Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I just gotta say, I like hills...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-11, 05:51 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil85207
I think it depends on where you are. Two years ago we spent the spring and summer in the Lake Placid NY area. I hated hills when I got there, but by the end of the summer I was right at home there and loved to do hills. Now that I am back in the Arizona desert the hills in my area are no match for the ones in Lake Placid. Most of my ridding is flatter and so hills have become more problematic.
Phil,

When I go up to Lake Placid it is usually for this ride: Downtown Wilmington to the top of Whiteface.

And for Beanz's sake:
Old 03-21-11, 06:05 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I'd have to say that 3 miles at 12% at the end of the Mountains of Misery Century is pretty tough.
See you there the end of May, Andy?
Old 03-21-11, 06:23 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PAlt
See you there the end of May, Andy?
I need to register though I had better get in shape if I'm going to ride it! Neal and I are planning to be there, for better or worse.
Old 03-21-11, 06:38 PM

Bikes: Madone 4.6,Salsa Casserole

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't live too far from there. What kind of gearing are you useing to make it up? I've often thought of driving over and trying it early evening after they close the too road. You're my newest hero.
Old 03-21-11, 06:57 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
How many hills must one roadie climb
before they call him a roadie?
Old 03-21-11, 07:16 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'm hill deprived.

To climb steeper hills, I need to put the bike in the car and drive 4 hours to the counties west of Madison, WI. Once I'm there, I can climb 10,000 accumilative feet in short but steep sections. It takes a few dozen climbs, over 100 miles. Plenty of 15 to 22 percent hills.

I live for it.
Old 03-22-11, 12:53 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I gotta have my hills. I have to travel quite a ways out of town to get any serious hillage, but luckily right in my neighborhood there are some really short, steep bits that hold the water from a local lake in place. Perfect for hill repeats. That's what I did last evening after work, when the thunderstorm that was predicted didn't come, and it was nearly 70 degrees... I was able to get in about 2400 ft of climbing over 18 miles. Perfect!

I'm doing Mountains of Misery again, too. This will be my third time. I plan to be in a lot better shape this year than I was last year, for sure!
Old 03-22-11, 01:50 PM

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I need to register though I had better get in shape if I'm going to ride it! Neal and I are planning to be there, for better or worse.
Great, hope we can meet up. I hope to have new ride by then.
Old 03-22-11, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Is there a difference between liking hills and liking to climb? Could one hate to climb, but like hills, or could one hate hills but like to climb?

I often like where hills take me, but don't always like the climb. Sometimes I like the climb because it challenges me or break the rythym of a ride. Somtimes I don't like either. Sometimes I like them both.
Old 03-22-11, 03:12 PM
Fred at large

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You do realize that you can be replaced for making comments like this. Don't you?
Old 03-22-11, 03:39 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I love hills too... even touring up them, with camping gear. At least I did - in my memory... I think that if I have done this, I can still do this...but my mind has to start talking to my knees!
Not only do you get such a rush from conquering the bump, you get to ride down the other side - a real adventure.
Old 03-22-11, 05:17 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I like to tie a grand piano to my bike and haul it around.... preferably into a nice stiff wind. There's no fun like that!
Old 03-22-11, 05:28 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Phil,

When I go up to Lake Placid it is usually for this ride: Downtown Wilmington to the top of Whiteface.

And for Beanz's sake:
We camped all summer in Wilmington at the North Pole Campground and I did Whiteface from there and from Bloomingdale too. The Ironman loop I did many times and lots of the surrounding towns too. I loved that area. I rode up above Plattsburg to Moors and over the bridge into Vermont and took a ferry back near Plattsburg again.
Old 03-22-11, 05:42 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Addison
I don't live too far from there. What kind of gearing are you useing to make it up? I've often thought of driving over and trying it early evening after they close the too road. You're my newest hero.
If you are talking about Whiteface I had a triple with 11/27 cassette. I can't remember when they close the road to the top but that's a lousy ride from the guard shack to the top. The road heaves badly which makes it a real pain to clime and to come back too. I usually turn off on the road to Bloomindale and make that loop through Saranac Lake and back to Willimgton.
Old 03-22-11, 06:19 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I can easily ride up the commonwealth ave hill, approaching Boston College, on my fixie. Long, but just the right angle for the entire distance. The next street over is Ward street. Same hill,
far less traffic passing you on the way up. Hills are great for building you up all over. (My opinion)

It is rather amusing / interesting to hear some people talk about how "I can't go that way, it's too hilly". Or, "I only ride here, because there aren't any hills." Hoo boy.
Old 03-22-11, 06:46 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
I'm fortunate to live on the edge of the knobstone escarpment. Outside my door it's flat, and north and east are miles of endless flats. 30 minutes southwest are endless short/steep hills. Despite being 6'3" 200#, I enjoy attacking the hills. A day in the flats can be a blast as well.

The only thing worse than a headwind, though, is a 5 mph tailwind up a long grinding climb on a 95 degree/90% humidity day under a baking sun.
Old 03-22-11, 07:08 PM

Bikes: Madone 4.6,Salsa Casserole

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
If you are talking about Whiteface I had a triple with 11/27 cassette. I can't remember when they close the road to the top but that's a lousy ride from the guard shack to the top. The road heaves badly which makes it a real pain to clime and to come back too. I usually turn off on the road to Bloomindale and make that loop through Saranac Lake and back to Willimgton.
I ride a compact double so 34/25 is as low as I go. It is a chore for me to do many of the hills/mountains around here. Every year I'm a better cyclist but there's the age thing that keeps the challenge formidable. I've yet to do the Whiteface toll road ,haven't even driven it as I'd prefer to ski down the other side, but I need to do it this summer. I think I might switch my cassette to an 11/28 just for that little extra. You guys/girls are inspiring. One more challenge.........
Old 03-23-11, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Addison
I ride a compact double so 34/25 is as low as I go...
I have SRAM 34-50 compact double with 11-28 cogs.

Here's a slick graphical gearing calculator that lets you compare gearing setups:

https://www.gear-calculator.com/#KB=3...5&UF=2099&SL=2
Old 03-23-11, 07:25 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I'm fortunate to live on the edge of the knobstone escarpment. Outside my door it's flat, and north and east are miles of endless flats. 30 minutes southwest are endless short/steep hills. Despite being 6'3" 200#, I enjoy attacking the hills. A day in the flats can be a blast as well.

The only thing worse than a headwind, though, is a 5 mph tailwind up a long grinding climb on a 95 degree/90% humidity day under a baking sun.
I've really enjoyed the Grand Touring/CIBA ride starting in Columbus the last couple of Springs in "western Bartholomew County and eastern Brown County. This ride will meander through Grandview Lake, Pikes Peak, Hoosier National Forest and other Indiana back road delights" https://www.cibaride.org/images/stori...desApr-Jun.pdf
Yes, you do have a bunch of hills down your way, next to some flat stuff.

Last edited by JanMM; 03-23-11 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-23-11, 08:15 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5463 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Since moving to one of the few un-glaciated areas of Illinois I have learned to enjoy hills. The views and relative lack of traffic make for pleasant rides. Long flat rides are boring, and I dislike headwinds. When you ride a lot of hills and curves the wind isn't so much of a factor. The only time I like long flat rides is if I have a destination.
Old 03-23-11, 08:45 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I've really enjoyed the Grand Touring/CIBA ride starting in Columbus the last couple of Springs in "western Bartholomew County and eastern Brown County. This ride will meander through Grandview Lake, Pikes Peak, Hoosier National Forest and other Indiana back road delights" https://www.cibaride.org/images/stori...desApr-Jun.pdf
Yes, you do have a bunch of hills down your way, next to some flat stuff.
Well that's certainly my stomping ground. If you see a white V-Rex with a blue fork out there, that'd be me.
Old 03-24-11, 10:50 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Well that's certainly my stomping ground. If you see a white V-Rex with a blue fork out there, that'd be me.
Hard to miss those funny-looking bikes.........the white ones, I mean. Mine's silver/yellow.
Old 03-25-11, 04:42 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
I see so many off-hand comments about hating hills that I gotta say, I like hills. I actively search out rides with more hill. I like standing up and pumping up short hills, and sitting and grinding up long steep hills. I like the vistas that getting to the top often provides. Fast descents are fun too, unless they get tediously long. I dislike long flat rides. I also kinda like riding into stiff headwinds.

I know I'm not alone, as there are many group rides that feature climbs.
I'm guessing you must be 145-155 lbs??
Old 03-25-11, 06:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I'm guessing you must be 145-155 lbs??
Don't be bustin' us skinny guys...
Old 03-25-11, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Even some of us larger folks love the hills. Most of the places I have lived have flat roads full of carelessly driven cars and hilly roads that have much less traffic. I prefer the latter. Of course, I did live in the Sacramento Valley for twenty years where hills are so rare their value becomes enhanced. After so many years of having to ride ridiculous distances in order to get to some hills, it would be inappropriate to complain about them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.