Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fixed gear for Seniors

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fixed gear for Seniors

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-14, 03:49 PM
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by autoteacher
Now I need a link to information on how to determine the size gears I want. I am thinking of looking at a 48 tooth crank set. Is that a good start?
The traditional set-up for a clubrider's off season FG riding was in the low-mid 70 gear inches.
I'm running a 48 X 18, which is a 70GI.

The best resource for fixed gear riding on the road is the late Sheldon Brown, who has also provided a handy online gear calculator.

Articles about Fixed Gear Cycling and Equipment

-Bandera
Old 07-03-14, 05:13 PM

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Grand Prix fixie,85 League Fuji w/ flat bars, 87 Cannondale ST400, League Fuji Fixie, Raleigh Pursuit Fixie, 93 Cannondale M500, Kabuki Submariner 12, 90 Fuji Suncrest, Peugeot Mixte project

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
Folks, don't forget The Fixed Gear Gallery, a very good hangout for fixed gear
enthusiasts.

Here is a thought: I wonder what a Bianchi Pista, or Raleigh Rush hour would be like, re-built with one of the new, Sturmey Archer S3X
Hubs? Just a thought....
+1 on The Fixed Gear Gallery. Great fixies from all over the world. I visit there daily.

Here's a couple of reviews on the Sturmey Archer S3X which have the same pros and cons as other reviews on the product I've read. Also a thread from BikeForum

https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespee...lications.html
Sturmey Archer S3X review - Cycling Weekly
Vance's Sturmey Archer S3X Fixed Gear Blog

At around $200 (plus rim, spokes, lacing), they cost more than most of my bikes. Having a choice of gears while maintaining a fixed cog sounds ideal. The part of the review about the backlash is what concerns me. Part of the FG experience is the back pressure on the pedal. This sounds like it would feel like riding with a loose chain. Anyone have first hand experience wit the SA S3X? I'm allergic to buyer's remorse.
Old 07-03-14, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by jodphoto
+1 on The Fixed Gear Gallery. Great fixies from all over the world. I visit there daily.

Here's a couple of reviews on the Sturmey Archer S3X which have the same pros and cons as other reviews on the product I've read. Also a thread from BikeForum

At around $200 (plus rim, spokes, lacing), they cost more than most of my bikes. Having a choice of gears while maintaining a fixed cog sounds ideal. The part of the review about the backlash is what concerns me. Part of the FG experience is the back pressure on the pedal. This sounds like it would feel like riding with a loose chain. Anyone have first hand experience wit the SA S3X? I'm allergic to buyer's remorse.
Yep. Got one. Have not had it out this year yet, but planning to dig it out for tomorrow's ride.
Any gear train must have gear lash or it will bind and wear out in very short order. It becomes more apparent in a fixed gear system as there is no freewheeling.
I had no prior experience with fixies prior to building my S3X bike, so the lash did not really bug me because I expected it.
Old 07-03-14, 09:12 PM

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Grand Prix fixie,85 League Fuji w/ flat bars, 87 Cannondale ST400, League Fuji Fixie, Raleigh Pursuit Fixie, 93 Cannondale M500, Kabuki Submariner 12, 90 Fuji Suncrest, Peugeot Mixte project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Yep. Got one. Have not had it out this year yet, but planning to dig it out for tomorrow's ride.
Any gear train must have gear lash or it will bind and wear out in very short order. It becomes more apparent in a fixed gear system as there is no freewheeling.
I had no prior experience with fixies prior to building my S3X bike, so the lash did not really bug me because I expected it.
Thanks for the perspective. I hope it doesn't bug you in the future. I'll regret having mentioned it.
Old 07-03-14, 09:32 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
At around $200 (plus rim, spokes, lacing), [an S3X wheel] cost more than most of my bikes. Having a choice of gears while maintaining a fixed cog sounds ideal. The part of the review about the backlash is what concerns me. Part of the FG experience is the back pressure on the pedal. This sounds like it would feel like riding with a loose chain. Anyone have first hand experience wit the SA S3X? I'm allergic to buyer's remorse.
Yes, I have an S3X on one of my bikes.

I have it set up as a "weather" bike with mudguards; I ride it in the winter and rode it on a rainy century last year. There is a little lash in the mechanism, but no worse than a slightly loose chain on a standard fixed gear. The lash is needed to allow torque to be relieved during gear changes,. The ratios are 0.625/0.75/1.0; I think I'd prefer the old ASC ratios of 0.75/0.90/1.0, but since ASC hubs are rare and even more expensive, I can live with this.
Old 07-03-14, 11:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by autoteacher
I have a bike!

Now I need a link to information on how to determine the size gears I want. I am thinking of looking at a 48 tooth crank set. Is that a good start?

Keep in mind that I will be starting VERY slowly. Like in a large parking lot at work.
19 may be a good cog.That's a bout 2.5 to 1. It's comfortable. You may try and coast once or twice but your muscles quickly remember not to stop pedaling.
Old 07-04-14, 10:00 AM

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
After nineteen years riding fixed I recently gave it up. After rupturing my Achilles tendon at work I'm simply too paranoid that if I get into a mishap I could rupture it again and I can't afford to take that chance. My fixie is now sold to a young person that wants to give it a whirl. Oh well, I've had my fun with it.
Old 07-04-14, 02:09 PM

Felt good to ride fixed for the first time this season. Only had time for a 16 km ride, but it was a good one.

Old 07-05-14, 08:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smurfy
After nineteen years riding fixed I recently gave it up. After rupturing my Achilles tendon at work I'm simply too paranoid that if I get into a mishap I could rupture it again and I can't afford to take that chance. My fixie is now sold to a young person that wants to give it a whirl. Oh well, I've had my fun with it.
I have read articles about it but never fully understood why fixed is worse for legs than geared bikes. Do you still ride a geared bike? What are your observations? What mishaps specific to fixed gear do you wish to avoid? I'm not being nosey or argumentative. My wife has had to stop riding because of her knees and would like to start again in a limited way. It's hard finding info that is not contradictory. In any case, I hope you remain well.

Last edited by jodphoto; 07-05-14 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-05-14, 09:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Felt good to ride fixed for the first time this season. Only had time for a 16 km ride, but it was a good one.
Dan,

Great videos on your channel. I'll have lots of dumb questions for you in the future.

Nice bike and nice spot there. A place to lean the bike, a great view and places to sit. That's all you need.

16 km, thats like 25 miles, right?
Old 07-05-14, 09:37 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have read articles about it but never fully understood why fixed is worse for legs than geared bikes. Do you still ride a geared bike? What are your observations? What mishaps specific to fixed gear do you wish to avoid? I'm not being nosey or argumentative. My wife has had to stop riding because of her knees and would like to start again in a limited way. It's hard finding info that is not contradictory. In any case, I hope you remain well.
Fixed is not intrinsically "worse" for legs than a bike with a freewheel. But it does impose different demands, and it is harder on the knees.

If you ride a track bike without brakes, you can slow down quickly only by exerting reverse pressure on the pedals. That imposes new and different pressure on the knees. Even if you have front and rear brakes, as I have on mine, you still modulate your speed using the pedals, not just the brakes. It's a stressor.

Plus, you pick a single gear - say 70 or 72 inches - that has to serve you for all terrains. You accelerate away from the lights in that gear. You climb in that gear, usually out of the saddle, sometime right at the limit of your strength. You spin down the hills in that gear, you can't coast. If your knees are in good shape, I absolutely wouldn't discourage you from riding fixed, it's a lot of fun and one really does feel more connected with the bike. But if your wife's knees are vulnerable, don't encourage her to experiment with a fixed gear.
Old 07-05-14, 09:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dan,

Just viewed your very clear, informative video on the Sturmey Archer S3X fixed IG hub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJmU...yVTi-h&index=8

My take away from this video is that the high (3rd) gear is where one should spend most of their time since the mechanism is locked together and probably stronger as a unit. The 2nd and 1st gear are there for help on hills. So the drive cog you choose should be your "highest normal" fixed gear ratio. Are my assumptions correct?

Excellent videos.

Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.
Old 07-05-14, 10:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Fixed is not intrinsically "worse" for legs than a bike with a freewheel. But it does impose different demands, and it is harder on the knees.

If you ride a track bike without brakes, you can slow down quickly only by exerting reverse pressure on the pedals. That imposes new and different pressure on the knees. Even if you have front and rear brakes, as I have on mine, you still modulate your speed using the pedals, not just the brakes. It's a stressor.

Plus, you pick a single gear - say 70 or 72 inches - that has to serve you for all terrains. You accelerate away from the lights in that gear. You climb in that gear, usually out of the saddle, sometime right at the limit of your strength. You spin down the hills in that gear, you can't coast. If your knees are in good shape, I absolutely wouldn't discourage you from riding fixed, it's a lot of fun and one really does feel more connected with the bike. But if your wife's knees are vulnerable, don't encourage her to experiment with a fixed gear.
This all makes sense. Thanks for bringing clarity to this issue.

No, my wife has indicated where I should put my fixie (I don't mean the garage). That settled, I'm working the geared, comfort, upright, step through angle for her. I'll carry all the stuff on my all steel MTB with knobbies on the path with her so she can pass me at will.
Old 07-05-14, 12:01 PM

16 km, thats like 25 miles, right?
Um, yeah if you say so.
Old 07-05-14, 12:05 PM

Dan,

Just viewed your very clear, informative video on the Sturmey Archer S3X fixed IG hub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJmU...yVTi-h&index=8

My take away from this video is that the high (3rd) gear is where one should spend most of their time since the mechanism is locked together and probably stronger as a unit. The 2nd and 1st gear are there for help on hills. So the drive cog you choose should be your "highest normal" fixed gear ratio. Are my assumptions correct?

Excellent videos.

Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.
Thank you very much.
Your take away is quite correct. I don't think a human could develop enough torque to damage this thing in direct lockup. Providing of course, that proper shifter adjustment is maintained.
I read lots of horror stories about this hub, particularly the early production ones. Mine is an early production model, and so far, nary a hiccup.
Old 07-05-14, 04:46 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Dan,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJmUds2YQ74&list=PLxn6T6UL2lSrBed0WeIGZxhd1WdyVTi-h&index=

... Excellent videos.
+1 Your videos are very informative and well done. Thanks!
Old 07-06-14, 08:02 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Me Too!

Mr. Burkhart, your videos are terrific. Thank you! Now, the reviews of the S3X hub are mixed, at best. Some report riding them daily, with no problems. Others, not so much.
Some report severe breakage very quickly.

I have breaks on both wheels of my Gunnar Street Dog, but on the flats, I frequently bring the bike to a complete stop buy simply standing and applying firm back
pressure on the pedals. If I cannot do this, it's a deal breaker.

I do seem to remember when the product was finally introduced, that a flat-bar shifter and a downtube shifter were in future offerings. Not to be an old fuddy-duddy,
but what happened to these?
Old 07-06-14, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by trackhub
Me Too!

Mr. Burkhart, your videos are terrific. Thank you! Now, the reviews of the S3X hub are mixed, at best. Some report riding them daily, with no problems. Others, not so much.
Some report severe breakage very quickly.

I have breaks on both wheels of my Gunnar Street Dog, but on the flats, I frequently bring the bike to a complete stop buy simply standing and applying firm back
pressure on the pedals. If I cannot do this, it's a deal breaker.

I do seem to remember when the product was finally introduced, that a flat-bar shifter and a downtube shifter were in future offerings. Not to be an old fuddy-duddy,
but what happened to these?
Thank you very much.
There is a flat bar (thumbie) and bar end shifter. Either one can be adapted to Shimano type downtube bosses.
Old 07-06-14, 10:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mr. Burkhart,

If one reads between the lines here, one can sense that the main reason for the S3X failures COULD BE incorrect shifter adjustment. I looked around and didn't find a tutorial on how to adjust the shifting un the S3X. Would you tell us what are the frequent errors that are made? Also that would be a good video to have access to.

THANKS A TON for your info.
Old 07-06-14, 11:42 AM

Mr. Burkhart,

If one reads between the lines here, one can sense that the main reason for the S3X failures COULD BE incorrect shifter adjustment. I looked around and didn't find a tutorial on how to adjust the shifting un the S3X. Would you tell us what are the frequent errors that are made? Also that would be a good video to have access to.

THANKS A TON for your info.
Well in third,(direct gear), the cable must be completely slack, no tension. In 1st and second, the sliding key which engages the sun gears, one at a time, coupling them to the axle,should be in complete engagement with one gear at a time.
Each Sturmey Archer hub with indicator spindle type shifting has a specific indicator spindle with a coloured or scribed mark which is supposed to indicate proper adjustment when the mark is even with the end of the axle when the shifter is in 2nd gear.
Mine has the Mark white indicator, the white mark painted on the first link of the chain, and virtually invisible. I have always adjusted it in the traditional 3 speed adjustment method. Fully slack in 3rd, almost but not completely taut in first. No ill effects so far.
Old 07-06-14, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To Set the Stage:
Yesterday I rode 75 miles through rollers/grades about 2,000' of elevation Wind was moderate 10-12 maybe 15 mph before the end of the ride. I rode with two friends my son's age. It wasn't an easy ride. Not crazy hard but a steady tempo mile after mile. After a 5 mile warm up we averaged 18.5 for 55 miles none of which was flat. Then 10 miles of hills into the wind and 5 mile cool down.

His Question:
One of my friends can't understand why I ride fixed gear often especially when the ride is not easy for a geared bike why make it harder. He asked me that question yesterday afternoon. A fair question. And as I thought about it I'm not sure I had a good answer or at least one he could understand. I find something addictive about riding fixed gear when the weather (wind not over 15 mph) and route (no serious climbing) are encouraging. I have front and rear brakes and get no "zen" from back pressure. But I do feel much more connected to the bike. A slight up or down in the road is immediately apparent. The drivetrain is super efficient. And I love when I can keep up with gear rides. They are shifting into easier gears and I shift up into a larger gear with my legs. There was a 10 mile section we were riding 21-23 and I was spinning 110-115 rpm. But it is all very difficult to explain or rationalize. other than it's "fun" and I ride to have fun-no one will pay me to ride a bike so it had better be "fun'. There is a simpleness to it that has a romance of the early days of the TdF and rejection of technology. Or maybe it is just an ego thing to be the old man on the fixed gear and hang in with geared riders, but with some miles in the legs it isn't much harder than riding a geared bike if the climbs aren't hard or not having to fight the wind.
Old 07-06-14, 02:57 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bowzette: it's the connection to the bike, for me. I don't ride fixed all the time, but when the terrain is suitable and I get out the FG I invariably get a kick out of it. There's a purity to the experience that just works.
Old 07-06-14, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasm54
Bowzette: it's the connection to the bike, for me. I don't ride fixed all the time, but when the terrain is suitable and I get out the FG I invariably get a kick out of it. There's a purity to the experience that just works.
yes I'm not going to fight the wind, do hard climbs or mess up a group ride. We do have regather points on the Saturday group ride so if I get dropped I can get back in.
Old 07-06-14, 04:30 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.5fx, Specialized Roubaix Comp, Allez , Create 2013, Dutch sit up and beg, Mountain bike,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Affixed
Yes, call me an idiot, but I just rode a fixed gear bike for the first time, and I'll be 60 in two months. I ride road bikes (and mtn) regularly. What an experience! Frankly, I was quite nervous, but I've ridden it twice around town and I seem to be getting it. I am running a front brake. I haven't fallen or bled yet, but there's still time.... Anyone else here try this crazy stuff at our age?
I am 54 and I bought miles 9 months ago was Great fun but not in traffic didn't want to take a chances with my reactions so have now gone ss
Old 07-06-14, 04:33 PM
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Winnershcyclist
I am 54 and I bought miles 9 months ago was Great fun but not in traffic didn't want to take a chances with my reactions so have now gone ss
Riding FG on the road is not for everyone.

-Bandera

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.