Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Oh man, what a wife!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Oh man, what a wife!

Old 03-19-11, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh man, what a wife!

Mrs S just presented me with a gift certificate for a professional bike fitting for my birthday. Isn't she wonderful? So, get fitted on my current faithful ride or really celebrate the occasion with a fit on a new ride? Hm.
Old 03-19-11, 03:50 PM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you happy with your current bike? You know, a bird in the hand is worth more than how many in the bush???
Old 03-19-11, 10:36 PM

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thoughtful gift.

And n+1 is good anytime.
Old 03-19-11, 10:42 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by skilsaw
Thoughtful gift.

And n+1 is good anytime.
This. ^^^^^^

Happy Birthday!
Old 03-20-11, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
So, get fitted on my current faithful ride or really celebrate the occasion with a fit on a new ride? Hm.
Great wife! About 15 years ago, mine starting cycling on her own and by doing so rekindled my interest in it. We've been riding together ever since. I keep getting her cycling stuff...

Fits are portable between bikes. Once you have the relative positions of the crank, seat and bars working to your likings, adjust and select components to duplicate that on any other bike of the same general type. To do that requires a tape measure and plumb line.
Old 03-20-11, 08:07 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Great wife! About 15 years ago, mine starting cycling on her own and by doing so rekindled my interest in it. We've been riding together ever since. I keep getting her cycling stuff...

Fits are portable between bikes. Once you have the relative positions of the crank, seat and bars working to your likings, adjust and select components to duplicate that on any other bike of the same general type. To do that requires a tape measure and plumb line.
+1!
Old 03-20-11, 09:16 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My local shop did that when I was getting a new bike. It turned out that my old bike was pretty dialed in by me doing just what felt "right".

If you want to use this opportunity to justify an addition to your bicycle stable, by all means do so.
Old 03-20-11, 09:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why is a professional fit better than one that feels right? Isn't a professional fit a bunch of measurements to some sort of industry standard for what is right? A person may not fit the industry standard because of any number of reasons. Every body is different with different quirks.
Old 03-21-11, 07:43 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Mrs S just presented me with a gift certificate for a professional bike fitting for my birthday. Isn't she wonderful? So, get fitted on my current faithful ride or really celebrate the occasion with a fit on a new ride? Hm.
A pro fit is portable. Keep all the measurements and use them to fit N+1. No, use them to SELECT N+1.

I was told to "get fit before you buy your bike." I thought the guys in the club were crazy. Now I know they were right. But I lucked out. The bike I was riding was a '89 Trek 54 cm. It was a scoche too small. I got a Trek/Fuji compatible 56 cm and it fit perfect. I watched a ton of videos, and read a bunch of instructions on fitting, and fit myself. It was great for about 20 mi but then I got a back ache and numb hands. I broke down and got a Profit. Best $$ I spent on the bike. I couldn't believe it. And the fitter did very little, and remarked "how close it was." But I could feel the differnce in power and comfort.
Old 03-22-11, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bobthib
I couldn't believe it. And the fitter did very little, and remarked "how close it was." But I could feel the differnce in power and comfort.
Placebo effect?