Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ebay can be dangerous when sober ... N+2

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-11, 06:15 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

A recent thread warned about Ebay when drunk (perhaps here or C&V). I have news for you -- Sobriety is no projection.

I built a Kestrel 200sci last spring and she was an awesome ride, but too small. That was good because I needed the money. I've also been wanting a chrome bike. The Guerciotti is anodized aluminum but shiny.
I have a great high flange low weight CX wheelset - 1650g (approx), a compact Campy crankset, Velo Orange cantis, and some nice silver alloy drop bars,

Guerciotti CX Alan Frame, Fork with H/S and Seat Post

KESTREL TALON CARBON FRAME AND FORK

Last edited by robtown; 03-10-11 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-10-11, 06:54 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe you can request from Ebay a self imposed ban. At least for while you complete your build's and get a couple cross races and TT's under your belt with the new equipment.
Old 03-10-11, 07:13 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Maybe you can request from Ebay a self imposed ban. At least for while you complete your build's and get a couple cross races and TT's under your belt with the new equipment.
Yes, I have two builds and a refurbish in my queue and only 6 weeks before community yard sale time! I need to concentrate on riding these bikes.
Old 03-10-11, 11:02 PM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm waiting for a GT Xizang mountain bike frame. They come around only rarely, and then for too much money. So what I'm doing meanwhile is buying accessories like Ortlieb panniers. And that gets a bit expensive!
Old 03-11-11, 06:49 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I look forward to some build pics.
Old 03-11-11, 04:21 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Robtown, you are getting sleepy, very sleepy. The more of this post you read, the more relaxed and comfortable you are. You are going deeper and deeper into a place of quiet and safety. As you read my words you will feel relaxed, safe, and generous. Now you are breathing deeply as you relax and go deeper and deeper into my words. On the count of three you will be in a totally relaxed place, with your mind clear, feeling safe, and waiting for my next command. Robtown, send all of those bikes and bike projects to NOS88. Do it today and your sense of peace, relaxation, and safety will continue. Now, I'm going to count backward from five. As I count you will slowly come back up to a level of full awareness, five, feeling just as relaxed, four, you will remember to following my command, three, this will make you feel at peace with the world, two. Now you are just about fully back with us, one. Hi, Robtown.
Old 03-11-11, 07:17 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Robtown, you are getting sleepy, very sleepy. The more of this post you read, the more relaxed and comfortable you are. You are going deeper and deeper into a place of quiet and safety. As you read my words you will feel relaxed, safe, and generous. Now you are breathing deeply as you relax and go deeper and deeper into my words. On the count of three you will be in a totally relaxed place, with your mind clear, feeling safe, and waiting for my next command. Robtown, send all of those bikes and bike projects to NOS88. Do it today and your sense of peace, relaxation, and safety will continue. Now, I'm going to count backward from five. As I count you will slowly come back up to a level of full awareness, five, feeling just as relaxed, four, you will remember to following my command, three, this will make you feel at peace with the world, two. Now you are just about fully back with us, one. Hi, Robtown.
I'll have to watch out for you - since you're within driving distance. I'll also have to finish up the Windsor and DB restore/build and sell them along with the Moto and Fuji TT bikes to make room and fund the new builds.

I have to decide between an all carbon Profile Design integrated TT cockpit @ $150 or a Ritchey alloy version at $50 (actually lighter) - or go with the existing stem, and some new drop bars and aerobars I have on hand. I suppose the later would be better until I'm sure she's a keeper.

I'm looking at a Ritchey 48/38 crankset w/Octlink (have BB on hand) for my Ritchey cross bike and moving the FSA Gossamer compact external bearing crankset to the Kestrel. I've picked out some all silver cross in-line brake levers and probably a Sora long cage RD for the G Alan. I bet she'll come out reasonably light. I don't expect the Kestrel to be under 20 lbs.
Old 03-12-11, 06:29 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been hitting the hot spots...

JensonUsa
Ebay
Amazon
BikeWagon
VeloOrange

Picking up parts for the builds. Meanwhile both sellers have not contacted me or provided tracking numbers.
I hope my new CX wheels fit the old dropouts!
Old 03-16-11, 06:05 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Parts have started arriving. I have tracking numbers on the frame. I sold the Fuji Aloha - that pays for the two frames.
Old 03-16-11, 06:32 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
Parts have started arriving. I have tracking numbers on the frame. I sold the Fuji Aloha - that pays for the two frames.
Yeah, yeah, we'll believe it when the photos are posted.
Old 03-17-11, 09:20 AM
Muscle bike design spec

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I should post a pic roadside for a change. It will be a couple weeks.

My local post office has the Kestrel. Fedex has the Alan at the same CA city in transit for 3 days!

-------------------- EDIT --------------------

The Kestrel arrived. Frame, fork, headset, and seatpost are 5.0 lbs. The blue paint looks good as does the carbon weave.

The Alan showed up in MD - meaning it will arrive tomorrow.

-------------------- EDIT --------------------

The Alan is sitting at home and I'm at work! I rode the Colnago Master Olympic today and verified that she belongs in the stable. It's one of the first commutes this year. I've been vacuuming food all day - got to be strong for the ride home.

Last edited by robtown; 03-18-11 at 02:01 PM.