Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Ride - oops - RUN your age? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/723355-ride-oops-run-your-age.html)

DnvrFox 03-28-11 01:18 PM

Ride - oops - RUN your age?

Met a guy yesterday on my ride who had just finished a 28 mile run - a bit over 4 hours (or thereabouts). His goal, when he turns 50 next month, is to RUN his age.

Heck, he also bikes like crazy - like duathlons.

(Oh, and he swims, also). Not into tri's, though.

To top it all off, he is a very nice guy.

And, he said that I was his role model - (like bicycling and swimming at 71).

That sort of made my day. :)

big john 03-28-11 07:48 PM

My LBS guy is a former Ultra runner and has competed in several 100 mile runs, including mountains and off-road trails. It takes so much time to train for those things, and he doesn't do them anymore. Last year he did one 50 mile run and in December he did a 26 mile marathon in sand.
He's in his mid 50s.

wobblyoldgeezer 03-29-11 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 12423875)
Met a guy yesterday on my ride who had just finished a 28 mile run - a bit over 4 hours (or thereabouts). His goal, when he turns 50 next month, is to RUN his age.

Heck, he also bikes like crazy - like duathlons.

(Oh, and he swims, also). Not into tri's, though.

To top it all off, he is a very nice guy.

And, he said that I was his role model - (like bicycling and swimming at 71).

That sort of made my day. :)

Good for BOTH of you

freedomrider1 03-29-11 06:11 PM

Those are great stories to hear.I have been training to run a half marathon and it has been tough, its kept be busy and out of trouble.

Phil85207 03-29-11 07:08 PM

I can run my age but not very fast and not much farther. 71 feet.

Doug64 03-29-11 11:23 PM

I ran my age annually until I turned 49, but had to quite running when I was hurt in a climbing accident. My plan was to run my age until I turned 50 and then start taking off a mile for every year after 50. That way when I reached 100 I could just sit in my easy chair and enjoy a beer. It did get me back to serious cycling which works well with all the hardware in my leg. In retrospect, that was a pretty good tradeoff.

LAriverRat 03-29-11 11:31 PM

If God wanted me to run he would have given me 4 legs.

cehowardGS 03-30-11 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by LAriverRat (Post 12431923)
If God wanted me to run he would have given me 4 legs.

Can't be put any better than that!! :D

cehowardGS 03-30-11 09:23 AM

Great reports and responses in this thread. I can't get enough of motovational and inspirational threads and this is a great one!! :thumb:

Now, on that running your age thing. In my 40s, I could run 20 to 25 miles, but my knees gave away. Can't run or put in those long distances..

However, I put in another twist/option to keep my motovation going. Doing my age in pushups!! At 62, it was easy.. However, at 70 the years are taking its tool and the body is wearing down.. Right now, I am at 55 pushups..But, I am going to make my age by July...:)

DnvrFox 03-30-11 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by cehowardGS (Post 12433191)
However, I put in another twist/option to keep my motovation going. Doing my age in pushups!! At 62, it was easy.. However, at 70 the years are taking its tool and the body is wearing down.. Right now, I am at 55 pushups..But, I am going to make my age by July...:)

Heck - I am only at 40 PU's - but working on it. :) - need to get to 72! by November 7th. But, I have to lift a couple of hundred pounds, while you are just a featherweight!

kr32 03-30-11 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by cehowardGS (Post 12433191)
Right now, I am at 55 pushups..But, I am going to make my age by July...:)

I'm thinking the next 15 by July should be a piece of cake for you. :innocent:

Booger1 03-30-11 09:36 AM

My younger brother(48) is in the middle of running across the U.S and biking back.He runs about 40 miles a day.I think running your age is possible.I couldn't do it when I was 20.I had 2 lifetimes worth of running in the U.S.Marines.If I never run again,I won't miss it.

Allegheny Jet 03-30-11 09:52 AM

I ran track in college. Every year I receive an invite to take part in the annual alumni vs. cross country team in a 5 mile race. For every year from graduation the alumni get a 50 meter head start. In the next race I would have a 1,850 meter head start. The factor that one of my ankles is fused together prevents me from even dreaming of the challenge.

I really have to admire the fitness, determination and time that someone has to put in to run the ultra distance events. I don’t think I ever ran 50% of my age on any run even when I was in my youth while training in HS and college.

cehowardGS 03-30-11 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 12433237)
Heck - I am only at 40 PU's - but working on it. :) - need to get to 72! by November 7th. But, I have to lift a couple of hundred pounds, while you are just a featherweight!

40 PU, you rollin!! :thumb: I don't know if you will get that 72 by November, however, any number you make/do on Nov 7th, you still going to be winner!! :beer:

Yeah, I know I am a super lightweight...;)

cehowardGS 03-30-11 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by kr32 (Post 12433250)
I'm thinking the next 15 by July should be a piece of cake for you. :innocent:

I hope you right, but as my rep count goes up, the harder they get... :cry:.. Sheesh, if I don't watch out my wife will catch me!! :cry:

dstrong 03-30-11 12:39 PM

I can see cycling my age but i think the running one gets exponentially tougher the older you get. "Easy" for him to say that at 28...but at 50? On a seperate note, my dad skied 70 days the year he turned 70...never skied his age again. He skied until he was 81 then took a fall, cracked some ribs and hit his head...never really regained his balance properly afterwards...so no more skiing.

Garilia 03-30-11 12:59 PM

I haven't been able to run my age in miles since I was about 3.

DnvrFox 03-30-11 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by dstrong (Post 12434224)
I can see cycling my age but i think the running one gets exponentially tougher the older you get. "Easy" for him to say that at 28...but at 50? On a seperate note, my dad skied 70 days the year he turned 70...never skied his age again. He skied until he was 81 then took a fall, cracked some ribs and hit his head...never really regained his balance properly afterwards...so no more skiing.

The guy was 49, ran 28 miles. He was not 28.

sarals 03-31-11 10:00 AM

I can run 5.9 miles...actually, 6.2 (and I'm not 62, yet). Does that count?

I have two brothers (younger, but in their 50's) who are marathoners. I don't know how they do it! But, my goal is to run a half marathon sometime in the next year. I have run two 10K's this year (so far).

As long as the training doesn't get in the way of riding (like triathlon training has)!

cccorlew 03-31-11 11:01 AM

I can run my age... in feet.

LAriverRat 04-01-11 11:01 AM

I run all the time, run to the store, run errands, get the run around from the phone company, run late sometimes, run into a old friend from time to time, run to the Fridge for another cold one while watching the two time defending world champion Lakers play, feel run down some times from over training and Hardening The F... Up(not really, its just old age.....Time running out!). Ya, running is part of my life wether i like it or not.

DnvrFox 04-01-11 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by LAriverRat (Post 12443626)
I run all the time, run to the store, run errands, get the run around from the phone company, run late sometimes, run into a old friend from time to time, run to the Fridge for another cold one while watching the two time defending world champion Lakers play, feel run down some times from over training and Hardening The F... Up(not really, its just old age.....Time running out!). Ya, running is part of my life wether i like it or not.

I think you ran out of steam.

DnvrFox 04-02-11 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by cehowardGS (Post 12434015)
40 PU, you rollin!! :thumb: I don't know if you will get that 72 by November, however, any number you make/do on Nov 7th, you still going to be winner!! :beer:

Yeah, I know I am a super lightweight...;)

45 pushups this am - maybe I will make 72? :)

oldster 04-02-11 10:13 AM

I need to have intact knee joints to bike,,,will never run again...
Bud

cehowardGS 04-06-11 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 12447499)
45 pushups this am - maybe I will make 72? :)

Keepin readin my stuff and you be doing 80! ;)