Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sweet Commute Ride on my Beater Bike!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 09:05 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Yesterday, the forecast was to be bright, sunny and temps going pass 60. Which bike do I take for the commute to work? My so-called Beater bike(86 Schwinn Prelude I picked up for $50 off CL)!!After banging a couple hills, moving up to the big chainring on the flats and kicking it, the bike is telling me something good!!

Since I chose to ride this bike on what was going to be a bright, sunny and warm day, this bike might be coming out the beater role!! BTW, I took the super long way home too!

Fast foward to this morning. I was supposed to take the motorcycle for the commute this morning, but it is RAINING..... Wait a minute, I got a "beater bike"..I looked around in the closet to see if I could find the yellow rain jacket that my wife wears, and there it was. Sheesh, I pulled out the Prelude, set it outside and let the rain drops get on it and to see if it was cold. Not cold.. Came inside geared up..On the Prelude in the rain.. The Prelude is really pulling beater-bike-duty now, because no way I would bring any of my bikes out in this rain, not even the motorcycle..

Clicking across the flats, I still hit the big chainring and kicked it. The Prelude responded and moved swifter!! Oh boy, I say to myself, this can't be this good!!

On the way coming out the door, I grabbed a bottle of the white lightning chain lub and a rag. When I got to work, wiped the bike off, lubed the chain...And smiled like a 10 year old.. Didn't know what I been missing...

However, I might be on the lookout for another beater bike. This bike although it is pulling beater duty, and only cost me $50, it is destined to be one of my favorite rides, and I will ride it on bright sunny days too.. Didn't mean to run it, just sharing the fun of riding in the rain on a $50 bike..

The last stop at work...Thinking about doing rainy lunch ride too..

Old 03-24-11, 08:59 AM

Bikes: Soma Stanyan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For $50 bucks, sweet!
Old 03-24-11, 11:18 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I got my '87 Prelude for $50 as well.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-24-11, 11:46 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I got my '87 Prelude for $50 as well.
Doo, on these $50 Preludes, all I can say is the bicycle gods have smiled on us nicely!!
Old 03-24-11, 07:06 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I actually traded it to brockd15. He had a Raleigh Super Course that was a bit big for him, and the Prelude was a bit small for me, so we traded and now we both have bikes that fit.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-25-11, 08:49 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I actually traded it to brockd15. He had a Raleigh Super Course that was a bit big for him, and the Prelude was a bit small for me, so we traded and now we both have bikes that fit.
When Raleighs are my favorites, or should I say, one of my favorites..

I was looking a Raleigh Super Course frame, mid 80s, and size 63cm on Ebay..But, it has been on there forever. I asked the seller would he take offers and didn't get answer. I am not buying something that been up for sale for over 3 months, and no takers.. Dunno what it is..

Here it is...

https://cgi.ebay.com/RALEIGH-SUPER-CO...item4cf2b5b83c
Old 03-25-11, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
That's a sweet bike, CE.

I have a mid 80's Prelude frame (Columbus Tenex tubing) hanging in my basement which I would love to build up but it's a 61cm CTC which is waaay too big for me.