave it to my son. I replaced it with a new Salsa Casseroll which I built up to serve the all around bike role that the Fuji had grown into.

Uncle Duke by BluesDawg, on Flickr

profile by BluesDawg, on Flickr

My Trek 970 rigid steel MTB frame served as a beater for a while, but it also got upgraded to pretty good components and eventually was sold to someone needing a good, reliable all around bike. I want to replace it someday with a rigid steel 29er which will definitely not be a beater.

roadified by BluesDawg, on Flickr

I need another beater to turn into a nice bike. I have a lot of decent parts that need a home.
Old 03-10-11, 08:28 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here is my "beater" bike.. An 86 Schwinn Prelude. Paid $50 for it on CL.. The rear wheel was bent. I had some wheels with some slight dings in them laying around. Slapped them on along with some tires I had laying around too, and the bike turned "sweet"...My size too. This is the bike that I will lock up and go inside..This is the bike I ride if I think it is going to rain. After all it is a "beater"...
Old 03-10-11, 08:35 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
'70's Schwinn Continental frame with a Shimano 3-speed coaster brake. The front wheel is borrowed from my Santana Tandem - I really need to put that back where it belongs and get an appropriate beater front wheel.

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5002/...e571cd6bc8.jpg
Old 03-11-11, 09:46 AM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Well in Jan. it was the "new" bike, since I aquired the EZ-Sport AX, this Sun EZ-1 SX is now my "beater" bike!

Old 03-11-11, 12:43 PM

Bikes: Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'01 Jamis Aurora - I have a Brooks b-17n on 'er now.
Old 03-11-11, 01:30 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This is my 'beater', found in a dump about 2 yrs ago. It had good Bontrager tires on it so I put $16.00 into parts and haven't had to do a thing since. It is a Fuji Boulevard, not sure how old. These were originally low end mountain bikes. This one had a sticker on it that indicates that in a prior life it was a rental bike. I use it for quick trips to the post office and such as well as some trips on dirt roads and when the weather is bad, muddy. I don't lock it.

Attached Images
P1010078.jpg (65.7 KB, 21 views)
P1010080.jpg (67.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-11-11, 01:32 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That can't be the original paint can it?
Old 03-11-11, 01:34 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I think "beater" is a relative term.

YellowBike is the closest thing I have to a beater.

Portrait

In the wild

It's a Y2K Trek 1000 I bought second-hand in January 2007 for $100. It was really beat then. I had to replace the entire drivetrain before I could ride it. Since then, I've replaced almost everything else. The only parts remaining of my original purchase are the frame itself, the handlebars and the bottle cage bolts. And I've been thinking of replacing the bottle cage bolts.
This is the bike i was referring to when I asked about the original paint.
Old 03-11-11, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
I keep my beater in the kitchen.

Old 03-11-11, 02:13 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro
That can't be the original paint can it?
Originally Posted by Timtruro
This is the bike i was referring to when I asked about the original paint.
Yup! It photographs really well, but In Real Life it has quite a few battle scars.
Old 03-11-11, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Here's mine.
Attached Images
Trek 950.jpg (97.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-11-11, 05:56 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Yup! It photographs really well, but In Real Life it has quite a few battle scars.
Well, I for one think it looks great, especially for a so called 'beater'
Old 03-12-11, 10:10 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The "Shopping Bike"

Old 03-12-11, 12:46 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Not really a beater;

I added a Trek 400D Elance to the stable at the beginning of 2010. I wanted a bike with fenders, my 2008 Soma Double Cross has a racing fork that won't accept fenders. My 1973 Schwinn Paramount has never seen rain, and that's not going to change after 37 years.

The bike is a 63mm sized 1987 Trek 400D Elance. It's a mid-level "sport/touring" model. It has a Reynolds 531 main triangle, Shimano Drivetrain with a 14-28 6 speed freewheel and a 52 & 40t crankset. The 700c wheels are cheapest OE wheels I have ever seen on a mid-range bike.

My thanks to bibliobob for sending me the CL posting.

The fit is ideal for me, the bike also has attachment points for fenders. The seller said he got it at a house sale and had to spend a couple hours cleaning it up. He admitted to being a flipper and other bikes were in the background. I rode the bike for about a half mile, it shifted perfectly, the brakes were operational (if not too precise) and it was stable enough for no-hands travel. It does look all-original, without much use. The kind of bike that can be found at a house sale.

I converted my Soma from a double crankset to a triple in 2009. After the conversion, I ended up with an extra Ultegra 10 speed FD, RD, 11-25 cassette, a new 105 chain, along with a Sram 46 & 38t Cyclocross Crankset & BB. I also had a Mavic Open Pro W/ 36 spoke Dura Ace hub rear wheel I purchased on eBay last year.

I only needed to get a front wheel and shifters to upgrade the Trek 400D Elance to a modern 2x10 drivetrain. I found new Dura Ace 10 speed bar-end shifters from Nashbar for $50 and purchased a 32 spoke 105 hub for $15. I had the bike shop source a matching 32 spoke Open Pro rim & spokes, the new front wheel cost about $150 in total. The bike shop stripped the bike of all parts, applied Framesaver and rebuilt the bike for $225 in labor. I have about $750 in the bike at this point. Not cheap, but the result is excellent, IMO.

The bike is 22 lbs with the Brooks seat. This is a slighter lighter weight than the Soma. Mechanically, the bike gets an A+. The frame is responsive, stable and fun to ride. Much smoother riding than a modern Aluminum bike. The drivetrain is quick shifting and the gear set with 46 & 38t chainrings and a 11-25 10 speed cassette has a tight range. I can travel at any speed from 10 to 33 mph and always maintain my target cadence of 85 to 100 rpm.

The bike is used for as a year-around damp weather bike. The full length fenders keep the rider and the bike clean. I'll also use the bike during the winter, this keeps my other bike free of road salt.

Everyone needs a bike for hazardous duty.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-13-11 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-12-11, 01:55 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
The bike shop stripped the bike of all parts, applied Framesaver and rebuilt the bike for $ in labor.
Nice bike!

This is the only sad part of the story. You paid someone else to do the fun part.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.